Monorail safety features

On Saturday we got to witness the emergency stop system for the monorail. We were waiting at the Tommorowland station, the rain was comming in and then all of a sudden dead stop, horn blaring and everyone wondering what was up. Apparently someone, or someone's kid, decided to not read the exit sign on the gate and went through and got real close to the track. After the all stop, whoever it was ran away before a CM could make it there. Then we waited, and waited for something to happen. Apparently the all stop procedure, according to the CM, shuts down all electricity to the track and train so it can't go anywhere. The have to softboot the system to get the juice flowing again. So they get it back up and pull it into the station completely and unload everyone. The the CM comes over and tries to open the gates to let us on. Well the gates are locked shut still. Apparently the electric locks were tripped and were not letting go yet. Now these are some impressive safety features and they have their purpose, however you could tell the CM's were flustered enough as it was since the fireworks were canceled and they had to get at least one train running as quickly as possible. So they decided to just let us on through the same exit gate that caused all this, only this time the emergency shut off was was manualy disarmed. It was a funny situation to most of the people on the platform and many complimented on the safety system, some with a little laugh, but I thought it was sad that there were just as many people who were actually angry about it. Of course these are the same people who would probably be the first to sue if those same redundant safety features weren't there. Sometimes the minor bugs in life make it interesting.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Monorail safety features

How interesting! It's amazing to hear the type of safety features Disney thought of for the Monorail. If I had to come up with the safety features for the monorail, I wouldn't have thought to use electric locks on the gates! That's quite smart! Anyways, thanks for sharing!

• Indiana Scott

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    How interesting! It's amazing to hear the type of safety features Disney thought of for the Monorail. If I had to come up with the safety features for the monorail, I wouldn't have thought to use electric locks on the gates! That's quite smart! Anyways, thanks for sharing!
    I'd be surprised if that's not standard feature for e-stop on most rides that have the electric gates. I know from experience at other parks that the gates seem to usually go down with rollercoasters when they e-stop, makes a certain amount of sense. Just because you've turned the ride off doesn't mean that the ride itself isn't still in motion and a potential danger to anyone on the platform in the way.
    Last edited by BogLurch; 10-02-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Monorail Junkie

Thank you for the info, that is very interesting. I for one am glad that type of system is in place.

The gates obviously unlocked, but we were already sitting in the Monorail when they did. Just to be sure, the Captain came over the radio and said " We will be here for just a bit longer while we do one more system restart. I will be opening the doors first so that you don't feel trapped with us and if you wish you may step out while we conduct this test." And of course finishes with the usual thank for your patience. They did the system restart which shut down everything. This was at night and it was dark and very quiet inside the Monorail when it's "asleep." The blue lighting goes out and everything settles. And then it came back online. They were doing this because they were going to bring Orange back online from the barn and wanted a clean system. I love it when the CM's tell you this stuff, it's so interesting to me. I like knowing how things work and it doesn't take any of the magic away for me. The engineering involved is magic in itself sometimes.