A baby shower in Downtown Disney - bad idea?

(I hope it is okay to post this question in this forum~ Sorry, I am mostly a lurker here and don't always know the ropes.)

Since we could not afford a Disneyland wedding, my sister suggested we have our baby shower in Downtown Disney or at one of the hotel restaurants. What do you think? It would be a pretty casual affair -- more like a big group luncheon and less like a traditional baby-game-sillyness kind of shower. Some of our friends have kids too so it might be nice for them too.

My sister got me pretty excited but, I'm concerned about 2 things:

1. I don't know where we can have a private room at any of these restaurants. It seems that Catal Restaurant and the Napolini Pizza place do cater for parties but I can't find info on any other place.

2. Secondly, we'd be hosting and...hmm. Well, we'd love to celebrate with friends and a shower isn't about collecting presents but it is also really irresponsible to have an expensive party if we can't afford basic supplies for the baby. Catal Restaurant hosts lunch parties for $17/plate ($34 per couple, not including tax and tip) which seems a little high.

What do you all think?

• Embrace You!

Re: A baby shower in Downtown Disney - bad idea?

I think it would be better to do it at one of the hotels in a private room if you can afford it. Unless one of the restaurants has a separate room, it can be pretty loud which might interfere with the party.

• Minion

I don't think you're going to get much of a better price than $17 per plate for (I assume) an entree and a beverage. Storyteller's lunch runs from $12-$20 per entree alone. I think a baby shower at Goofy's Kitchen (just a large table) would be a blast, but it will cost you. Here's a list of restaurants and regular menu pricing: Disneyland Resort Menus

If you do decide to do a DTD shower, one really fun activity is to do a DTD scavenger hunt. Kids love that too .

Congrats on the little one!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I think this sounds like a great idea!

You didn't say how many would possibly be attending. You might check with the Rainforest Cafe, as that has a fun atmosphere, too. The restaurant in Paradise Pier has characters that come by regularly and areas that might be good to push some tables together.

Congrats on the baby!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• New Mommy

Maybe mention that people would have to pay for their own plates? Depending on how many go, you might price yourself out pretty quickly covering for everyone. Or you could always throw a Disney themed shower, which is what I'm doing. Much more affordable and customizable!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• See Ya Real Soon!

Not a "bad idea" but an expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    Not a "bad idea" but an expensive one.
    I agree. But I always thought someone else hosted a baby shower rather than the expectant parents...that the idea was to help new parents get what they needed, not to encourage them to spend money they'll need for the baby on throwing a party.

I would save money now toward the Disneyland Birthday for the kid once s/he turns 4; admission will probably be over $100 by then
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Closed Account

So I recently had my shower and had initially the same plans, more or less. While I did get married at the resort, we wanted to get a suite at the Disneyland Hotel and host there. It made sense; the suite had rooms for my sister in laws, a living room, and wet bar so I could serve drinks. However after crunching the numbers the cost would have been about $1800 for 2 nites if my memory serves me. We ended up having it at home and just saved a buttload of money, heh. Our shower was pretty casual - no silly games or gimmicks, so it was more of just a bbq and having friends and family hang out.

For our rehersal dinner back in 2011, we had it at the banquet room at Napa Rose for about 20 people. However, that will also run about the same cost as above. I think you'd do just fine talking to the people at Catal and arranging something there - you'll have a very nice view (the circular room on the 2nd floor) and can work out nicely.

In the end, if you don't feel good about the whole outcome of a baby shower at Downtown Disney, you can always do what my wife and I have done: host at home and have your baby moon at the hotels, party of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kkocka View Post
    you can always do what my wife and I have done: host at home and have your baby moon at the hotels, party of 2.
    Hmmm..... isn't that how the whole Baby Shower thing started??
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    Hmmm..... isn't that how the whole Baby Shower thing started??
    Could be! But at this point there's no chance of it happening again, haha.