• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Jet-Man in Tomorrowland

If you most of you remember, the D23 Expo unveiled an exhibit called "Tomorrowland", based on the upcoming 2014 movie. The exhibit featured several interesting finds in a box labeled "1952". One of these finds that intrigued me the most was for an abandoned Tomorrowland attraction labeled "Jet-Man", designed by Mr. Bob Gurr himself. Here is an article that briefly mentions this idea:

"Among some of the treasures found in the 1952 collection were plans for an attraction for Disneyland titled ‘Jet-Man,’ designed by Imagineer Bob Gurr in 1966 at the request by Walt Disney to simulate man traveling in space. Using jet pack-inspired omnimover vehicles, the project was scrapped shortly after Disney’s death."

In my eyes, great ideas never die. They just take time.

Here is my proposal to create a brand new and original idea to Disneyland: VOYAGERS.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Attraction Type: While people do enjoy a slow ride every so now and then, the ride technology will not be Omnimover. Instead, it will utilize a hanging robot arm similar to Harry Potter at IOA. This will allow for fluid movement, as well as preserving the sensation of flight.

Storyline:
    The year is 2086 (as to refer to the year that the original Tomorrowland was SUPPOSED to resemble). Space exploration has reached new heights with the invention of the Jet-Man, a device which will enable flight to anywhere in the world...or the galaxy. Guests will be volunteer as "test flyers" for the new creation, and explore the far reaches of the known universe. Whereas its next-door neighbor, Space Mountain, is about the thrill of space, this one will focus more on the beaut and even danger of it (so yes, there will still be thrill).

Vehicle: The vehicle is based off of the robot arm similar to Harry Potter, except it is hanging from the ceiling. Each vehicle holds four people, each with an over-the-shoulder harness. The vehicles themselves are designed to look like giant jet packs, with a sleek look with giant rockets attached to both sides.

Location: The show building will take up the area currently inhabited by Pizza Port and Innoventions. The entire Innoventions complex is demolished, thus giving more flexibility for the show building, and more possibilities of opening up Tomorrowland a little more. The show building will end where the giant spire on Innoventions is currently standing but be pushed back a little when it turns the corner and faces the Autopia. Fastpasses are located to the left of the main entrance.

Queue: Guests enter under the Moonliner rocket, which serves as the grand entryway for Stand-By, FP, FP Distribution, and SR. The stand-by starts outside, where the current outdoor eating patio for Pizza Port sits. The entire Pizza Port location (all dining areas included) will be transformed for the queue and part of the ride. Guests enter into the space station and come across several rooms. Each room serves as means of pushing the story forward (one room is a welcome, another is what the new creation is, history of space exploration, etc.), thanks to the help of television panels and artifacts throughout the rooms. The first 3/4 of queue ends in a briefing room, which will serve as the safety spiel video, and the intro to what the "volunteers" are there for. After that, the last 1/4 of the queue is in the loading station, where the experience awaits them.

Ride: The ride itself will be an Imagineering marvel. Featuring something as simple as fiber-optics, with close-up encounters of planets/ the Moon (all in practical effects), and an exhilarating "something-goes-horribly-wrong" moment as the riders are propelled through an asteroid field, before avoiding being sucked into a black hole. Riders are then safely returned home, as the station will "put this idea to rest for a while". The ride leaves us with a message of progress, and the beauty of exploration.

Shop: No, the ride does not exit into a gift shop. But across the way, Tomorrow-Landing becomes the official stop for any Voyagers-related merchandise.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Well, there's my two cents. Disney is so wrapped up in transforming Tomorrowland into a half-Star Wars land that they forget about these kinds of ideas. Well MiceChatters, your thoughts and opinions? I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did making it!
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

Re: Jet-Man in Tomorrowland

I like the idea, it has a a good creativity to it! It kind of feels like a new idea or Rocket to the Moon/Mission to mars with the jet-man combined. I also like the originality while still holding ties to Disney origins.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleandginger View Post
    It kind of feels like a new idea or Rocket to the Moon/Mission to mars with the jet-man combined.
    It really does seem like Flight to the Moon on steroids.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

This is a kind of ride that Disney is missing. Originality is what kept Disney interesting, not just movie tie-in attractions.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Master of Disaster

I like it however may I suggest a much more simplified version. the location of the OLD rockets! (above the people mover) take the spinning mechanism and add to the end of each arm a "rocket pack" type seat (think tatsu at magic mountain). Floor drops, seat rotates to flying position and take off!