Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Do you ever miss the original California Adventure?

I miss Millionaire.

I also miss the waffle fries at Taste Pilot's Grill. The fries they have now are nowhere near as good.

• Kingdom Comedian

I thought the original park certainly had it's charm.

I liked the idea of a park celebrating California. I liked the idea of learning history, agriculture, etc. other things through that prism.

Golden Dreams was a great show. And not unlike some of you would trade the park for the parking lot, I would happily trade Mermaid for Golden Dreams. The Palace of Fine Arts thing makes no sense anymore...oy

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

DCA 1.0 itself wasn't bad as a theme park. It's actually pretty good if admission were cheaper and if it were located somewhere else besides in CA. The problem is you were paying disney prices for something not living up to Disney's standards.

I would be lying if I said I didn't somewhat miss the old DCA. I blame nostalgia! But I definitely wouldn't wish it back. Heck, I even miss it when it was the parking lot!
    Last edited by ducktalesfan5555; 09-29-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I miss the California Zephyr train facade, that was really cool. I also miss the "postcard" and mural aesthetic of the entrance area. And I miss the references to San Francisco, like the Golden Gate Bridge and the Palace of Fine Arts. There needs to be far more SF in a California themed park.
    Same here.

But I really like what they've done.

• secure all cargo

Yeah, I miss the low attendance, Golden Dreams, the Wine film (got the awesome soundtrack on the old CD though), and the one time we ate at the Soap Opera restaurant we loved it (except the hospital room). And yes, if you take it that one step further, I even miss the old parking lot that someone else mentioned here - there used to be this great sense of anticipation you used to get seeing the main gate entrance driving into the parking lot, then getting out of your car and just walking closer and closer and getting more and more excited, watching as the monorail goes by. You just don't get that from the new tram that drops you off in the middle of a shopping mall, albeit a great mall, but still a mall nonetheless. I love that story of what Imagineering Legend John Hench said when asked what he thought of DCA when it first opened: "I liked it better when it was a parking lot."

That said I LOVE the new changes. It's still got problems, some which I cannot imagine are fixable, yet I feel the park has totally transformed itself into something really great, whereas before things were just mediocre. I can't wait for phase 2.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    I miss Millionaire.

I also miss the waffle fries at Taste Pilot's Grill. The fries they have now are nowhere near as good.
    Actually, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Play It " was not part of DCA on opening day. However it was rushed into construction to help "Fix" the infamous DCA problem.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I miss walking thru the Bountiful Valley farm. It was so quiet there.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Seed and Mulch

The only thing I miss is the lake without the eyesore fountain spouts. Other than that, the original park was terrible. I don't even think the current park is "good", but it's leap years beyond DCA opening day.

• Seed and Mulch

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    So you would rather have a parking lot than DCA? Really?
    I would, without question. I'm certain Disney Corporate learned all the wrong lessons from its DCA experience ... and as a result, we will never see another non-MagicKingdom-style park built in North America by Disney. Part of it is AK's fault also, but the lesson Disney has learned is that when people go to a Disney Park they want a hub and spoke design with a Castle and the traditional "lands". The lesson they should have learned is that when you substantially cut the budget and build a substandard park ... and try and charge Top Shelf prices ... even your most addicted fans will mock you and you're just going to be forced into throwing good money after bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
    I'm actually sorry I never got to ride Superstar Limo. Just for the absurdity of it. I will never get a chance to ride what looks like it was the worst attraction ever made in a Disney park. I can only see it on YouTube now.
    I only recently saw a video of it on YouTube.

The thing looked tacky as all get out. I felt like needing to take a shower after watching that video.

• Minion

I never saw DCA 1.0, and yet I miss it.

• Singing Drinker

I *HATED* the park for the first long while after it opened - a year or two at least.

It wasn't until I went on one of the worst days of my life during a Rockin' The Bay event with Chubby Checker (IIRC) in the bay, the Fenians at Pacific Wharf, Power of Blast in the Hyperion and this lovely attraction I'd never noticed before called the "Cove Bar Ride" (after an hour, the entire bar sways and moves! I swear!).

I spent about six hours getting happily toasted to some of my favorite classic rock, my favorite OC bar band and an awesome extract of probably the only Broadway show I was fond of. I don't think I even did a single actual "ride" that day, but it made me fall in love with the park.

I fully admit that it was for the wrong reasons and I'm rather glad they've found a way to make the park more publicly accepted. I do miss my abandoned mistake of a park at times though.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Mouseke-Awesome

I think the only thing I miss is are the "California" letters - It was fun to take pictures with them.

Wait...I take that back. I do miss the Maliboomer

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Under that tree again!

The Entrance to Pier music. Sure it's better now, but I liked it then.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Actually, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Play It " was not part of DCA on opening day. However it was rushed into construction to help "Fix" the infamous DCA problem.
    True, but Millionaire fit DCA's original, "California of Today" theme.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast