Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone else think Soarin' Over California is way overdue for a refurbishment?

It's such a same, this used to easily be my favorite ride at DCA. It was definitely one of those rides that I made sure everybody went on, for example, if I had relatives coming to visit Disneyland Resort for the first time in many years. The last time I went, however, I just skipped the ride! It's like drive-in movie theater quality picture, complete with the black spots popping all over the screen. Very disappointed...it's so "Knott's Berry Farm"-ish of Disney to let this attraction go down like this.

Re: Does anyone else think Soarin' Over California is way overdue for a refurbishment

I agree, and it is getting a refurb very soon. I think within the next year or two, they are going to record a new film with a much better camera and rig up a new projector.

• The doctor is in

Re: Does anyone else think Soarin' Over California is way overdue for a refurbishment

This comes up a lot. It badly needs a refurb.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

•   
    • Minion

Agreed with the above. Soarin really needs help.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Foolish Mortal

Yup, the sooner the better! I can only hope they also provide smooth transitions between locations. I was pretty disappointed with the lack of creativity when it came to move on to the next scene, they just did a hard cut from one location to the next. The opening is cool because you are in the clouds and when you come out of them, you are above the Golden Gate Bridge. The ride needs more of those types of transitions imho.

• Closed Account

Coming 2015.

I hope they don't leave Patrick Warburton out

• -

Quote Originally Posted by kkocka View Post
    Coming 2015.
    Source?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sifferz View Post
    I agree, and it is getting a refurb very soon. I think within the next year or two, they are going to record a new film with a much better camera and rig up a new projector.
    What they currently have is one of the best projection systems in the world featuring 70mm film. The problem isn't the tech, it's the fact that they let the quality of their film reel get so worn that it looks terrible and isn't being shown on a clean screen. Digital will never be able to compete with video shot in IMAX using 70mm projection for presentation. The only reason they want to change the equipment is to downgrade cost since digital requires less maintenance and doesn't form artifacts on the screen.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-26-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADDel View Post
    I hope they don't leave Patrick Warburton out
    I second that! Soarin' needs a refurb pretty badly, but I really hope they keep the safety video. It's one of my favorite parts. I will be bummed if I go to Disney during the refurb though, this is my favorite post-meal ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    What they currently have is one of the best projection systems in the world featuring 70mm film. The problem isn't the tech, it's the fact that they let the quality of their film reel get so worn that it looks terrible and isn't being shown on a clean screen. Digital will never be able to compete with video shot in IMAX using 70mm projection for presentation. The only reason they want to change the equipment is to downgrade cost since digital requires less maintenance and doesn't form artifacts on the screen.
    this

• Down Pluto!

They need more than a refurb...

The projected "show" is severely lacking in storytelling consistency and believability that could be fixed so easily by just adding transitions between the scenes. The JARRING cuts from one scene to the next destroy the seamlessness this ride should have. It makes it seem like watching a movie rather than a seamless flying experience. I think the "Soarin'" experience is a continuity fail for Disney. But they no longer have the storytelling capacity to make an attraction like this seamless and not just a series of movie scenes. Sad, really...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Senior Minion

^ What Seawolf and Sambo said.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Seeker of Fun

It seems like simple maintenance would solve most of the issues. After about a year away from Disneyland, I was shocked at how bad the screen was. It really distracts from the experience.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

LOL we just had a thread about this: Soarin' Sadly

But the fact that so many of us are taking notice means that yeah, it's time for Soarin' to take a break and get some TLC.

I think now that the DCA relaunch is mostly done, "Soarin' Refurb" threads will be the DCA centric counterpart to Peoplemover/DL threads haha. But I doubt Soarin will stay the way it is for the next 12 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast