Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Re: The New Market House...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    Do people realize that there is actually less blatant corporate sponsorship today in Disneyland than there was when Walt was alive? If you think Starbucks is bad just think we still could have McDonalds' in the parks. Bring MSUSA's soul back and reopen the bra and smoke shop.
    Those Main Street shops were actually fairly comfortable in the Mani Street context. They were pretty much Main Street types of mercantile establishments.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Since when did money become no object? And I doubt Walt really needed Sunkist to sell orange juice. But I understand that people are upset because it's Starbucks and since they are so ubiquitous it's not very special. On one hand it's just coffee, on the other it's coffee! And people who like coffee will have a much better park experience if they can get decent cup of coffee. If you are not really a coffee drinker you wouldn't understand. Sure they could have contracted with a small local (with even better) coffee provider but for a lot of reasons it makes a lot more since to do so with a well-known international chain. I think they managed to strike a good balance between the requirements needed to accommodate the crowds and design that fits into Main Street.
    Walt brought Sunkist into the parks for two main reasons: 1) To instill positive happy feelings upon his guests that comes about from drinking free-squeezed orange juice on a bright sunny day and 2) To pay homage to the fact that Disneyland sits on land that was once an orange grove.

He he could have chosen any company but Sunkist already was involved in the original grove that was once there so that company was probably the most convenient company to approach at that time to get involved.

• Indiana Scott

Since when did money become no object?
    Please note that I said IF money was no object. I never said money was no object.
    Indeed money did become a real issue during construction because of Walts requirements for nothing but the best. Only rarely did he give into his brothers concerns and scale back.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Please note that I said IF money was no object. I never said money was no object.
    Indeed money did become a real issue during construction because of Walts requirements for nothing but the best. Only rarely did he give into his brothers concerns and scale back.
    Fair enough. But I don't know how people could possibly know what Walt Disney would have done under different circumstances. Given what I've read about him I am not at all sure certain that Walt Disney wouldn't mind Starbucks on Main Street. So I'm trying figure out why people think this is so horrible? I have never been to a Starbucks that looks like the Market House, just saying.

I doubt the SB coming to DTD will upset me nearly as much. That's outside the actual fantasy part, people who want their morning coffee can get it, and we don't interrupt the illusion of Main Street. That one doesn't even necessarily have to be pretty- my expectations of its aesthetics are significantly lower than of things that go in the park.

I like coffee, and visit my local SB pretty regularly, but the branding of *absolutely everything* lately is driving me crazy. I don't feel much loyalty to any particular brands of things, and I resent the marketing that seems to think I should.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Indiana Scott

Fair enough. But I don't know how people could possibly know what Walt Disney would have done under different circumstances. Given what I've read about him I am not at all sure certain that Walt Disney wouldn't mind Starbucks on Main Street. So I'm trying figure out why people think this is so horrible? I have never been to a Starbucks that looks like the Market House, just saying.
    Oh I agree, Walt would have happily accepted SB's financial contribution. I don't think he would be giddy over having another corporate name displayed but he would have accepted them.
    It's just that seeing modern corporate signage in the park detracts from the atmosphere IMO.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Disney is not made of money. They do still have budgetary limitations placed on them and they do still take on sponsors for that very reason.
    The scale is now magnitudes different than it was in the 1950s and 1960s. Disney maintains sponsorships because it is additional revenue. Many of the sponsorships today are not even for big, expensive projects. What was the last major, sponsored attraction to open in the United States? I think that title goes to Mission: SPACE.

First rule of business. If you can, do not use your own money.

• Nic

As someone who hasn't experienced the new Market House, would you mind giving explanations on why you don't like it rather than just typing horrible in all caps?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    As someone who hasn't experienced the new Market House, would you mind giving explanations on why you don't like it rather than just typing horrible in all caps?
    Who is typing horrible in all caps? There are some great explanations in this thread.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617