Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: The New Market House...

Yeah, Disney didn't need to build a Starbuck's in Disneyland. They could have turned the esplanade between parks over to Starbucks, make it into a new land.
    And, yeah, October is going to be a rough month: new Starbucks, new DAS, new fastpass return policy...Disney is getting too good in making people mad.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Yeah, Disney didn't need to build a Starbuck's in Disneyland. They could have turned the esplanade between parks over to Starbucks, make it into a new land.
    And, yeah, October is going to be a rough month: new Starbucks, new DAS, new fastpass return policy...Disney is getting too good in making people mad.
    don't forget about Court of Angels going away

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Not necessarily true, most in this forum can attest that Ariel's Undersea Adventure is pretty poorly designed even though they had a great budget and were given the green light. Personally I also think Radiator Springs Racers and both adjacent attractions are poorly designed and implemented for the budget they received, but that discussion would take too long. Just saying, the Imagineers are not infallible.
    Disney paid around $40 million for Ariel in DCA. Itemized:

Big Box Building: $15-20 million. (A Wall Mart's building cost about $12 million, I think).
    Animatronics: $4-5 million for everything.
    Re-used Omnimover ride system: $10 million.
    Miscellaneous: $5 to $11 million

They built the props for Mermaid in MK and at DCA at the same time, and Disney doesn't publicly reveal the cost of their attractions/new lands, but it seems that they much touted $100 million was actually the cost for both ride. If TSMM costed $30-40 million, and it required the development of an all-new 3-D interactive ride and new ride vehicles, no way Mermaid costs more.

Cool custom seaweed effects were caned, and we got the "fish mobiles" with a big metal bar welded on to some plastic fish. So many corners were cut, Mermaid was basically a plug and play attraction that used an already existing omnimover ride system and was cheaply done, IMHO.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I don't drink coffee, so I wasn't too interested in it at all. But, the cast iron stove is in my Disneyland quest book. So, I was happy to see in the pics Norm posted that it is still there--and the party-line phones! lol. I will be able to see it in person at the end of next month.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Cool custom seaweed effects were caned, and we got the "fish mobiles" with a big metal bar welded on to some plastic fish. So many corners were cut, Mermaid was basically a plug and play attraction that used an already existing omnimover ride system and was cheaply done, IMHO.
    True, corners were cut on Mermaid. But it's also true that good lighting and spatial design wouldn't have cost any more to execute than the mediocre lighting and spatial design that was approved and used.

Same as in the Market House. Where it fails is in the design concept.

Given the notorious internal politics of WDI and TDA, it's not impossible that brilliant design concepts for the Market House were passed over for (or morphed into) mediocre concepts. But by design or default, mediocre is what was greenlit and built.

And by mediocre, I mean stuff that isn't even on the same planet with Ryman, Redmond, Hench and the other professional film production designers who set the standard for Disneyland's architectural design and interior decor.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    So many corners were cut, Mermaid was basically a plug and play attraction that used an already existing omnimover ride system and was cheaply done, IMHO.
    I'd like clarification on that particular point... while the technology definitely is something that exists, the specific ride system was not already there - unless I really missed something in Golden Dreams.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

Corners were cut in Fantasyland '55 yet it became effective and worked thanks to the skills and artistry of ex-animators. AHEM......

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Corners were cut in Fantasyland '55 yet it became effective and worked thanks to the skills and artistry of ex-animators. AHEM......
    Walt and the original Imagineering team were notoriously unhappy with the result of Fantasyland '55. The dark rides were decent, but the exteriors were hideous. I definitely wouldn't consider it effective. The redesign in '83/'84 led by Tony Baxter and Ken Anderson finally brought the area to a level on par with the rest of the park.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    this

agreed with you there.

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    When's the Walmart store opening on Main Street?
    Best post I've seen in both threads. Excellent.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 4apples4disney View Post
    best post i've seen in both threads. Excellent.
    x2.

• Goofy

me three

•   
    • Minion

I went by the Market House today.

It made me sad. I'm not going to comment on Starbucks; I'm just going to comment on the space itself and say that they could have done better. It felt as though they'd put in a normal Starbucks and at the last minute said, "oh wait, this was supposed to be Victorian, wasn't it? Oops. Quick, throw some wood and acorn finials in there!" It's sterile and soulless and it's horrible.

When I was there, I noticed a number of Disney suits who were observing and talking amongst themselves. They seemed to be very interested in the fact that the checkerboard and party lines were being used (two guys were actually playing a game of checkers at the time).

On the other hand the Book Rest is BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely beautiful. Dark rich Victorian wood. Lovely details. It reminded me of those clubs you read about in turn-of-the-century novels. It was very cozy.

Interesting thing; after leaving Disneyland I went over to DCA. As I walked down BVS, the decor at Mortimer's Market (the little grocery store across from Oswald's) caught my eye. Look at their refrigerated cases:

Name:  mortimrsmaket.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  79.8 KB
    Now, I'm not a 1920s historian. I'm sure that someone who is might be able to look at this case, nitpick and launch into a dissertation about how they didn't use that shade of paint in the 20s or whatever. The point is, though, it LOOKS as though it really belongs there. It has both form and function: it looks 1920s and fits in with the rest of the 20s design for the market and BVS, AND it still fulfills its purpose as a fridge. This is the sort of thing they could have done at the Market House, if they'd tried harder.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Disney Philosopher

If DL and Starbucks stay true to their calling, there will be a Starbucks in every land shortly. Maybe even a "walk-thru" where the Dole Whip stand used to be.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Best post I've seen in both threads. Excellent.
    Or perhaps the most overly dramatic reaction in both threads. And no, I'm not in favor of Starbucks on Main Street. Besides, it won't be a Wal-mart, it will be Target.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast