Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pressed coin machines at the resort.

The big family vacation to the Disney resort is just a few weeks away and it will be the first time in a few years.

I just learned that there are several pressed coin machines throughout the resort. I've been told they have been there for a while so I don't know why I've never noticed them before. Anyway... My little girl is pretty excited about the prospect of collecting as many as she can find. She has a little coin purse picked out and everything.

How prolific are they and how much do they cost? What types of coins(pennies, nickles, quarters) are used? Is there a collectors book(to hold and display coins) sold at the park? I need to get an idea of how many rolls of coins we need to bring for her.
    Last edited by JangoFett; 03-19-2005 at 09:03 AM.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Banned User

51 cents..... 2 quarters for price... and one penny to smash.....

I dont recall a collector book for them since they change every so often... removing some designs.. adding new ones...

hmm.... I would say $10 in quarters and 20 penies??
    (doesn't really know how many machines there are in the park and designs..)

• Minion

There are lots of machines throughout the park. I believe that you can get a list of them from certain stores. In addition to the pressed penny machines there are a few pressed nickel machines as well. You can find the books to hold them in a few different stores in the parks. Have fun, we did this a few years ago and had a blast!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Adland bazaar has three or four.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

disneyland will smash your pennies, nickels and quarters(?). I know that I have smashed quarters but I haven't seen the machine in a while. There are some in the Penny Arcade on main street(characters0, behind splash moutian(pooh), and one near the entrance of frontierland(fantasmic and frontierland mickey and donald).
    "He gets around you know he knows all the pretty girls." ~ Walt Disney

lets see theres a whole bunch in the penny arcade, adv bazaar, frontierland mercantile, pooh corner, pieces of eight, essentially try every store especially penny arcade there are alot in there especially my favorite the tiki room penny.
    i have no idea

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The penny smashers are scattered throughout the park. Cost is two quarters plus the penny you're gonna smash. Designs vary depending on machine location. I don't know how many different designs are used. Most machines also have a small display on top featuring a booklike holder to house your collection. Have fun!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Ok, there are LOTS and LOTS of penny machines. There are some quarter machines, 2 nickel machines and now there is one NEW dime machine.

for pennies it is 51 cents

for everything else (I have yet to confirm this for the dime but I am sure it is correct) it is 75 cents plus the coin you are smashing.

DO NOT get the list of machines from City Hall. the list there is horribly out of date. Plus the writing on it is very small and is just a bad, bad list.

Use this list - it is the most up to date. The dime machine was just put out Friday and that list should be updated to reflect them I would guess this weekend. Plus it is truly a checklist - I take it to the park with me often:
    http://parkpennies.com/alllocations.htm

That site is also a great site that updates all the time with news:
    http://parkpennies.com/

Also, you can join the forums on MousePenny.com:
    http://mousepenny.com/forums/index.php

The forums are still very new, but it is a great place to talk to other collectors.

Not sure how far away your trip is, but if you have time I would say see if you can get some copper pennies. These are pennies made 1981 and before. The newer ones are mostly zinc and can turn a dark black - thus giving you this black blob that will do you no good. A good place to get them is ebay - just search for penny roll. Look for terms like BU or UNC as these show that they are better condition coins. For the dimes, nickels and quarters - smashing new shiny ones really does make a difference. I got a roll of GEM BU California quarters and they look GREAT when they get smashed. The only thing is you gotta test out to see what quarter gets smashed. It is one of the end slots. What I do to test is put an old dirty quarter in one end and a newer one on the other end - then look at it when it drops down. I also use new GEM BU nickels and will use GEM BU dimes when I get to the park on monday.

There is a few different way to store them, the sell penny books at the parks that holds 36 pennies and 6 larger coins (quarters, nickels) and I am not sure if the dimes will fit in the penny part yet (ask me Tuesday lol)- but this is not the best for long term storage. If you want toget into the more geek way to store them let me know and I will go into it then, lol. There are also some tips on ParkPennies under the FAQs.

have fun!

• Minion

^great links
    "He gets around you know he knows all the pretty girls." ~ Walt Disney

pressed penny machines

You can get a list of pressed penny machines at city hall.
    There are about 3 diffrent dyes in each machine so you will need about 1.53
    per machine. There are 5 nickle machines and 10 quarter machines , more or less.I do not how offen they up date the list.
    Are we there Yet? :devil:

Other than the new dime machine, are the any with really cool designs that are worth having over others??
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    Other than the new dime machine, are the any with really cool designs that are worth having over others??
    That all depends on what characters you like. ParkPennies.com also has pictures of the coins. Spend some time looking thru the checklist I posted above then head over to ParkPennies.com and look at the pics they have of them.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessP
    You can get a list of pressed penny machines at city hall.
    There are about 3 diffrent dyes in each machine so you will need about 1.53
    per machine. There are 5 nickle machines and 10 quarter machines , more or less.I do not how offen they up date the list.
    Hmm...I have a few already. And there are such great resources available for keeping up to date and organizing them. Now I'm thinking about getting into this. So much more affordable than pin collecting! Thank goodness I've been able to stave that urge off so far.

Pressed coins are probably the sweetest coins ever made.

• Disney fans for life!

You can also find those machines in the lobby of the Hotel and in front of Goofy's Kitchen. Unless they moved them in the last 24 hours! (we were just there for the week)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast