Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: The New Market House...

I swear you guys find anything to complain about. It looks fine you guys are so dramatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    I feel the same. I feel like every time Disney does ANYTHING everyone acts like the sky is falling. People will calm down and find a new thing to complain about in no time.
    I LOVED the Market House. LOVED IT. I'm not thrilled with the new Starbucks. But I have to agree with this. Disney it seems can't win this type of argument. People complain that they're not staying up to date, or are getting passed by Universal, but don't take out the Market House or the Plaza Gardens, and bring back Adventures through Inner Space but I want a new E Ticket!! Sigh...

Imagine it this way, in 200 years, do you expect the park will still look then as it looks now? No way. So better get used to the idea of change now.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's sterile and soulless and it's horrible.

Which about sums up how I feel about a lot of recent changes in the park. Sterile and soulless. It's like they don't care anymore.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

Which about sums up how I feel about a lot of recent changes in the park. Sterile and soulless. It's like they don't care anymore.
    Exactly, of course Disney doesn't care anymore. I'd love to hear what else you think is Sterile and Soulless.

We've recently gotten:

New Star Tours
    Soon to have an upgraded BTTM
    New Effects on Indy
    Some (not all) very good limited time magic events
    Not to mention the gazillion dollars they just invested on a completely sterile and soulless Buena Vista Street and Carsland.

You do realize that a Starbucks on Main Street, while clearly not ideal thematically, will be a massive success with the general public. The average guest is their target audience, not the peeps on this board that over analyze and complain about everything. Does that mean you should diminish theming everywhere, no, but they at least tried to make it look like it belongs from the outside, and somewhat from the inside.

I never went into the Market House much. Usually went times when it wasn't busy the coffee wasn't great but was a great caffeine fix and free refills. The CMs there were always in a great mood. Now I haven't been in the new Starbucks version of the Market House it seems nice but I think it misses the coziness of the old Market House. The CMs working at the old Market House made it feel like it was their own. That could be missing with having a corporation now.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's sterile and soulless and it's horrible.
    Exactly. Or rather, they do care very much -- about things that have nothing to do with art.

Like the quote in my siggy says, Disney has found their grail -- and it isn't the immersion in Elsewhen that once was the hallmark of Disneyland. It's corporate branding, and the sterility and soullessness that accompanies it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    If DL and Starbucks stay true to their calling, there will be a Starbucks in every land shortly. Maybe even a "walk-thru" where the Dole Whip stand used to be.
    I don't necessarily need a Starbucks there, but I'd LOVE to be able to get a Dole Whip and a black coffee at the same place. I love the two together, but always end up with either cold coffee or melted Dole Whip after waiting in two separate lines.

I'm sure the SB will be a huge success, which doesn't help me. All that proves is that we as a society are growing more short-sighted and nobody cares about the theme-ness of the theme park.

Soulless- Mermaid is "off" somehow. It's got all the right pieces, but they do not gel. Fun photo site, but it's missing something.

Star Tours- yeah, it's new, but it's a bit jarring when they switch the pieces.

Merchandise- few of the stores have anything unique. Why shop anywhere other than World of Disney on your way out and you don't have to carry things all day? It's all the same stuff anyway. A few things are unique but not much.

And what's the nonsense about everything being "Disney Parks"???? No. I'm not visiting "Disneyparks" I'm visiting one particular park, and I want its stuff to say so.

Haven't been able to visit Indy.

I'll give you CarsLand and Buena Vista Street. I wish they'd go back to all the windows being themed, though, instead of "stuff to buy."
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    You can add your constructive critisims to this thread here:
    Starbucks finally opens on Main Street U.S.A. at Disneyland Park
    Can we please MERGE these two identical threads?

•   
    • Minion

I'm not opposed to park improvements. I was on board with both the Fantasy Faire and the Jolly Holiday, for instance. In those cases, though, I feel that the new areas/restaurant were beautifully done. Whatever one has to say about the Jolly Holiday's backstory/context/whatever (not opening that Pandora's Box again), when you walk in there, it's a turn of the century bakery down to the "chipped" tiles and the stoves behind the counter. The PFF looks like a medieval village (and I appreciate that they did bring back the swing dancing as promised - it's even listed on the entertainment schedule at the park).

Even with the Penny Arcade: I don't appreciate the marginalization of the penny arcade machines, and the loss of many of them, but at least the retail space looks as though it really fits the era.

This, though? They don't seem to have tried very hard here. There are so many ways they could have made it look more Victorian, and they just failed. And no, the average guest might not care because they just want their frappucino, but it does take away from the vibe of Main Street.
    Last edited by Malina; 09-27-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Or perhaps the most overly dramatic reaction in both threads. And no, I'm not in favor of Starbucks on Main Street. Besides, it won't be a Wal-mart, it will be Target.
    Thank goodness. I was not prepared to launch into a "People of Wal-Mart" photo montage, but I will if I have to!

But in all honesty, yes that is an over dramatization. They commercialized something within the parks that can be found pretty much on every single block outside the parks, and furthermore the design aesthetics were pretty sub par for Disney standards in my opinion. For instance, I noticed at least 4 different types of light fixtures within the space. Where on earth is the consistency? At some point it just becomes visual overload and looks confusing or like someone couldn't make up their mind.

But at least Starbucks is a classy establishment. This isn't as bad as having, say McDonalds represented in the parks? See, worse things have happened.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Exactly, of course Disney doesn't care anymore. I'd love to hear what else you think is Sterile and Soulless.

We've recently gotten:

New Star Tours
    Soon to have an upgraded BTTM
    New Effects on Indy
    Some (not all) very good limited time magic events
    Not to mention the gazillion dollars they just invested on a completely sterile and soulless Buena Vista Street and Carsland.

You do realize that a Starbucks on Main Street, while clearly not ideal thematically, will be a massive success with the general public. The average guest is their target audience, not the peeps on this board that over analyze and complain about everything. Does that mean you should diminish theming everywhere, no, but they at least tried to make it look like it belongs from the outside, and somewhat from the inside.
    In a nutshell: shut up and take whatever poor scraps Disney throws at us and be happy, or else you are a whiner.

It isn't a valid argument, sorry. Additionally, no one really complained about the items on your list. Matter a fact, the majority of people on this forum praised those additions because Disney at least put a decent amount of effort and it showed. This Starbucks demonstrates a lack of either budgeting or design on the part of the Imagineers.

Far as the general public goes, they have no clue why they even enjoy the park from an artistic standpoint, so designing something for this category isn't a long-term solution for the success of Disneyland. It takes professional artists and intelligent engineers to show them the way.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-28-2013 at 11:26 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    For instance, I noticed at least 4 different types of light fixtures within the space. Where on earth is the consistency?
    Some of the light fixtures are meant to look like old fashion cappuccino machines.

At any rate, WDI wasn't solely in charge of what the Starbucks was supposed to look like, this is a sponsorship deal, and Starbucks very well may not have wanted it to look like their coffee was being served in old fashion market house where you'd get tetanus just by looking at all of the antiques, (I don't mind, but you can see why Starbucks execs might not want their coffee served in a "dirty place".) They also don't want guests gawking at awesome details, I would guess for efficiency to keep the lines going. They obviously don't want curious non-coffee buying guests to hang out in the Market House anymore, hence it is not an "attraction" such as the old Market House. People don't go into 7-11s for the scenery, to go there only to buy stuff.

Anyway, I think that while Disneyland has expanded, Main Street needs to be expanded via an eastside alley project, take out the locker room and First Aid, and relocate them, and you've got room for a Main Street alley, where they could have stretched a line out to serve a Starbucks, maybe even added an alley-side Starbucks window for additional service. Trying to cram a Starbucks into the Market House, which ain't all that big to begin with, is just poor planning. An alley behind Main Street could have some great theming, crates of goods, (I guess bags of coffee beans behind Starbucks), though they would have to build underground access to the stores for the real stocking of shelves.

They could also build an underground area for receiving, and for ambulance access if they moved First Aid eastward, as well as have room for relocated lockers closer to the Main Street entrance.

I think it was a bad decision as better theming would more seamlessly integrate Starbucks as part of the park and hence have Disney's implicit seal of approval, rather than the current Starbucks which doesn't match to even the Book Rest next door.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    In a nutshell: shut up and take whatever poor scraps Disney throws at us and be happy, or else you are a whiner.

If you continue down the path of designing mediocre establishments that the public wont care about . . .
    Starbucks has its own design teams, they, obviously, design a whole lot of stores. The Disneyland Starbucks follows Starbucks' style, with regards to a kinda homage theming that isn't supposed to be an exact place. So, WDI was probably involved a lot less than everybody is, unfortunately, giving them credit for. Starbucks uses little visual vignettes, which don't add up to holistic experience of being in a such, and such period coffee house in a certain location. The goal is to kinda give a flavor of something without boldly stating, "this is a coffee house from the turn of the century". The focal point is the menu/food cases/ordering area, and nothing else to distract from this.

Attachment 32988
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-28-2013 at 11:15 AM.

• Hello Dolly.

I'm sure the SB will be a huge success, which doesn't help me. All that proves is that we as a society are growing more short-sighted and nobody cares about the theme-ness of the theme -ness of the theme park.
    Wow incredibly judgmental.
    i actually really care about theme and I feel they did a great job staying in theme and keeping up with current times. Just because I do like it I'm short-sighted.

After reading that whole negative post, I'm glad these people that "don't care about theme" still can enjoy the parks today.

I HATE that put starbucks in Disneyland!!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast