Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Subs Solution

Exclamation A Subs Solution

I wonder if construction of one additional new sub, equipped with ADA capable loading, would be feasable (i.e., cost, would it jeopardize the grandfathering of the ride). It would seem to meet the needs stated, although those requiring to ride that vehicle would have a longer wait.

• MiceAge Columnist

That's the option we have in Paris for both Small World and Pirates.

There is at least one special boat in the circuit that allows a wheelchair (manual or electric) to roll right on to the ride.

Ian

• Lord of the Ribs

I'd guess that cost would preclude building a separate sub. And loading would be an issue as well. Could you imagine how long it might take to load a sub full of mobility-impaired guests. Unless you could load in a separate area (like a side track), the already crummy capacity would be even less. And what do you do if the sub comes around to load and there are no guests for it. Run it empty?

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

I think it is great that even though Disney does not HAVE to make the attraction ADA compliant ... they aer willing to do something so that ALL guests can expeirnce the magic!

• Banned User

The solution is easy. Make a side entrance on the sub and have stairs and a elevator go down in the queue and load the sub from the side. This would be the fastest way since people would just walk in instead of going down stairs on the sub top.

• MiceAge Columnist

WHAT!!!

A door in the side of the Sub!!!

THEY ARE UNDERWATER ALL THE TIME :-))))

Won't everyone get wet and the sub sink?

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• Vehicle rotating backward

Maybe the track comes up and lifts the sub to the top?? It would be the world's smallest lift hill!

And then when the attraction starts, "DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!"

• Special Agent

A side sub entrance is a great idea, but it's just too expensive. In addition to constructing either a lift to lift the subs out of the water, or a lock and pump system to pump the water out of the current loading area - you'd also have to build water tight doors which would have to be constantly maintained and checked every day.

And with all the money they're spending on this, what would the show be like? The same old floating past fish on strings? Why bother.

I'm all for brining back the Sub Lagoon if they can do it for cheap, but every time something new gets posted about the Subs it sounds like the cost doubles. Just forget it and spend the 70 million for an E ticket in Frontierland.

• Banned User

haveing one sub for the disabled might not be a bad idea... though i dont see how it is possable with a "disney" budget... You wouldneed a new sub that has a elevator or something to get the wheel chair in... whihc would coast more money....

(i am surprised they asked to change the sub and have a strait ladder.. and still get in the grandfather clause??)

• Master of Disaster

you know ive allways said why not have individual omnimover style subs? maybe its too expensive but having them lift up out of the water would be a lot easier than having the entire large subs they have now come up out the water dont you think?

• Old Timer

Folks check out how its done at TDS.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    Folks check out how its done at TDS.
    No water at all in the TDS version. Just a bubble screen window between you and the dry sets. The subs are really just enclosed Peter Pan ships. Suspended from above. It was an ok ride, but you can really only see if you sit in the front. The people in the back have to look out of the sides. Was nice, but not great.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Old Timer

Though I have yet to see for myself the TDS subs its worth investigating, as a point to be made and this includes a view about the transverse seating arraingments on the Splash logs its being done supposedly because Americans are getting bigger and fatter and THAT is why there has been so many problems with current rides! I can basically only speculate that this is the reason a lot of our old time original rides were removed because now by law we must accommadate larger than normal sized guests....and pullleaze I wish this to not be a flame thread about "its not my fault".
    I as a kid rode on the old subs, no way I would think they are capable of being legal nowadays, the 20K ride of TDs has strong points and can be improved so its not a clone, either the subs come back modernized or not, there cannot be an inbetween compromise.

Interesting ideas what haven't you all forgotten an important question; how did they deal with the ADA's before? Don't get me wrong but it just seems like a simple answer do just do what they did before. Then again Mr D did make a valid point, "Americans are getting bigger and fatter..."

A better solution is to have an ADA sub! Put an elevator type device in the back of the sub, which will be covered by a hatch or something that can lower the chair down. Since the back of the sub would be all for wheelchairs (front with regular passengers), WDI can make some room for the chair to move around. But a restriction of regular wheelchairs will have to be enforced because ECV's, one can't move easily and second the people in the ECV cant control them(trust me, just look at a person drive their ECV sometime and note the number of walls they hit). So wheelchairs could be provided at the attraction. It may be a limited capacity sub but it would take care of the problem with wheelchairs.

Everytime I have a wheelchair group come up to my attraction, they want to GO ON THE RIDE. Having a video is stupid and demeaning and really takes the fun out of going to that attraction. The object is to have a fun experience, not to watch a TV, which you could see at home. Just some food for thought.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Anyone else think the lagoon would make a good place for importing Aquatopia from TDS?

I've heard nothing but praise about this ride as a nice way to spend some time and the lagoon is pretty big even if they use the cave as a place to repair cars and store a maintenance boat that can come out and rescue Guests in need of assistance if something goes wrong.

Having it buzzing along underneath the monorail & Space Ranger Spin vehicles and next to the Autopia cars would return a little bit of that World of Tomorrow motion that side of the park has been missing for years. The ride vehicles wouldn't put out the kind of pollution the subs do as well, leaving management with air quality credits to spend on things like fireworks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast