Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Re: The New Market House...

This whole thread kind of makes me think......does this make DCA's Starbucks the best out of the entire bunch (DL, MK, and EPCOT) in terms of theming and seating?
    I actually made a thread about just that right here Starbucks...FF&P Cafe vs. Market House I argue that yes, it is the best themed of them all. I know it's lengthy, but I tried to provide a good read and thread

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Now? At least it serves better coffee? If they lost some of the theme in exchange for a place customers can navigate and purchase the products offered there in a reasonable manner, they've still fixed one of my major issues in the old Market House. Beyond that, if what they sell and how they sell it should not be a reason for updating the store then why have it be a retail outlet at all? Why not have themed "stores" along Main Street that are JUST there for deco and provide a themed, interactive environment?
    Then quality coffee can ONLY be sold in a less themed environment?

If they sold Starbucks coffee at every location in the park that sells coffee, then the Market House would not have had to be gutted to hold a larger crowd.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    How is it not true? Have you polled every single Starbucks drinker? Most probably do enjoy theme but to say that it is not
    true that some possibly don't give a hoot is completely illogical itself.
    I don't make the claim that some don't care about theme. The original claim, which I refute, is that NONE cared about them, only about their coffee fix. Below is the exact quote I was responding too:
    People who love Starbucks and think it is good coffee don't care much about what it looks like. They just want their daily SB fix!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Then quality coffee can ONLY be sold in a less themed environment?

If they sold Starbucks coffee at every location in the park that sells coffee, then the Market House would not have had to be gutted to hold a larger crowd.
    Where did I say anything about something only being allowed to be sold in certain environments? Please do not put things like that in my statements that weren't there to begin with.

IMO the location failed at it's mission beyond being a themed location previously. The product was frankly not very good, the supporting product was not themed at all beyond "the same general housewares and cookies and such they sell at the store next door and three across the street in this land alone". The lightest level of customers at the store resulted in absolute gridlock.

If you wanted to keep the deco and strip out the "store", sure - but that's an entirely different argument and entails creating something that so far only Universal's really toyed with in recent years.

To make this a functional store, they needed to open up space. They could have opted to simply go with a better coffee supplier but instead opted to go with an American company that people generally trust for their coffee.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

So, confession time here. Last time I was in the park I decided to walk by and see how things were looking at the Market House, and I realized that the Market House is in a completely different place then I thought it was (I was thinking it was directly adjacent to the Kodak Corner). In all the years that I've ever been to DL, I'm not sure I've ever set foot in the Market House. In the rare times I've gotten coffee at DL, it's always been at the Blue Ribbon Bakery. So that means that in all the times I've gone there as a guest (probably coming up on 100 times or so) and working there almost every day for over three years, I apparently never set foot inside the Market House. So while I agree that it seems like Disney could have done better, I guess I can't really complain too much about it. So I don't know if my experience is typical for most guests or not, but having the storefront themed appropriately is apparently the only thing that guests like me will notice.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

We've been to the parks many, many times in the last 10 years. A lot of the time during those visits, my husband and I waited up front for our boys to catch up, and many times I answered the surveys. My usual answers were "DCA does not feel like a Disney park so I don't spend much time there" and "Why don't you guys offer Starbucks coffee?"

I doubt that I was the only one to say those things, thousands and thousands of people had to have had the same opinions or else we wouldn't have Buena Vista Street and now the new Market House/Starbucks.

My point is--they came up with these ideas from the people that walk through those gates everyday. Us. Not all of us like the changes to the Market House, but, it (in theory) should appeal to the largest amount of people. I'm tired of the "Princess" stuff. It's everywhere--everyone has a little princess and I'm fed up with tripping over princesses. Is that going to change? Nope. But, you can be sure that a LARGE amount of people love it and it's in response to what people want based on online surveys and surveys in the park.

I'll be happy if I can even get INTO the Market House to get a Starbucks drink anytime soon. But, my trip won't be ruined because it's too busy for me to bother, or because I don't like the details. (It's those princesses....)
    Last edited by mickeyblue; 10-01-2013 at 11:43 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I know this is kinda a different thing but....someone at work the other day asked my why they didnt have french fries near Big Thunder any more....he said those were the best. So I just want to point out that many "normal" guests just want good food/drinks at the parks and don't care if its only at the parks as long as its good.

I agree with this because to be honest I'd love a resturant menu from outside the park...because I find most the food at the parks ok at best.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I know this is kinda a different thing but....someone at work the other day asked my why they didnt have french fries near Big Thunder any more....he said those were the best. So I just want to point out that many "normal" guests just want good food/drinks at the parks and don't care if its only at the parks as long as its good.

I agree with this because to be honest I'd love a resturant menu from outside the park...because I find most the food at the parks ok at best.
    I've been suggesting since day 1 that they need an In N Out inside of DCA. What could be more California then that?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Mouseke-Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I've been suggesting since day 1 that they need an In N Out inside of DCA. What could be more California then that?
    In-N-Out AND Disney?

Heaven on earth.

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

All of my money for that.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Hey, I have a better idea. How about Disney come up with a better burger and stop with the franchise nonsense.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Hey, I have a better idea. How about Disney come up with a better burger and stop with the franchise nonsense.

I agree! Haven't been overly impressed by the burgers. Some of the other food is great, but not the burgers.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Singing Drinker

Honestly? Cost effectiveness.

Disney would have to purchase coffee from *someone*. Expecting them to buy a supply chain to manufacture specifically Disney coffee is not a reasonable expectation - it's not Disney's line of business, it's a major departure from what they do, and it would be incredibly risky to join in as they would VERY likely be more or less forced into opening Disney chain coffee shops in a world that already has Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Peet's and more.

The previous coffee was in all honesty pretty bad. I'm not picky about mine - I'll drink Folger's if it's what's available - and still would not drink theirs.

So Disney was faced with a choice - go with a lesser known brand that would be grateful but not provide any real value other than better coffee, or go with a brand that would help raise the income of a fairly underused space.

The rest - the opening of the floorspace and all - follows that decision and likely would have been a part of ANY plan for the store. So long as it's primary mission is to sell stuff, that mission is... well... primary. The layout as it was resulted in store traffic coming to a screeching halt any time more than about ten people were in line. Given a daily attendance in the tens of thousands and the prime location on the corner in Main St., that's not a realistic scenario.

Short of removing the mercantile portion of the location's reason to exist, I don't think there's anything that Disney could have done that would make the hardcore happy, the coffee drinkers happy, AND result in a store location that can function at any degree of volume. As it stands, I'm OK with the result. It sacrifices a small part of the theming in exchange for a MASSIVE upgrade in quality of product and a modest upgrade in store functionality. It's not win/win, but it's definitely a winning percentage.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Honestly? Cost effectiveness.

Disney would have to purchase coffee from *someone*. Expecting them to buy a supply chain to manufacture specifically Disney coffee is not a reasonable expectation - it's not Disney's line of business, it's a major departure from what they do, and it would be incredibly risky to join in as they would VERY likely be more or less forced into opening Disney chain coffee shops in a world that already has Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Peet's and more.

The previous coffee was in all honesty pretty bad. I'm not picky about mine - I'll drink Folger's if it's what's available - and still would not drink theirs.

So Disney was faced with a choice - go with a lesser known brand that would be grateful but not provide any real value other than better coffee, or go with a brand that would help raise the income of a fairly underused space.

The rest - the opening of the floorspace and all - follows that decision and likely would have been a part of ANY plan for the store. So long as it's primary mission is to sell stuff, that mission is... well... primary. The layout as it was resulted in store traffic coming to a screeching halt any time more than about ten people were in line. Given a daily attendance in the tens of thousands and the prime location on the corner in Main St., that's not a realistic scenario.

Short of removing the mercantile portion of the location's reason to exist, I don't think there's anything that Disney could have done that would make the hardcore happy, the coffee drinkers happy, AND result in a store location that can function at any degree of volume. As it stands, I'm OK with the result. It sacrifices a small part of the theming in exchange for a MASSIVE upgrade in quality of product and a modest upgrade in store functionality. It's not win/win, but it's definitely a winning percentage.
    Wasn't talking coffee, was talking In and Out Burger. Starbucks is already here.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Former Churro Jockey

Sure, but there is room for both. In N Out fits the theme the same way that the Hollywood Brown Derby belongs at Disney Studios (and I'd be all for bringing that to DCA as well -- their food is outstanding). A lot of people come to Southern California and In N Out really is on their list of things to visit while they are here, like Pink's Hot Dog's or the place that invented the French Dip Sandwich. If DCA is supposed to be the highlights of California, then In N Out is one of them. Besides, I think Disney has proven over the last 58 years that they can not make a really great burger, although they have gotten better over the past few years.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast