Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Service Dogs in Disneyland

Hi all!

I've decided to make an attempt to save up for a trip to Disneyland (California) for my birthday weekend in mid-May.

My dog is a psychiatric service dog, PSD.
    His tasks are labeled as "Interrupt and Redirect" tasks, the main issue he focuses on is my social anxiety which causes panic attacks and my skin picking disorder to flare up.

We've been everywhere from crowded malls a week before Christmas to quiet social situations to clothes/grocery shopping to loud thanksgiving family events.
    Our most common compliment is "I didn't even know he was there." & I have no doubt he would do great in Disneyland. He's a 15-16 pound Chihuahua mix. I prefer to carry him in a front carrier which is like a backwards backpack most of the time so that he does not get trampled or crowded, especially by children who simply want to pet the doggy (little grabby children running towards him freaks him out, but who can blame him). He is however perfectly leash trained.

I had a few questions.
    Which rides would we be able to actually go on? Is there a list somewhere, or an easy way for me to look myself?
    Would he be able to stay in the carrier on rides, or would he have to be removed & sit on the floor?
    Would we always have to sit in handicapped seating, or could we sit in normal seating?
    How many 'relieving' areas are there, and are all grass?

& The most important one to me; are the employees also trained in recognizing ALL types of service dogs?
    Being that I both have what would be called an 'invisible' disability & Norman being a Chihuahua mix, we aren't always taken seriously.

I've read as much as I could find but they were either incomplete, or they were only answered about large service dogs (the normal breeds; Shepherds, Labs, Goldies, etc), which is why I thought I'd take a stab to see if anybody has the answers here.

Thanks so much for your time & any answers anybody could offer me!

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Service Dogs in Disneyland

I would call Disney with your questions. They are great at accommodating people.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I found this website. gooddogautism - dog blogs - Service dogs in Disneyland, my top 5¬*tips

Apparently, you can go to city hall when you get there, and they'll give you a card with all the info you need. Here's a list of the rides your dog cannot go on:

-Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

-Gadget’s Go Coaster

-Goofy’s Playhouse

-Indiana Jones Adventure

-Matterhorn Bobsleds

-Space Mountain

-Splash Mountain

-Star Tours

I also saw a YouTube video of a service dog on Peter Pan. Pretty cute.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sageanddog View Post
    Which rides would we be able to actually go on? Is there a list somewhere, or an easy way for me to look myself? Look under Guest Services, Disabilities, then Service ANimals on the Disneyland Website. We travel with a service dog, and we are very familiar with what to do.
    Would he be able to stay in the carrier on rides, or would he have to be removed & sit on the floor? He will need to sit on the floor. He will also need to be leashed at all times.
    Would we always have to sit in handicapped seating, or could we sit in normal seating? You can sit in normal seating in most areas, however some shows (Aladdin) will require you to sit in the handicap seating.
    How many 'relieving' areas are there, and are all grass?
    There are about 1 per land, and most are grass, but a few are just dirt.

& The most important one to me; are the employees also trained in recognizing ALL types of service dogs?
    Being that I both have what would be called an 'invisible' disability & Norman being a Chihuahua mix, we aren't always taken seriously.
    Yes, they are. However, there are new rules going into effect to follow the updates since the new ADA laws went into effect. As long as you qualify under the new laws, you should be fine. This is something that is desparately needed at DIsneyland. So many have been bringing fake service dogs into the park. I have witnessed a "service dog" min-pin bite a child in line for Matterhorn, I have witnessed a Chihuahua attack a German Shepard service dog. We have witnessed a pink poodle get loose in the shops and make a mess. These dogs make it hard for other service dogs. It will be very nice when the park can request certification.

I've read as much as I could find but they were either incomplete, or they were only answered about large service dogs (the normal breeds; Shepherds, Labs, Goldies, etc), which is why I thought I'd take a stab to see if anybody has the answers here.

Thanks so much for your time & any answers anybody could offer me!
    Rule of thumb for rides, if it has a height requirement, the dog won't be allowed to ride. You will need to wait in the Handicap Access line, but they do have crates where you can leave the dog at the ride, however, we refuse to use them, we do rider swap.

As for the rides you can ride with the dog, your dog should be able to maintain a good down stay. For example, Autopia can be quite bumpy and jar the dog. He will need to lie on the floor. If you think he may not be comfortable, you might want to skip it.
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 10-01-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Just last week I saw a person with a service Chihauhau. In all honesty I had never seen or heard of such a thing. He/she was in a stroller and she was getting in line for the Buzz ride. The CM at the front told her strollers could not be in the line, but it was because he hadn't seen the dog, and when she told him it was a service dog he said OK. (neither here nor there but she was a total jerk to this CM and talked badly about him through the whole line and I could see nothing he had done wrong). Then the dog went on the ride with them and there was no issue, except they had to enter through the handicap accessible area.

• the rockawho?

Quote Originally Posted by sageanddog View Post

My dog is a psychiatric service dog, PSD.
    psychiatric, therapy, emotional distress, comfort dogs are not considered service dogs under the american disabilities act.....

however, the likelihood of disneyland kicking your dog out is extremely slim

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    Just last week I saw a person with a service Chihauhau. In all honesty I had never seen or heard of such a thing. He/she was in a stroller and she was getting in line for the Buzz ride.

the likelihood of the dog being a real service dog is slim....service dogs help disable people accomplish physical capabilities that they are not able to accomplish themselves

there is a lot of people that abuse the system....basically the service dog system is based on the honor system....it is a misdemeanor in california to label your dog as a service dog when the owner is not physically disable and/ or the dog is properly trained. (In some cases, the dog is being trained to become a full fledge service dog by a non disable trainer)

people abuse this all the time...there are websites that sell fake service dog patches, vests, licenses, certificates etc etc. Fake registration sites that charge dog owners to register their dogs. (some sites are free)...people cheat the system to get their beloved pets into restaurants, disneyland, and other areas that pets are banned...

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    psychiatric, therapy, emotional distress, comfort dogs are not considered service dogs under the american disabilities act.....

however, the likelihood of disneyland kicking your dog out is extremely slim

the likelihood of the dog being a real service dog is slim....service dogs help disable people accomplish physical capabilities that they are not able to accomplish themselves

there is a lot of people that abuse the system....basically the service dog system is based on the honor system....it is a misdemeanor in california to label your dog as a service dog when the owner is not physically disable and/ or the dog is properly trained. (In some cases, the dog is being trained to become a full fledge service dog by a non disable trainer)

people abuse this all the time...there are websites that sell fake service dog patches, vests, licenses, certificates etc etc. Fake registration sites that charge dog owners to register their dogs. (some sites are free)...people cheat the system to get their beloved pets into restaurants, disneyland, and other areas that pets are banned...

According to ADA.gov Service Animals perform more than just tasks for the physically disabled (italics & underlining mine);

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.
    Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the personís disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post

Agree 100%. The hard part is those who bring their pets disguised as service dogs are really doing a disservice to their pet also.

We raise dogs for a large agency, who provides the dogs AND TRAINING free of charge. We seriously hope the change in the ADA will be followed. I know DIsney is working towards closing the gap and working on fixing the issue with pets being allowed in due to people abusing the current system. They have begun asking guests with disruptive service dogs (they all claim they are service dogs) to exit. It is their right. Rule of thumb, dogs paws and bodies need to be on the floor/ground.

And you are correct, emotional support/therapy/distress/psychiatric/comfort dogs are not covered under the ADA, and in the fairly near future, Disney will taking a step to correct the problem. We carry my daughter's prescription for a service dog, even though it is not required. (She is hearing impaired.)

You can click here to help with stopping fake service dogs.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    According to ADA.gov Service Animals perform more than just tasks for the physically disabled (italics & underlining mine);

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.
    Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
    You are correct, however, there is also a requirement for the person to be declared "Disabled" by their physician. The dog itself has no rights. The person must be declared disabled and a dog is needed. Not just "I have XYZ, so I need my dog." If I have my daughter's dog, I cannot take the dog to a restaurant or a store, as access follows my daughter, not her dog. My daughter is hearing impaired. She has a prescription. Her dog alerts her to alarms, her name being called, her phone alerts, etc... I would like to see certification in the near future.

Name:  fry-not-sure-if-trolling_191.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  39.3 KB

Am not sure, is serious question.

Despite this being unimportant to the conversation, I do believe that the dog I saw was a service dog. A woman was pushing the stroller but part of her group was a person in a wheelchair who was disabled and not possibly faking it. I can't think of the name of the condition they appeared to have though and I won't guess and make an *** of myself.
    Although it is possible that this person did not actually need the dog and the dog was a fake. This is a very real possibility because I am not sure what this dog could help the disabled person with. But, I try not to think about it too much because it's not my place to judge their need for the dog. I did think it was interesting however as I have never seen a service Chihauhau!
    Again not important to the conversation, I just felt the need to defend her. Not sure why because I thought she was rude and complainy =/

• Evil is Sexy

I've encountered fake service dogs in my retail work. Usually some toy breed the guest insists is their service dog - with no service dog vest, patches or any other indicator. Sometimes the guests try to "smuggle" the animals around and only claim service dog when confronted.

One tried to claim that she had a special approval from our store manager and "he" was okay with it. Our store manager was female, was called to the scene and quickly dissolved the situation.

I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt, having hidden injuries and disabilities myself, but.. man.. the fakers make me so mad that they are gaming the system. And the ones who game the system are usually the loudest to protest when they may have gotten caught, it seems. The legitimate ones have always seemed much more logical and calm when explaining their situation.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I've encountered fake service dogs in my retail work. Usually some toy breed the guest insists is their service dog - with no service dog vest, patches or any other indicator. Sometimes the guests try to "smuggle" the animals around and only claim service dog when confronted.

One tried to claim that she had a special approval from our store manager and "he" was okay with it. Our store manager was female, was called to the scene and quickly dissolved the situation.

I usually try to give the benefit of the doubt, having hidden injuries and disabilities myself, but.. man.. the fakers make me so mad that they are gaming the system. And the ones who game the system are usually the loudest to protest when they may have gotten caught, it seems. The legitimate ones have always seemed much more logical and calm when explaining their situation.
    I've come across the exact same thing, with the same behavior, in my day to day life. One of the clues for me is the way the dog behaves. Trained service dogs are working animals, and in my experience they're generally very focused on their owners and environment, don't try to interact with other people, know how to sit or stay down by their owner's feet, etc. When I see a dog who is trying to approach or jump at other people, wandering around, not paying attention to its owner, etc. - a dog that is poorly trained in general and isn't providing any assistance - I am skeptical when I'm told it's a "service dog." I had an incident on a bus where I asked a woman to stop her dog from jumping at me - reasonable request - and she was completely offended because it was her "service dog" and said I should be more tolerant. Um...?

And it does make me upset because it hurts those who have a genuine need for service animals.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    You are correct, however, there is also a requirement for the person to be declared "Disabled" by their physician. The dog itself has no rights. The person must be declared disabled and a dog is needed. Not just "I have XYZ, so I need my dog." If I have my daughter's dog, I cannot take the dog to a restaurant or a store, as access follows my daughter, not her dog. My daughter is hearing impaired. She has a prescription. Her dog alerts her to alarms, her name being called, her phone alerts, etc... I would like to see certification in the near future.

I agree 100%, certification should be required. Either because the dog has been trained through a reputable society for the disabled or a certified training facility OR has passed some type of certification test through the same type of entity since I know that some people may be able to train their own animal. I wonder if, although Disney cannot request proof of the owners disability due to the ADA, they might possibly be able to request certification of the animal before admitting it to the parks. This would reduce 'fake' service dogs and also insure that only well-behaved service dogs are admitted.

The ADA specifically excludes 'comfort animals' from coverage under the ADA, but I assume that because Disney is precluded from asking what a person's disability is, that they also probably cannot ask 'what does your animal do for you?' since that could be construed as a leading question. Certification would avoid this as the owner could just provide a paper showing that their companion is a certified service animal without mentioning the specific disability of the owner.

I love dogs (especially mine!) & really don't have a problem with them being allowed to accompany their owners in public places, like they do in most European countries, as long as they're well-behaved. But the line has to be drawn somewhere and other than service animals, Disneyland just isn't the place for them. It's not fair to submit a 'regular' dog to the crowds, noise, & stimuli in a crowded amusement park. Service animals are specifically trained to handle that, pets are not. At least, I know our Dachsie would NOT enjoy it, even if he was rolled around in a 'stroller'*!

*Actually, he'd probably be more humiliated by the stroller than upset by the stimuli. He's 11 mo old & 15 lbs and thinks he's King of the Mountain. LOL
    Last edited by Stormy; 10-02-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•   

This should answer most of your questions:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/

As for breeds of dog, you probably won't have any issues there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast