• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Government shutdown = higher crowds?

As we all know by now, the Federal Government has been shut down for all non-essential positions. My brother, who works for the FAA is now out of work until things get resolved but who knows how long that will last. When I asked him what he planned on doing today he said "I don't know. Probably go see a movie. Or maybe go to Disneyland".

This got me to thinking how many people are in the same situation. And how many of these people are local APers who will have nothing better to do than to go to Disneyland while waiting for their jobs to open back up. Was there anybody in the parks today notice that the crowds were greater than normal? If this shutout is prolonged do you think the DLR will experience a bump in attendance over the next few weeks?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Government shutdown = higher crowds?

Probably.

I think the FAA should be funded by special airline fees. Sure, they're keeping ground people safe from airplanes, but they wouldn't have to if the planes weren't up there.
    So, "use our airspace, then it's gonna cost ya."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I do think more people will be going if they have a AP and it is not a blackout day.
    I probably would, it helps me now temporarily forget about my problems, it is a great place to go relax, and being a PAP it is pretty much free relaxation and fun times if I don't but any food and just enjoy the atmosphere and the rides. though i usually find something to buy when I go, even if it is just a snack and drink.
    I don't think people who don't have an AP is going to be spending money to go though. Especially if they don't know how long until their next payday. So in some ways it will be less crowded and in other ways more crowded.

• the rum is always gone

As a federal government worker, most of us 1) live in Washington, DC and 2) are still "on notice" for when the government reopens. This means that we could be called into the office any day at any time once funding is restored. Given these conditions it makes it fairly hard to plan a trip (even a day trip) to Disneyland with or without an AP. And trust me, going to Disneyland is one of the furthest things on our mind.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe...like ten more people will come in the park...thats a high estimate. I mean most these people don't have jobs right now...why come to the parks to spend money when your out of work?

Or just tourist in general , people probably planned their Yosemite trip months in advance. Perhaps they will decide in visiting Disneyland instead.

• No Disassemble!

I would think that these workers would be concentrating more on budgeting for things like food and gas than forking over $93 bucks a person to go to a theme park for a day.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Disneyland Dreamer

There is a near guarantee that those furloughed will get back pay, so yes, if they happen to be AP holders, and in the general vicinity of a Disney Resort, why not use your free time in the parks as you'll likely get paid for it.

• Selfie Expert

My guess is local APs may be likely to go, but anyone having to shell out admission may be holding off seeing as how they aren't receiving a paycheck for an indefinite amount of time.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• The doctor is in

I would assume furloughed employees are spending more time figuring out how to save money because they aren't working than planning an expensive trip to a theme park.

When they were talking about not being able to pay the military last year I was more worried about how to pay bills, not go to Disneyland.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Chief Troublemaker

I wouldn't count on furloughs as increasing crowds in a noticeable way. It may have the reverse effect as, IIRC, during furloughs all pre-scheduled leave is actually cancelled and you are subject to immediate recall to your job when the furlough ends, even if you had pre-scheduled vacation. So some federal workers may actually have to cancel or reschedule DL/WDW trips and hang around waiting to see if they get called back to work. And after a furlough of any length, all personnel will be needed asap to clear up backlogs & get things going again.

I went through 2 shutdowns during my career. The first time I was sent home with no pay, not knowing when I'd be called back, but told that I was subject to immediate recall so to stay 'local'. I was too busy trying to find a temp job to think about going to DL. Luckily I was recalled after a few days as 'essential'. The second time we were deemed 'essential' from the get-go and worked not knowing when we would get paid. I was too busy working 'without pay' (although we knew we would be paid eventually) to think about going to DL.

There will be some local federal ee's that will decide to go to DL/WDW believing that, based on past practice, you would be paid for furlough time. But in today's political climate (and I am NOT picking sides or trying to start any kind of political discussion, so please let's not go there) I think there is much less worry on the part of legislators about the effects of a prolonged shutdown on federal workers OR the general public. And a lot of my former co-workers (who are still working, I'm retired) believe the same thing and are pretty worried that the shutdown will really have a negative effect on them & their families.

Mods; if you feel this is too political or may start a heated discussion, please feel free to delete it!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    My guess is local APs may be likely to go, but anyone having to shell out admission may be holding off seeing as how they aren't receiving a paycheck for an indefinite amount of time.
    I agree completely. For someone with an AP who is suddenly not going to be paid for the forseeable future, they will want to go to Disneyland rather then somewhere that they have to spend any money on (like the movies) as long as it doesn't cost them significantly in gas, parking fees, or food in the park. Anyone else though is not likely to be spending money on anything even remotely discretionary, and some people may even cancel their trips if they can without losing most of their money (DL packages are relatively lenient in their cancellation policy), and people who were planning on going to the park and buying their tickets on the spot may decide not to go now, so it may end up being a wash. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    As a federal government worker, most of us 1) live in Washington, DC and 2) are still "on notice" for when the government reopens. This means that we could be called into the office any day at any time once funding is restored. Given these conditions it makes it fairly hard to plan a trip (even a day trip) to Disneyland with or without an AP. And trust me, going to Disneyland is one of the furthest things on our mind.
    I think OP meant the Federal workers who live in Southern California.

Sorry you're in this situation, hope it gets resolved soon!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Or just tourist in general , people probably planned their Yosemite trip months in advance. Perhaps they will decide in visiting Disneyland instead.
    I'd say this is more likely than furloughed workers opting for the trip. "We land in LA, rent the car then... well, everywhere we had reserved is closed. Disneyland?"
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.