Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Absolutely yes, all APs need to be gotten rid of.
    To be clear, you mean the admission media, not the people who hold the media.

There's no question in my mind that if the monthly payment APs were to disappear, the parks would see fewer people. Likely quite a bit fewer.
    That's what Disney is afraid of......but then again, the main reason the Disney company has been and is declining is mostly based on fear (they fired the guy who greenlit LOST for goodness sakes....because he was too much of a risk taker )

I live about 10 hours away, and visited twice in 2005, 3 times in 2006, and once a year after that. And I'm seriously considering not coming back at all. The sole reason is the huge crowds.
    I live that plus another 8 hours and have visited almost every year between 79' and 97'....then took a 3 year break before visiting again in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006...followed by a 4 year break before visiting again in 2010. Have no plans to go back anytime in the near future (although we do have a WDW trip penciled in for next March)

When I visit, it's me, my daughter (19) and 3 to 5 of her friends. We visit for 3 days.
    In the early part of the last decade it was my wife, son, and me along with my parents my brother (and his wife plus 4 boys) and my sister (and her husband and 2 boys and baby girl).......on our most recent trip (2010) my brother's family decided to go to Wisconsin Dells instead (spent less money and their smiles were just as big coming home)....those boys of his actually voted against Disneyland! in favor of the Dells......I think it's safe to say they won't be bringing their kids to Anaheim after they get married and have families of their own

I'm too tired to do the actual math, but it seems to me that Disney may very well have lost more than it gained by having a 4 - 6 full price paying guests visit less often because of the crowds. Are big attendance numbers really best?
    If you're trying to be the McDonalds of theme parks I suppose they must be

It seems to me as though the parks have become more of a locals hangout that a destination resort.
    No NFL team.....gotta go somewhere

Also, while I fully realize that life is not fair, why should I not be furious that the person next to me in a ridiculously long line may very well have paid less than $5 to get in, while I paid a LOT more?
    You should be totally furious......I understand quantity discounts but where else can one get 315 of something for the price of 4.

"Yes sir, I'd like to buy the Bacon Slam breakfast please....and, um, if I buy 3 more can I get a gift card for 300?"

"Whaddya mean I can't see this movie for free.....I already paid for 4 movies this year, the rest should be on the house!"

"I paid for a week of car insurance....the next 51 weeks are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee "

Of course, TDC could not possibly care any less what I think, unless it has a negative effect on the bottom line. And if they keep chasing the tourists away, it may very well have just such an effect........
    Problem is, the more tourists they chase away, the more they have to court the locals....which may turn even more tourists away and so on.....it's one of those vicious circle things...

Tell me if you've heard this one:

Two people walk into a bar and order the same Top-shelf drink.....the bar tender charges one person $9.00 and the other person .50 cents.

The first guy goes "hey, why does he only have to pay .50 cents? Why am I paying 18 times as much!!!?

The bartender says "but he comes in here all the time, so I give him a discount".

"Yeah, but a discount is 5% - 10%, maybe even 20%.....you're giving something like 94% off!!!!" Implores the first guy. "If you can afford to give him so much and still make money what kind of mark-up are you charging me?"

"Make money?" bristles the bartender, "I am not making any money off of him, why do you think I have to charge you so much?"

The first guy leaves in a huff.

"Lost another one you did" slurred the 2nd visitor. "You know, this place is really going down hill".

"I know, I know, looks like I am going to have to offer more discounts to me regulars just to stay afloat" mumbles the bartender.

"Hiccup" spits the 2nd visitor.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

^ Nail on the head.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• A Happy Haunt

All I read is class envy.
    This group pays less and can have more... (Reduced cost by visiting more)

I have a premium, my wife has the standard. We live in Vegas. Why would she need a premium also, if I already have one? Premium gets us the larger discount and parking. We usually go at the same time (weird, eh?). A few times, I've gone by myself.
    having the pass allows us freedom, we pay for it, monthly. We also never NOT spend $ in the park. We love to grab some food and cookies. We also enjoy the beverages at Carthay and the Beer Trolley's.

we spend.

I'd guess we spend more than a once a year tourist.
    i also, wouldn't consider us an exception.
    The AP's also, allow families, to enjoy the parks within their budgets as they can and do see fit.
    these are the times we live in.

the days of stretching your $ are here and will remain until wages and costs of living equalize.

also, there is no better deal than the monthly payment option, at 0%! It's easier than, as some have preached, saving "the payment" each month.

What is the monthly amount for a family of four? It's nothing to sneeze at, but when it's JUST that, for the entire family, of course the desire to visit more often, is quench-able.

so, NO... Do not get rid of the AP monthly option.

• 2013-14 Premium APer

We signed up for the monthly program for our first (and thus far ONLY) year of APs about two weeks after it started. We wouldn't have been able to afford APs without it, and esince that time we haven't been able to renew. In fact we've only been to the DCA once since we had APs, and that was last month when I won 4 tickets off the radio.

I too really see a lot of class warfare here. Those of you who can only go to the parks a few times a year seem to get really bent about the crowds and the AP Holders. As a past AP holder I can safely say I spent PLENTY to get into the parks and I spent PLENTY while there. I don't think there was a single time we didn't buy SOMETHING in the parks when we had APs, and we went at least twice per month. We really made that merchandise and food discount work for us.

I think it was an amazingly smart decision for Disney to make and one that I'm glad for. I'm now in the position again to be able to afford PAPs, but I'm going the monthly route yet again, because just because I CAN drop $1800+ on 3 PAPs doesn't mean I really want to drop that much at one time. $300 for one day and then $150 a month for the rest of the year is a lot more palatable, and the Disney company will get their money's worth. As will my family.

Have I been jealous of AP holders before? Heck yes. I used to tell people it was a DREAM of mine to have Disneyland APs. One that I was actually able to achieve thanks to the monthly payment feature.

There's always going to be crowds at Disneyland. That's never going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Also, while I fully realize that life is not fair, why should I not be furious that the person next to me in a ridiculously long line may very well have paid less than $5 to get in, while I paid a LOT more?
    Lots of things in life have different price points for different consumers, airlines and hotels for example are a big one, every passenger and guest is likely paying a different price for the same product, I dont see theme parks as any different.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Lots of things in life have different price points for different consumers, airlines and hotels for example are a big one, every passenger and guest is likely paying a different price for the same product, I dont see theme parks as any different.
    This. Just about every tourist attraction, hotel, sporting event, concert, play, and theme park has dynamic pricing. If you talk to ten people on the same flight as you, you might find ten different prices for the same ticket to the same destination.

Many of these things also have some sort of membership or season pass. When I lived in NYC I paid something like $60 for a year's pass to the Met Museum. The tourists who visited paid $20/visit so my membership paid for itself in three trips. The Met still wanted me to be a member because I was offering them sustained, guaranteed support. What Disney does is no different.

I also notice that some who are adverse to the AP program seem to think that other discounts are okay. So I will bring it back to what I asked before: how far do you want the "pay the full rack rate, up front!" theme to go? If someone has a military, Costco, Kaiser, Living Social, professional organization or convention discounted ticket to Disneyland, do they have less of a right to be there than you? How about someone who earned a free ticket through volunteering (RunDisney offers free tickets to volunteers who perform a certain number of hours of service) or got signed in by a CM?

If not...why then is there this attitude that people who pay AP rates have less of a right to be there, or should get out to make room for other guests?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    We live in Vegas....we pay for it, monthly.
    Wait... you live in Vegas and you're on the monthly payment plan? How did you manage that?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Could you point to me the name of the airline that will let me fly for less than 10% the rate they charge their average customer?

....and the hotel?

It would really help me out....thanks in advance

Edit to add.....btw, I live really close to an airport.....so if there is some sort of addl. discount or payment plan I'd be really interested in that too.
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 10-19-2013 at 11:08 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Could you point to me the name of the airline that will let me fly for less than 10% the rate they charge their average customer?

....and the hotel?

It would really help me out....thanks in advance

Edit to add.....btw, I live really close to an airport.....so if there is some sort of addl. discount or payment plan I'd be really interested in that too.
    Try Southwest. The prices you can get from them in advance are often less than a third of what the rack rate is. Spirit, Frontier and others have had $1 flight sales. Ryanair and EasyJet in Europe let you fly for something like 15 pounds sterling, plus tax, for the same routes that British Airways/et al might charge 50 or 100 pounds for.

With Priceline, discount codes from RetailMeNot and corporate codes you can get substantial deals on hotels. The point being that not everyone is paying the same price and the person in the room next you might very well have paid double what you paid.

Oh, and by the way, United, Jetblue and others offer a no-interest payment plan. So does Hotwire, which covers both hotels and air tickets.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-19-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Try Southwest. The prices you can get from them in advance are often less than a third of what the rack rate is. Spirit, Frontier and others have had $1 flight sales. Ryanair and EasyJet in Europe let you fly for something like 15 pounds sterling, plus tax, for the same routes that British Airways/et al might charge 50 or 100 pounds for.

With Priceline, discount codes from RetailMeNot and corporate codes you can get substantial deals on hotels. The point being that not everyone is paying the same price and the person in the room next you might very well have paid double what you paid.

Oh, and by the way, United, Jetblue and others offer a no-interest payment plan. So does Hotwire, which covers both hotels and air tickets.
    You rock.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    You rock.

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Wait... you live in Vegas and you're on the monthly payment plan? How did you manage that?
    It's one of our residences. We also have property in California.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by swaggerjagger View Post
    If Disney got rid of monthly payments, would it lower the crowds?
    Personally, I feel Disney started getting more crowded when the monthly payments started.

I think they should either remove it completely or only offer it on the Deluxe and Premium passes.
    Im an 18 year old who pays for a brand new car, phone bill, rent, insurance and a Disneyland premium pass so im a little upset you even posted this question I love the parks and find a way to fit it into my budget so without monthly payments I wouldn't be able to afford to go to the parks.

• Long live the Fire Lord

you would just have to save the money for a year, and then buy a pass.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• A Happy Haunt

It's the same thing.
    i don't get the Monthly Payment hate.

weird

It's a great program and smart for Disney to offer it.
    For example, I've been in the parks 27 times in the last 18 months of my AP... I will not be in the parks ... Maybe until my pass expires in April... But it has still been worth the $$. I have gotten my personal $'s worth. After 6 visits, it was a better value. I spend inside the gates. Always. So the more I can visit, the better the perceived value which in turn loosens my wallet inside the park. Especially for special events and ap swag

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast