Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: The New Market House...

I am still lamenting the loss of the Penny Arcade. It used to be filled with penny squishers and unique interesting machines. Now it is a shell with candy and merchandise. The uniqueness of all the shops has been slowly eroding, being replaced with cookie cutter junk that is found in every store in the park, or world of disney outside.

^^ Thx to Queen Meg Of Florida. But WDI's lack of artistic talent must be mentioned too.

I'll contend that it's slightly less charming, but I don't find the changes to be that frustrating or theme-wrecking. It could have been done a bit better, as fiddler/fifer/practical showed, but it certainly isn't the train-wreck that people seem to be making it out as. As long as those party lines get turned back on soon, I have no rage.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Nevermind
    Last edited by Wren; 09-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I'm okay with it. Personally, I think that the design would have much better appeal if Starbucks wasn't there. I think people's hate for that brand automatically makes even the tiniest changes horrible.

Disney has been doing this stuff from the very beginning. Examples include Casa de Fritos and that Welch's booth in Fantasyland. This isn't exactly new for Disney.
    +1
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    I am still lamenting the loss of the Penny Arcade. It used to be filled with penny squishers and unique interesting machines. Now it is a shell with candy and merchandise. The uniqueness of all the shops has been slowly eroding, being replaced with cookie cutter junk that is found in every store in the park, or world of disney outside.

Me, too. I used to visit the BioRhythms machine on every visit. Some idiot kept jamming it and eventually they quit fixing it and now it's gone, too. It's a very sad thing.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Examples include Casa de Fritos and that Welch's booth in Fantasyland. This isn't exactly new for Disney.

Casa was just a sponser. It wasn't a Frito store in the middle of Frontierland like at a mall. And Welchs at least had the Fantasia mural. I love how people use NON-Main Street examples, completely avoiding the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    I swear you guys find anything to complain about. It looks fine you guys are so dramatic.
    this

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    ^^ Thx to Queen Meg Of Florida. But WDI's lack of artistic talent must be mentioned too.

I won't argue about the merits or lack of merit of Main Street Starbucks. But to insult the talent of the WDI artists is unnecessary, inacurate and shows a lack of understanding of how things work in the world. The WDI artists are only allowed to build what they are told to build. They can't just design and build anything they want. It doesn't work that way. When they are given the projects and budgets that allow them to create masterpieces, that's what we get.
    The problem isn't the imagineers. It's the decisions from the bosses. (As well as the reinforcement they get from the public in terms of profits.)

Problem is, main street, doesn't look very old timish. Kind of how the TV show happy days looked like it was in the 50s, then evolved into some bizarre land with no determinable time period. Now its more like Vague Street.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I won't argue about the merits or lack of merit of Main Street Starbucks. But to insult the talent of the WDI artists is unnecessary, inacurate and shows a lack of understanding of how things work in the world. The WDI artists are only allowed to build what they are told to build. They can't just design and build anything they want. It doesn't work that way. When they are given the projects and budgets that allow them to create masterpieces, that's what we get.
    The problem isn't the imagineers. It's the decisions from the bosses. (As well as the reinforcement they get from the public in terms of profits.)
    Not necessarily true, most in this forum can attest that Ariel's Undersea Adventure is pretty poorly designed even though they had a great budget and were given the green light. Personally I also think Radiator Springs Racers and both adjacent attractions are poorly designed and implemented for the budget they received, but that discussion would take too long. Just saying, the Imagineers are not infallible.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-26-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Your telling me there is not a CLEAR artistic difference between the Carnation/Gibson Girl/Candy Palace redos? Jolly Holiday? to the mall store that's in the Market House?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Examples include Casa de Fritos and that Welch's booth in Fantasyland. This isn't exactly new for Disney.

Casa was just a sponser. It wasn't a Frito store in the middle of Frontierland like at a mall. And Welchs at least had the Fantasia mural. I love how people use NON-Main Street examples, completely avoiding the point.
    Casa de Fritos had a vending machine in which Klondike would mine a bag of golden chips for you to eat. It was a point of sale location for Fritos, not just a sponsorship. In fact there was an entire song for this.

Just as a point of fact.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    I agree, this remodel of the Market House is part of a trend on Main Street... I am still upset about what has happened to the Penny Arcade and the Bank... and frankly the Plaza Pavilion and Carnation Cafe/Blue Ribbon Bakery which, to me, has the same feeling as the pig cafe in DCA. Dark wood and black and white photos on the walls do not atmosphere make. Putting photos of a time and place on the walls does not make one feel that they are IN that time and place. Lazy excuse for theming.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Not necessarily true, most in this forum can attest that Ariel's Undersea Adventure is pretty poorly designed even though they had a great budget and were given the green light. Personally I also think Radiator Springs Racers and both adjacent attractions are poorly designed and implemented for the budget they received, but that discussion would take too long. Just saying, the Imagineers are not infallible.
    Absolutely true. These attractions are poorly thought out and poorly designed when it comes to simple things like staging and lighting... and that is due to imagineering not being what it used to be.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast