Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

• world class bilge rat

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    See?
    No need to hate the player or the game.
    No one hates the player, but any rationally thinking person will hate the game.

Not everyone is in a position to take advantage of the various APs that exist.

I have only two complaints about the AP program, and specifically the monthly payment plan.

1) I consider if a gross injustice that because I live 575 miles away, I pay full price for entry into the park, while the person standing next to me in line could easily have paid less than $5 to get in.

2) APs, and monthly payment APs in particular, have flooded the park with way more people than it can handle. The net result is that when I (and every other full-price paying guest) visit, far more of my time is spent waiting in lines that didn't exist prior to the recent explosion of APs.

Again, I have nothing whatsoever against the people who take advantage of the APs (If I could, I most certainly would), my beef is with the way the program is administered, and to an even greater degree, the unbridled greed of those who are in charge of it.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwill View Post
    I decided to start a spreadsheet beginning with our first trip as APs this year - and I'm keeping track of how much we spend at the parks and how much discount we're getting. So far, three trips to the parks, spent a total of over $280, and earned about $55 in discounts. We spend more because we get the discount, pretty simple economics. If we didn't have the discount and the option to pay our APs via monthly payment they wouldn't be getting much out of us at all. But because we get the discounts we go ahead and stay on property for food and buy merch that we wouldn't otherwise because it's cheaper.

Heck I plan on buying a two-pack of the Build A Droids at Star Traders EVERY SINGLE VISIT for the entire year. If I didn't get 20% off I'd be one and done.
    And who do you suppose subsidizes your savings?

Yep, the full-price paying tourist.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post

I have only two complaints about the AP program, and specifically the monthly payment plan.

1) I consider if a gross injustice that because I live 575 miles away, I pay full price for entry into the park, while the person standing next to me in line could easily have paid less than $5 to get in.

2) APs, and monthly payment APs in particular, have flooded the park with way more people than it can handle. The net result is that when I (and every other full-price paying guest) visit, far more of my time is spent waiting in lines that didn't exist prior to the recent explosion of APs.

Again, I have nothing whatsoever against the people who take advantage of the APs (If I could, I most certainly would), my beef is with the way the program is administered, and to an even greater degree, the unbridled greed of those who are in charge of it.

Bingo x 2!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Like I have said before, differing pricing for the same product is common in many places, especially in anything tourism related.

Airlines, hotels, theme parks, aquariums, even museums do it.

I work at a hotel, and all of our rooms are identical, no special suites, tonight I have guests paying as low as 44.99 (priceline) to a high to 119.99 (walk in rate) and everything in between those price points, everyone has the same kind of room, same access to amenities etc, but few are paying the same price.

I am not sure what the big deal is for Disiney offering various discounts, and methods of entry at different prices.

• Banned User

There is no subsidy. How does a tourist subsize an AP holder when the discount is from the high priced theme park pricing? Disneyland is ensuring more revenue from incentives.

The tourist has incentives too. Everyone who pays for a ticket beyond a 1 day pass is getting a discount. Thus, it is to the tourists advantage to buy 3 day or longer multi-day passes. The cheapest APs costs more than the 5 day park hopper pass.

Every park goer must face the lowest entry price point. That's where I differ from your opinion. You averaged out the costs based on multiple trips and think there's a discount. The fact is Disney doesn't lose money because it expects a minimum amount that is quite undisputed.

1 day = $92
    1 day park hopper = $137

2 day = $175 ($83 more; $87.5 per day)
    2 day park hopper = $210

3 day = $225 ($50 more; $75 per day)
    3 day park hopper = $260

4 day = $250 ($25 more; $62.5 per day)
    4 day park hopper = $285

5 day = $265 ($15 more; $53 per day)
    5 day park hopper = $300

SoCal Select AP = $279 (170 days; 46% blockout days)

SoCal AP = $359 (215 days, 41% blockout days)

Deluxe AP = $499 (315 days, 14% blockout days)

Premium AP = $669 (365 days, 0% blockout days)

Premier AP = $979

Where does Disney lose money? And why do you care?

Where is the "gross injustice"? Disney has gotten everyone's money upfront and even more from the AP holder.

• Minion

Well-said, as an AP holder at WDW I couldn't agree more, honestly.

• Banned User

Originally Posted by micromind
    Nobody paid $5 to get in. This person paid $279 or $359 or $499 or $669 to get in. You probably paid $92 or $175 or $225 or $250 or $265 to get in.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Nobody paid $5 to get in. This person paid $279 or $359 or $499 or $669 to get in. You probably paid $92 or $175 or $225 or $250 or $265 to get in.
    No....lets say you go to the grocery store and beans are buy 1 can, get a 2nd half-off. Wouldn't you say this is a good deal, and possibly buy beans even if you wouldn't have at normal price? More importantly, lets say beans cost $2. Are you more likely to say you paid $3 for a can of beans? Or $1.50 for 2? It's all about value...the price in direct relation to the quantity.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 11-19-2013 at 08:35 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    No....lets say you go to the grocery store and beans are buy 1 can, get a 2nd half-off. Wouldn't you say this is a good deal, and possibly buy beans even if you wouldn't have at normal price? More importantly, lets say beans cost $2. Are you more likely to say you paid $3 for a can of beans? Or $1.50 for 2? It's all about value...the price in direct relation to the quantity.
    Two things.

1. Disneyland admission isn't buying a tangible product. It is entertainment. It may cost money to run the operations, but they can easily allocate more or less capacity when the need arises. You paid already.

2. The can example is where you're incorrect. You didn't buy one can for $1.50. You bought 2 cans for $3.00. If you just wanted one can, you could have paid $2, but you paid $3 for two. The grocery store got your $3.00 as opposed to your $2.00. You may only need 1 can anyways. So why did you shell out that one dollar more?

No one needs to go to the park more than 3 times a years so Disney created a demand for customers to go more. They also got you to pay more. What luck. Universal gives it away with the buy one day pass and get a year for free.

• Rock Star Minion

Universal is not as good as Disneyland. It HAS to give it away.

Disneyland created a demand for a small number (up to a million now) of customers to go as often as they want. In the process, they price out many others. They make the product not worth the daily entrance fee, due to overcrowding.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Two things.

1. Disneyland admission isn't buying a tangible product. It is entertainment. It may cost money to run the operations, but they can easily allocate more or less capacity when the need arises. You paid already.

2. The can example is where you're incorrect. You didn't buy one can for $1.50. You bought 2 cans for $3.00. If you just wanted one can, you could have paid $2, but you paid $3 for two. The grocery store got your $3.00 as opposed to your $2.00. You may only need 1 can anyways. So why did you shell out that one dollar more?

No one needs to go to the park more than 3 times a years so Disney created a demand for customers to go more. They also got you to pay more. What luck. Universal gives it away with the buy one day pass and get a year for free.
    In response to #2.

I hear you...but then say someone comes into a grocery store that's not running that promotion on the same beans, and that person ends up buying 2 cans for $4 (and they did need the beans, didn't just nab em because of a promotion). Now you have 1 person who bought 2 cans for $3, and one person who bought 2 cans for $4. Who got the better deal? Who paid less per can?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    In response to #2.

I hear you...but then say someone comes into a grocery store that's not running that promotion on the same beans, and that person ends up buying 2 cans for $4 (and they did need the beans, didn't just nab em because of a promotion). Now you have 1 person who bought 2 cans for $3, and one person who bought 2 cans for $4. Who got the better deal? Who paid less per can?
    The person who bought 2 cans for $4 really needs it. I certainly paid for items that I really need regardless if there is a promotion, but the promotion can drive me to buy more or to be introduced to the item in the first place.

I probably will never buy THIS brand item if the OTHER brand item is cheaper. So I have incentive to try THIS item and I am tempted to buy more.

This is the same with Disney APs. I will never go more than a 2 or 3 day ticket, but if in one particular year where I "felt" like going more because I have this Disney fix that must be satisfied, I'll buy the AP for one year. Otherwise, I won't. The AP is in itself a promotion, although it is quite an expensive promotion. And no, I won't buy 2 separate one day tickets unless its an exceptional situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    See?
    No need to hate the player or the game.
    I am the player, and I hate the game. I'd gladly sacrifice my AP and monthly payments if everyone else did too. They are making the parks miserable, but as long as it's there, I'll continue to use it intermittently*. There's no way I'm paying full price to get into the parks as they are. If the AP was gone? I'd gladly pay full price.

*We are currently lapsed as we are going to Hawaii next year. But after we get back, I'm sure it won't be too long before we get the itch.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Hear, Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    I am the player, and I hate the game. I'd gladly sacrifice my AP and monthly payments if everyone else did too. They are making the parks miserable, but as long as it's there, I'll continue to use it intermittently*. There's no way I'm paying full price to get into the parks as they are. If the AP was gone? I'd gladly pay full price.

*We are currently lapsed as we are going to Hawaii next year. But after we get back, I'm sure it won't be too long before we get the itch.
    Exactly!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Pilot EdForceOne

Is monthly payments the new stroller topic?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast