Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Cars Land Rocks!

Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

I agree with the comments about going to a WDW focused site, and you will see a difference. MiceChat is primarily a Disneyland site. I was on a WDW site for several years before I joined MiceChat. Living in CA, I wanted more discussion about Disneyland, so I found, and joined this site. The other site is exactly the opposite. It has a Disneyland forum, that gets very little traffic compared to the WDW ones. I still participate on the other site, often answering the Disneyland questions more than WDW.

Re: Why are there so many more people on the Disneyland forums than Disney Worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    In many visits I have almost never seen scary people at Disneyland--just a few F bombs and some scary parents. I think that younger people who are attracted to Disney tend to be nicer than average. Then again, I have spent much time there late at night, and I don't like to be there on Friday nights after work when locals do pour in.
    Now Knott's, that can get pretty scary.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    That's nothing, try Magic Mountain at night......
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    About a year ago we had Knott's "Season Passes" and went at least 10 times. We never saw any scary folks at Knotts, and I don't recall even hearing any F-bombs. I think Knott's attracts a nice crowd. I liked Knott's Scary farm guests more than Universal's Halloween Horror Nights crowd.

• Senior Minion

About a year ago we had Knott's "Season Passes" and went at least 10 times. We never saw any scary folks at Knotts, and I don't recall even hearing any F-bombs. I think Knott's attracts a nice crowd. I liked Knott's Scary farm guests more than Universal's Halloween Horror Nights crowd.
    Last time I was at Knott's, about three years ago, there were a ton of sketchy people and a huge fight broke out in the line for Ghostrider. Literally, about 12 people were involved in the fight and about 60+ people ran out of the line, some probably to avoid getting hurt, but most seemed to run when they saw security coming. It was practically a stampede. Though I will acknowledge that I think there was a band playing that night which seemed to attract more of a bad crowd. I'm sure most of the time it's better and they seem to be working on it so I'm sure things have improved overall. But the park was also very dirty and a lot of things obviously needed maintenance on that trip, the worst I'd ever seen it by far.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    That's nothing, try Magic Mountain at night......
    This. There is a reason that guests go through metal detectors at Magic Mountain. They offer season passes for something like $60, and it seems like they don't mind the gangbangers that buy them up like crazy.

We've had passes for the past year and I've seen all of the above. Nasty tatted up folks...and I mean nasty and alot more swearing than I've ever heard at DL. Don't get me started by the gang-bangers. It's a cheaper price to enter, it's bound to attract a subset of folks that are sketchy. Not everyone, just a few bad seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Disneyland fans are emotionally invested in the cultural significance of the place, and they love talking about the nuances and little Walt details that ooze forth from Disneyland. It's a hobby and enthusiasm based in love and sincere appreciation. It also helps that the second gate next door went from Zero to Hero in three years flat. Disneyland is Walt Disney.

WDW fans are tourists from out of state who are more worried about something called a "refillable mug" and their DVC points and MagicBands and Magical Express times and making Dining Plan dinner reservations 180 days in advance of their visit. The WDW culture makes it hard to appreciate what park details there are there, because they are so stressed out over the finite details of their $5,000 vacation. It doesn't help that they go for a decade or more between opening major attractions at each park, so the conversation lags. Disney World is Meg Crofton.
    This is pretty much exactly how I was going to answer. Thanks Westsider.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

From what I've read, it seems as if Disneyland has more local fans and passholders than WDW does. Also, as other people stated, it's more of a Disneyland based forum. I mean, Universal is popular too when it comes to theme parks in general, however their section isn't that active. It's on the fact that this forum was created to focus on mainly Disneyland.

While I know there are some passholders in the WDW section, it seems like with the community on here, and what I've read in general in other places that Disneyland seems more packed with local people. Where as WDW typically has a lot more people from around the world.

I mean, I live in Florida locally and never visited to Disneyland (although want to more than anything just can't afford it), but I still visit this section too, because it is interesting to read about Disneyland, the history, and even the differences compared to WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Disneyland fans are emotionally invested in the cultural significance of the place, and they love talking about the nuances and little Walt details that ooze forth from Disneyland. It's a hobby and enthusiasm based in love and sincere appreciation. It also helps that the second gate next door went from Zero to Hero in three years flat. Disneyland is Walt Disney.

WDW fans are tourists from out of state who are more worried about something called a "refillable mug" and their DVC points and MagicBands and Magical Express times and making Dining Plan dinner reservations 180 days in advance of their visit. The WDW culture makes it hard to appreciate what park details there are there, because they are so stressed out over the finite details of their $5,000 vacation. It doesn't help that they go for a decade or more between opening major attractions at each park, so the conversation lags. Disney World is Meg Crofton.
    Sorry, posts like this irritate me from both ends of the spectrum. The whole "Well OUR park is better" theory is mind boggling. A true Disney fan will love both, or at least thrive to travel to both parks for the experience. I've been to both and asking me which one to go to is like asking me whether I want steak or lobster. Bottom line, I feel sorry for the "fans" who bash either park, and I tell that to each of them when they are wrong. Both resorts have things that are unique and at the end of the day there is Disney magic. I have never felt it otherwise.

Anyway, to the original question, the reason being is that this is a Disneyland-laden site. If you want to see a reversal of things go to wdwmagic.com. There you will see tons of talk about Disney World and you'll see the Disneyland board on that site active, but not overwhelming. So sort of like this site, but the roles are reversed. I visit both.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Sorry, posts like this irritate me from both ends of the spectrum. The whole "Well OUR park is better" theory is mind boggling. A true Disney fan will love both, or at least thrive to travel to both parks for the experience. I've been to both and asking me which one to go to is like asking me whether I want steak or lobster. Bottom line, I feel sorry for the "fans" who bash either park, and I tell that to each of them when they are wrong. Both resorts have things that are unique and at the end of the day there is Disney magic. I have never felt it otherwise.

Anyway, to the original question, the reason being is that this is a Disneyland-laden site. If you want to see a reversal of things go to wdwmagic.com. There you will see tons of talk about Disney World and you'll see the Disneyland board on that site active, but not overwhelming. So sort of like this site, but the roles are reversed. I visit both.
    That post by Westwider didn't sound like bashing to me. Just pointing out differences of the cultures between the two, which seems to be absolutely true.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
    Sorry, posts like this irritate me from both ends of the spectrum. The whole "Well OUR park is better" theory is mind boggling..
    Part of it may also be geography related. I really don't like FL, so even WDW is tainted by having to visit the swamp-like-atmosphere... Disney park or not.

•   
    • Minion

I think what you might find is that a lot of people are DisneyLAND or WDW fans, rather than overall Disney fans. That applies to me. I love DLR, but I don't like every single thing Disney does, I don't like all the films or characters etc. My appreciation for DLR and DCA is about the whole environment.

I've been to WDW, and I honestly don't like it. I won't bash the park at all, but if someone asks me, I can't pretend it's a place I like. Part of that might be because of the surrounding environment (I'm not a Florida fan), but it has a very different vibe from Disneyland. Not a better vibe, not a worsr one, just a different one. That's going to appeal to some and not to others. I know people who dislike Disneyland but love WDW, too. Nobody's right, nobody's wrong, and it's all personal preference.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I believe these forums are like that because Disneyland's visitors are much different than those of WDW's. Disneyland has a larger amount of loyal APs while WDW has more people from all over the world and country.

So, DLR = more frequent visitors, WDW = more less-frequent visitors. Frequent visitors tend to be more enthusiastic on what is new because they are used to what has been there and therefore that forum is more populated.

There are also more better fitting sites for WDW fans out there, but they tend to have the once-a-year type of visitors.

Personally, I don't think it's because so many people hate WDW. It's just, there is less enthusiasm because there aren't very much frequent visitors.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I believe these forums are like that because Disneyland's visitors are much different than those of WDW's. Disneyland has a larger amount of loyal APs while WDW has more people from all over the world and country.

So, DLR = more frequent visitors, WDW = more less-frequent visitors. Frequent visitors tend to be more enthusiastic on what is new because they are used to what has been there and therefore that forum is more populated.

There are also more better fitting sites for WDW fans out there, but they tend to have the once-a-year type of visitors.

Personally, I don't think it's because so many people hate WDW. It's just, there is less enthusiasm because there aren't very much frequent visitors.
    This site is frequented by more Disneyland fans because it's a Disneyland fan site. It's really that simple. It has nothing to do with the different types of fans or the different types of visitors or whatever. WDW fans are just as enthusiastic and excited about their parks as we are about ours. It's pretty obvious, in my opinion. Disneyland site = more Disneyland fans. WDW site = more WDW fans.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast