Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    224

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    the ppl that go to disneyland tend to be locals w/ passports that are naturally very passionate about disneyland (and go there many times) and thus will find ways of talking about it on forums. the ppl that go to disneyworld are tourists who go there once every so often and have no reason to participate in forums on disneyworld.
    people in florida who are annual passholders dont go like they do here?

  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,266

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    well there is a Disney World forum but that doesnt recieve near as much traffic as this one.
    Lazyboy specifically said a WDW site, not a forum. Go to a WDW-centered site and you'll find plenty of traffic.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  3. #18

    • Singing Drinker
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    I'd also say that it might be in part because the original site (mayitrestinpeace) was founded as a Disneyland site. The DIG was primarily focused on Disneyland, and as I remember they were quite proud when they added DW coverage to it as well.

    Ages ago and all, but the bias is probably baked into the site.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

  4. #19

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    376

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Lazyboy specifically said a WDW site, not a forum. Go to a WDW-centered site and you'll find plenty of traffic.
    Very true. There are a couple of sites out there that are pretty massively focused on WDW, not as much on DL. And there are some crazy discussions that go on there that quite honestly, would never happen here (they'd likely be shut down). I will say that much of what I see on that site can be far more thought provoking that alot of the threads that get started here. I would even argue that many WDW fans can be just if not more passionate than DL fans.

  5. #20

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,266

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Very true. There are a couple of sites out there that are pretty massively focused on WDW, not as much on DL. And there are some crazy discussions that go on there that quite honestly, would never happen here (they'd likely be shut down). I will say that much of what I see on that site can be far more thought provoking that alot of the threads that get started here. I would even argue that many WDW fans can be just if not more passionate than DL fans.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  6. #21

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Troutdale, Oregon
    Posts
    374

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    A few weeks back, when I posted my "Where to retire" poll (since for the cost of a week at WDW I could move to Florida), the overwhelming response was DL rather than WDW. So is that site bias or passion?

    I have never been to WDW. I have been to DLR many, many times before March, 2000 when I moved north, returning only once in September 2009. And I realized that there was nothing in Southern California I still cared about except Disneyland...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

  7. #22

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona, Ca
    Posts
    376

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    A few weeks back, when I posted my "Where to retire" poll (since for the cost of a week at WDW I could move to Florida), the overwhelming response was DL rather than WDW. So is that site bias or passion?

    I have never been to WDW. I have been to DLR many, many times before March, 2000 when I moved north, returning only once in September 2009. And I realized that there was nothing in Southern California I still cared about except Disneyland...
    I would argue that there is a ton of site bias here. However, there are those that probably have a valid opinion of both options and provided you with that advice. I've been to both resorts, my corporate office is in Florida and I woudl take So. Cal in a heartbeat. But my bias has nothing to do with WDW or DL...neither of those would go into the decision making. It would be about what's best for my family.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Historic Downtown Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    774

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    A few weeks back, when I posted my "Where to retire" poll (since for the cost of a week at WDW I could move to Florida), the overwhelming response was DL rather than WDW. So is that site bias or passion?...
    that was based on the relative level of suck which is FL compared to SoCal. Had nothing to do with the parks.

  9. #24

    • a wind to shake the stars
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    935

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    It's pretty obvious. Disneyland has a much larger local fanbase than Disney World does, and there are way more AP holders at Disneyland than there are at WDW. Disney World is multi-day vacation destination, Disneyland is something you can visit for two hours after work on Friday. When you're going to the park dozens if not hundreds of times per year you're going to notice the details more readily than you would if you're only visiting every few years.

    I mean, Disney acknowledges this. It's why they built Disney World in the first place, for the most part... they wanted to be able to control all aspects of your vacation and let you spend the entire thing on Disney property for several days, as opposed to Disneyland where you can walk across the street and be at somebody else's hotel.

  10. #25

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,486

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    people in florida who are annual passholders dont go like they do here?
    Partially true. I'm an annual passholder but I only make it out once a month for either a day trip or a long weekend (I also live 90 minutes from WDW, so I can't go weekly or multiple times a week). But I do know some who live in Orlando and go to WDW pretty much every weekend.

    Disneyland is more of a "locals" park as some stop by on their way home from work a couple nights a week or go every weekend. It's easier for them. A lot forget how big WDW is and it's off the beaten path off the highway (whereas in Anaheim, you get off the freeway and BOOM, you're there - at WDW when you get off the highway you still have to drive several miles before you get to any of the parks).

  11. #26

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,310

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    people in florida who are annual passholders dont go like they do here?
    They do--but like someone said, it's not as much of a "two-hour visit after work" place like DL is. DL is part of the community, while WDW is a community in and of itself. Getting there itself can take up to half an hour just because of how deep within the resort property the parks actually are.

    You can tell that DL is much more catered to locals by the way the two parks run. WDW wouldn't dream of shutting down two E-tickets for extended refurbs every year for holiday overlays--too many vacationers would get mad; there's no off-season at WDW. Not to mention, less people care about holiday overlays because so many people are tourists who don't take the rides in their regular incarnations for granted because they don't see them as often as DL's audiences do.

    DL fans get much more excited over smaller things because they're there enough to appreciate them. When the majority of WDW visitors go (I'd assume) about once a year, there's not as much attention to little details...the tourists are still impressed with the big picture.

    Also, I've noticed a lot more scary people hang out at DL than at WDW, especially later at night, whereas WDW is mostly all families. The punks who go to DL are obviously locals, and they take up a good amount of park space late at night. It's definitely a different clientele.

    That being said, there are lots of WDW-focused sites that are the opposite of this one.

  12. #27

    • Senior Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,198

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    I pretty much agree that the large local population makes the biggest difference. The one thing that I think also has a significant impact, at least for me, is the multi-generational aspect of DL because of its age. As a Gen-Xer, I was brought up by a Mom who is a huge fan and grew up with DL and who was also brought up by parents who grew up with Walt's early cartoons. My mom said my Grandpa was excited to visit in 1955 as she was. I really think having this multi-generational tie to the DL gives it a deeper connection.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  13. #28

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,703

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    . . . I've noticed a lot more scary people hang out at DL than at WDW, especially later at night, whereas WDW is mostly all families. The punks who go to DL are obviously locals, and they take up a good amount of park space late at night. It's definitely a different clientele. . .
    In many visits I have almost never seen scary people at Disneyland--just a few F bombs and some scary parents. I think that younger people who are attracted to Disney tend to be nicer than average. Then again, I havem't spent much time there late at night, and I don't like to be there on Friday nights after work when locals do pour in.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-11-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo

  14. #29

    • Singing Drinker
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Most of the "problem children" I've run into (or been a part of... *ahem*) over the years tend to be there on parent-purchased "babysitter" passes. Local kids whose parents give them the passes and encourage them to hang at Disneyland under the oft-mistaken impression that Disneyland's keeping an eye on their kids. I'm certain this element exists in Orlando (as far as I can tell it's part of having teenage kids - "Here, take this and get out of my hair for a few hours daily as often as possible") but for whatever reason they seem to favor other venues.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

  15. #30

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    224

    Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Partially true. I'm an annual passholder but I only make it out once a month for either a day trip or a long weekend (I also live 90 minutes from WDW, so I can't go weekly or multiple times a week). But I do know some who live in Orlando and go to WDW pretty much every weekend.

    Disneyland is more of a "locals" park as some stop by on their way home from work a couple nights a week or go every weekend. It's easier for them. A lot forget how big WDW is and it's off the beaten path off the highway (whereas in Anaheim, you get off the freeway and BOOM, you're there - at WDW when you get off the highway you still have to drive several miles before you get to any of the parks).
    ok thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Why are there no swans in the moat anymore?
    By Seawolf in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM
  2. [Question] Why where there so many tour groups yesterday, 11/11/10?
    By dj_flip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 08:53 AM
  3. [Question] Why are there so many number 42's in DL?
    By I Heart Disneyland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 02:39 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •