Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Do you ever miss the original California Adventure?

I miss the California letters and the Mickey Mouse in Screamin..

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    So you would rather have a parking lot than DCA? Really?
    I agree. I miss the parking lot more than I like California Adventure. The new one is far better than the old one. That's for sure, I was there one month after they opened it, and it had nothing, absolutely nothing to offer compared to Disneyland.

It still doesn't, IMHO. All the charm and magic is on the other side of the fence. CA was a park built by accountants and middle managers. DL was a park made by dreamers and visionaries. No amount of work will cover up a bad design from the start, IMHO.

And I do miss the older, more intimate DL - without Downtown Disney and with a proper parking lot in front. But I'm very grateful that the park itself is as charming and beautiful (even more so) than it ever was nowadays.

• Disneyland Dreamer

I never saw 1.0. 1.5 is really where I came in. 2010 was my first DCA trip. Still had the CALIFORNIA letters out front, the golden gate, but no cars land, not ariels, no goofys sky school (was still under renovation from mulholland madness at that time), missed the big orange thing whatever it was, and screamin/fun wheel have always been those to me.

The thing I miss the most about DCA 1.5 is the view from the DVC wing(s). We had a great view out of our room.... not it is staring at pine trees.

I miss the letters and the tile mural and the Golden Gate. I also miss the wave fountain. But even with that, the new DCA is way better. Buena Vista Street is a big improvement, and I love Cars Land. If the tortilla factory is a loss, the bread factory is cool (free bread would be cool...). Looking forward to more new stuff.

• Foolish Mortal

Not even once.

Some things, sure. I liked the letters out front, especially when they changed them with the seasons.

Liked the postcard murals and the wave fountain.

Then again, CarsLand and Buena Vista Street are fun. I like the World of Color show, though I don't always stay for it. The light-up mouse ears are fun during the shows that use them. I like the new food and live music at the back of the park, next to the pizza place.

I liked when they did ElecTRONica and the Mad T Party makes for fun pictures.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Miss DCA 1.0?

Let's see . . .

No Toy Story Midway Mania
    No World of Color/Maestro Goofy Instant Concert
    No Little Mermaid attraction
    No Buena Vista Street
    No Radiator Springs

and we still have:
    Soarin' Over California
    Animation Building is still there with its wonderful lobby

Nope! I don't miss a thing from DCA 1.0

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    ...I miss the parking lot more than I like California Adventure. The new one is far better than the old one. That's for sure, I was there one month after they opened it, and it had nothing, absolutely nothing to offer compared to Disneyland.

It still doesn't, IMHO. All the charm and magic is on the other side of the fence. CA was a park built by accountants and middle managers. DL was a park made by dreamers and visionaries. No amount of work will cover up a bad design from the start, IMHO.
    Very well said, fjhuerta. The original DCA was jaw-droppingly bad. A sprawling homage to the hubris, shortsightedness and cynicism of the corporate management that created it. John Hench was spot on when he said "they should have left it a parking lot."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Done with MC.

No, I never miss it. The new version is better in every way for us.

Quote Originally Posted by socalfun View Post
    Yes, I miss the adventure of finding the nearest tram stop in the gigantic parking lot and being taken directly to the main entrance of Disneyland.
    Haha! You beat me to it!

The old Zephyr train was kind of cool and the Orange Stinger looked cool, even if the newer format without the enclosure give a better sense of adventure when you're on the ride. Overall I think Disneyland did a good job of pitching what didn't work well and bringing new and improved in. I don't really miss the letters or the mural or the Golden Gate replica. It's a better park now.

I'm actually sorry I never got to ride Superstar Limo. Just for the absurdity of it. I will never get a chance to ride what looks like it was the worst attraction ever made in a Disney park. I can only see it on YouTube now.

Nostalgia. It's a heckuva drug.

I don't miss it exactly. It honestly was very tacky. However, I am quite nostalgic in general and do miss that dinosaur Shack thing, lol. I have this memory of my husband walking by it at the very moment i was thinking how happy and in love I felt. So it made a random impression on me. Also, I was there when I was pregnant and still associate the nauseating smell of pickles with DCA 1.0, so I'm glad for a fresh start. I'm very glad my daughter never new the old DCA, no nostalgia trap for her to get sucked into with the old version, haha! Looking forward to creating new nostalgia with the way it is now. I was already an adult when I first went to DCA and I've only been there 3 times I think. I would think it would have more of a hold on those of you who grew up with it and/or visited it often.

I really miss the tram entrance across from the Convention Center.
    I liked the letters.
    As mentioned earlier, the Orange Stinger looked neat.
    I seem to be in the minority that misses the rocket plane from the grille.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    So you would rather have a parking lot than DCA? Really?
    To be absolutely truthful... Yes.

The purpose of DCA was to increase the capacity and drive additional revenue. With increased capacity TDA ramped up the Annual Passholder plan and forever changed the Disneyland I knew and loved, turning it into hangout instead of a destination.

I'd give anything to have it back as a destination for vacationing families rather than a place to schlepp for blasť locals.

Quote Originally Posted by second blue teacup View Post
    To be absolutely truthful... Yes.

The purpose of DCA was to increase the capacity and drive additional revenue. With increased capacity TDA ramped up the Annual Passholder plan and forever changed the Disneyland I knew and loved, turning it into hangout instead of a destination.

I'd give anything to have it back as a destination for vacationing families rather than a place to schlepp for blasť locals.
    I really wish I could visit Disneyland more often, but I live many states away. I'd love to understand the relationship with annual passholders better.

I've always been a tourist and have never lived near a Disney park and I've never noticed who was an AP and who was a tourist like me. Maybe I am missing something. I've never once felt unwelcome in any Disney park as a visiting family.

I know on Disney forums AP-holders are a very vocal group with very firm opinions on different things that are not how tourist families see them. But, that's never had any impact on my enjoyment of the parks with my family while we are visiting Disneyland or DCA.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast