Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

Each visitor is not unique.
    Some visitors visit 10-15 times a year, for $499. Not all of them, but certainly more go more often than, say, once, as implied by the "each visitor is unique" remark.

And I don't think anybody decides to buy an AP without determining how often they plan to visit over the next 365 days. I have a higher regard for their intelligence, I guess.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Each visitor is not unique.
    Some visitors visit 10-15 times a year, for $499. Not all of them, but certainly more go more often than, say, once, as implied by the "each visitor is unique" remark.

And I don't think anybody decides to buy an AP without determining how often they plan to visit over the next 365 days. I have a higher regard for their intelligence, I guess.
    Each visitor is unique. Each visit is not unique. The $499 AP is bought by one unique visitor.

Intelligence is not at issue here. It is getting your money's worth. If intelligence is at work, you'll never buy one.

• Rock Star Minion

It's the other way around, actually: each visit is unique (if they weren't, people wouldn't come back so often). The visitors over a period of one year are not unique.
    If intelligence is at work, you'll never buy one.
    Wow, I hope that is not some attempt at an insult. That is frowned upon around here.

Some intelligence is required to determine if someone will get his money's worth, by estimating the number of visits before he buys the AP.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Singing Drinker

It's the other way around, actually: each visit is unique (if they weren't, people wouldn't come back so often). The visitors over a period of one year are not unique.

Wow, I hope that is not some attempt at an insult. That is frowned upon around here.

Some intelligence is required to determine if someone will get his money's worth, by estimating the number of visits before he buys the AP.
    "Money's worth" is a VERY subjective term, though.

For someone living ten hours away from the park, "money's worth" may be that they're in LA frequently enough - but not consecutively enough - that paying $700 for four visits is worth it to avoid having to buy tickets every time with the added perks of the discounts and such. Several people on this thread and others like it are members of that group.

For someone living ten minutes away, "money's worth" may NOT be worth $99 for a year's worth of visits because they don't like it, don't care, are too poor etc.

Worth isn't the right field to fight this on to argue for getting rid of the payments. Being as subjective as it is, I'll bet you could find a ream of anecdotal reports to support *any* payment configuration or lack thereof.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Banned User

No, you got that wrong. Backwards. Each visit is repetitive. Each visitor is unique because the visitor pays once for admission based on what is offered at the ticket booths.

This sentence "The visitors over a period of one year are not unique." does not make sense. The visitor is unique, but the visits are not unique. Over the period of one year, you can count how many times people entered the park. You know how many times they entered the park. A (unique) visitor can visit several times.

That's why Disney sells an admission ticket at the highest possible amount to a visitor. In return, the visitor is granted admission based on the quantity of the day pass (1 to 5 admissions) or unlimited with blackout dates.

Intelligence is not the motivating factor in buying the AP. It is emotion. It is an impluse purchase. Why would anyone wants to see the park more than once or a few times. They love it. Love cannot be measured by intelligence.

Money's worth is subjective and also not as an important motivator. The AP gives the customer return priviledges without the 14 day restrictions of a regular day pass. The AP doesn't expires so quickly. One year is a long time and it gives the customer time to enjoy the park without time/day restrictions although there are the limitations of the blackouts.

No one decides to visit as a hard numbered goals. It is not the major factor to return. Visiting a lot is actually quite easy with an AP. It is a bigger chore if you're limited by your circumstance like work or school or other home actitivities. You want to go 10 times? How hard is going once a month? To some, it is quite hard, but they feel compelled to. In this case, Disneyland is the motivator because they DO want you to come back and extract more spending from you.

Intelligence tells you that you can't possibly realize the benefit of the AP because you don't need to go and you have no time and $499 is a big deal.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Intelligence tells you that you can't possibly realize the benefit of the AP because you don't need to go and you have no time and $499 is a big deal.
    That is certainly true for me. All three points.

I'm merely counting admissions differently from you in order to analyze them. I'm not sure what you're doing.
    And, for the most part we are not thinking only about long-distance travelers thinking about buying an AP. We're referring mainly to those within an hour's drive. That is the bulk of AP'ers. However, there are, in that radius, a LOT of other people who don't go to Disneyland (or go very rarely, say once every five years), priced out by the company, because they only want to go once (maybe twice) a year, and want to spend only $60 or so per visit, which seems to be the perfect price for an off-season admission, if there was an off-season.

• Banned User

That is certainly true for me. All three points.

I'm merely counting admissions differently from you in order to analyze them. I'm not sure what you're doing.
    And, for the most part we are not thinking only about long-distance travelers thinking about buying an AP. We're referring mainly to those within an hour's drive. That is the bulk of AP'ers. However, there are, in that radius, a LOT of other people who don't go to Disneyland (or go very rarely, say once every five years), priced out by the company, because they only want to go once (maybe twice) a year, and want to spend only $60 or so per visit, which seems to be the perfect price for an off-season admission, if there was an off-season.
    My example would apply to those that live less than 1 hour commute to Disneyland. I made myself very clear that each visitor is unique and each visit is repetitive.

I don't understand what you're argument is leading to, but somehow you think you have a point.

$60 per visit is in the past. It doesn't exist anymore. It costs $92 per visit to enter. If you want to visit 5 days with park hopping, it costs $300 per person. The breakdown is $60 per day if you wish to use the so-called discount in your calculations. The ticket still costs $300. If you upgrade to an AP, it starts at $279 per person for the SoCal Select AP.

The truth is Disneyland gets more from you as the starting point. The tickets are an impulse, emotional purchase.

Monthly based payments are regarded as a good standard period. The other set of payment are not appropriate and have lots of disadvantages on both ends because it affect the trade execution.
    Last edited by peterson23; 12-27-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    The market is weird. Every time one guy sells, another one buys, and they both think they're smart.

•   

The tickets are an impulse, emotional purchase.
    I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are people on this board who live very far away and who knew in advance that they would visit DL twice or three times this year for a certain period of time, already had the dates picked out, and realized that an AP would be cheaper than buying a five day park hopper twice a year. For some, the decision to buy an AP was made after first determining when they were going and for how long and then figuring out the cheapest way to do it.

• Disneyland AP

it would be incredibly mean and selfish thing for them to do. The monthly system makes their outrageous prices bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    it would be incredibly mean and selfish thing for them to do.
    Corporations don't have malice/animosity/emotions.

The monthly system makes their outrageous prices bearable.
    Its the same cost regardless.

What they SHOULD do is offer a "cash discount" for buying up front, and the monthly process doesn't get that discount because they are giving up the time value of money on that monthly program.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    I don't think this is entirely accurate. There are people on this board who live very far away and who knew in advance that they would visit DL twice or three times this year for a certain period of time, already had the dates picked out, and realized that an AP would be cheaper than buying a five day park hopper twice a year. For some, the decision to buy an AP was made after first determining when they were going and for how long and then figuring out the cheapest way to do it.
    My definition of an emotional and impulsive purchase is precisely by those that visit the parks for multiple trips. Who would take 2 or 3 trips per year if they didn't have such an emotional connection to the parks? Beyond the first or second day trip, you got to love it real bad to continue the pilgrimage. That's not to say the person cannot consider ways to lower admission costs by buying an AP if it suits your situation, but my argument was always that APs are a "want", not a "need".

• Singing Drinker

Who would take 2 or 3 trips per year if they didn't have such an emotional connection to the parks?
    Simple. People who enjoyed the experience and have figured out their budget to allow for multiple visits. SOME of those customers will be doing it for strictly emotional reasons, but it's reductive and unfair to claim that ALL are simply being emotional. It's even worse saying they're impulsive. I'm sure that there are some people who impulsively drop thousands of dollars on a whim, but that's such a 1% problem that I can't even see the concept of it from my economic strata.

It's not "emotional" to go to a restaurant you like multiple times or read a book you enjoy multiple times - it's a mark that you enjoyed the experience and the way it was delivered. Repeat customers are a known and planned for event. Why should Disneyland be different?
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Disney Philosopher

all i know is i want to goto DL, and by whatever means possible I will go as often as I can and if that means an AP, so be it. If i can't afford it now than thats what payments are for.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

You are correct. The 10 year note just rose above three percent today. As long as the economy continues to improve, the rates will continue to rise for short term interest which means that Disney will be leaving money on the table if they don't add some kind of interest charge to the monthly payment folks.

Disney never leaves money on the table for too long....
    Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Corporations don't have malice/animosity/emotions.

Its the same cost regardless.

What they SHOULD do is offer a "cash discount" for buying up front, and the monthly process doesn't get that discount because they are giving up the time value of money on that monthly program.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast