Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: Show Your Disney Side

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    Is that a florescent bulb the dad uses as a light saber? And it doesn't explode when he hits the cans?
    Literally the first thing I thought about when I watched the video.

I think this one is much more promising than the last few campaigns...because it's specifically about Disney! The last few rounds were about spending time with your family and friends, which is an absolutely wonderful and important thing to do...but you can make wonderful memories at home, at Six Flags, at the zoo, etc. This is about why you should visit a Disney park as opposed to "letting your memories begin" at one of those other places.

I'm a little confused by the previous posts about how these aren't effective because "we're already Disney fans" - these are commercials to air on national TV to people who may or may not already be Disney fans that are hoping to draw on things people already like but may not realize/remember are Disney or can be experienced at Disney Parks. People who already visit Disneyland 28 times a year don't really need a marketing campaign targeted to them to get them to go to the parks.

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by Daboltz View Post
    Looking at the negative posts above makes me wonder why people on this board are even fans of the parks?
    I don't understand, I mean EVERYTHING they do gets criticized and is substandard according to Micechat.
    Talk about poor show.
    While I'm generally not a negative nancy about the parks- I get why people here are critical. It's their passion, and they love it, and they want disney to be all that it can- and right now it's not. Disney is being lazy, and they are calling them out for it.

As far as the campaign goes- I think it's cute! the way I'm perceiving it does not translate into sales for disney though... so I don't think I'm taking it right... lol. I'm viewing it like how much fun you have at disney, but having it on a daily basis, being silly in the real world.

And I too wondered why the light didn't explode... The force must be strong in him...

• Banned User

Can they get any more generic? "Disney Parks"??? WTF? I don't like this whole "branding" b.s. This is a big FAIL. Like someone pointed out, adults aren't allowed to participate in the Jedi Training Academy, so already their promotion is misleading.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Literally the first thing I thought about when I watched the video.
    You know it would. I know it would. It's a commercial, not a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Another featherbrained promotion from the Disney Parks brain trust -- proving once again that management has zero knowledge of what makes Disneyland special, and even less instinct for how to promote it. These folks should stick to what they're best at: raising prices, pushing brands and cutting back on maintenance.
    Yep.
    It amazes me (and doesn't) that they continue to roll out these stupid, and ridiculous campaigns. Do they really believe that they need these to drive attendance to the Disney theme parks?!

Its like a restaurant that is constantly booked out months in advance, suddenly offering "free soda refills" to get more people through the door.

I think this commercial is designed to accelerate the melding of the Disney brand with the Star Wars brand so that people start thinking of Star Wars being as much Disney as Snow White or Winnie the Pooh. George who?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    Yep.
    It amazes me (and doesn't) that they continue to roll out these stupid, and ridiculous campaigns. Do they really believe that they need these to drive attendance to the Disney theme parks?!

Its like a restaurant that is constantly booked out months in advance, suddenly offering "free soda refills" to get more people through the door.
    Exactly. Too, a lot of this nonsense is driven by Disney's notorious internal politics, where the culture of "Impressing Our Bosses With Inexpensive Ideas That Make Big Bucks" runs rampant. And when the bosses are Eisner's former Chief Financial Officer and head of Strategic Planning, and the former VP of D.A.K., it's not surprising to see groupthink garbage like this rolled out on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-02-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Thank god the "Let the Memories Begin" campaign is over. I didn't understand why they all of a sudden assume we don't try to remember our visits to the Parks. Plus, it was more like an advertisement to MK...
    Explanations of myself are not possible.
    Follow my insta!! @disneyland_theoneandonly

• Selfie Expert

Campaign and all other things aside, I just adore that commercial.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Kingdom Comedian

I liked the spot. For me, Star Wars and Disney have been linked for years, so it makes perfect sense to me. I think it's funny and cute and I think that's what they were going for. They aren't promoting anything specific other than, "Hey! Disney theme parks are a thing that still exist. Don't forget about them...here's some family friendly comedy."

And of course I respect everyone's right to have a different opinion, but these two posts were back to back and it made me laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    ...adults aren't allowed to participate in the Jedi Training Academy, so already their promotion is misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    ...It's a commercial, not a documentary.
    I know the intellectual difference between bending the laws of physics for a sight gag and misrepresenting the thing you're selling, but my funny bone was still tickled.

I like it, looks like something I would do with my kids

I, too, am disgusted by the homogenization of "Disney Parks" however, I have seen two different commercials that are part of this campaign. The first was the Jedi Dad commercial, which seems to be Disneyland exclusive in the images shown. The other one was not as cute (no anecdotal situation) just a promotion for the "Show Your Disney Side" campaign, but it showed ONLY Walt Disney World. Not only did it show just WDW, most of it was Animal Kingdom! I was shocked! So, at the very least, they aren't mixing parks in a single ad.
    All I need today is a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of DISNEY.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jacobeee View Post
    Thank god the "Let the Memories Begin" campaign is over. I didn't understand why they all of a sudden assume we don't try to remember our visits to the Parks. Plus, it was more like an advertisement to MK...
    I think it just got renamed.

• Selfie Expert

I don't know if it's a year long campagin or what, but they're doing a contest via Vine for people to "show their Disney side" - so maybe it's just for this one thing?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast