Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

Even if they do take away the monthly payments, you have the option of taking a year and saving up for it. You'll miss one year. but you could still get your pass since you'd have the cash for it ahead of time. I doubt they will, but it's still possible.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMenTellNoTalez View Post
    The price of passes are simply too high to have people to pay price in full.
    Not really. I have a wife and two kids and we all have Premier Passes. We paid up front, no monthly payment plan. Just putting a little aside until the end of the year makes it very affordable and responsible.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

I don't see an issue with the payment plans. IMHO it's no different than budgeting payments for other memberships over time, like your fitness center, dance school, country club, etc.

I've been to the park on days when all passes are allowed and all the rides have been walk ons. On the other hand there are days when almost all passes are blocked and the park is unbearable. It's not just the APs or the California APs.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I don't see an issue with the payment plans. IMHO it's no different than budgeting payments for other memberships over time, like your fitness center, dance school, country club, etc.

I've been to the park on days when all passes are allowed and all the rides have been walk ons. On the other hand there are days when almost all passes are blocked and the park is unbearable. It's not just the APs or the California APs.
    Someone should do something about those, "other" guests!!
    Last edited by sediment; 10-02-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not really. I have a wife and two kids and we all have Premier Passes. We paid up front, no monthly payment plan. Just putting a little aside until the end of the year makes it very affordable and responsible.
    That is great that you were able to pay up front for 4 Premier Passes. Are you insinuating that just because someone decides to choose an interest free payment program they are irresponsible?

The first year we had Premier passes we were lucky enough to be able to pay in full. The next year we tried to save up and a lot of other things happened that kept us from reaching that goal. We did the math and figured out that we could swing the monthly payment and get them back. As it turns out, our monthly payment for us costs less than for us to go to the park for one day. The monthly plan option has nothing to do with the crowds. As was stated before, the park has been packed even on days when most of the passes are blocked. If anything I think they need to make a smaller park capacity number. Last year, the park actually did close it's gates because they reached the max and it was unbelievable.

• Singing Drinker

Another angle of the AP program that could be considered - by using the payment plan you're also enabling your own ability to stop giving Disney money if you don't like what they've done.

Pay for it up front, you no longer have commercial relevance to Disneyland beyond what merch and food they can sell you.

Pay it in a payment plan and you *can* walk away. If you stop paying, you will be required to make good on missed payments but you can still resume. And if you're truly ticked at the Mouse, you can simply cancel your pass, stop paying for it, and never go back secure in your knowledge that Disney's taken an actual (if small) financial hit for whatever moved you to sever ties.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    If anything I think they need to make a smaller park capacity number.
    Just so we're discussing the term with the same meaning:
    1. "Park Capacity" is the maximum number of guests that can fit into the park at any given time, according to the Fire Department.
    2. "How many guests TDA decides to let in at any given time" is determined by TDA.

I think you are referring to the second term.

IMO, the park capacity (first term, above) is already too small, due to a number of factors: closing attractions without replacement, refurb schedule, FastPass, open attraction's capacities and through-put, etc.
    If park capacity can be increased to some version of its former self (say, 90K or so), then 60K in the park at any given moment won't be so unhappy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Another angle of the AP program that could be considered - by using the payment plan you're also enabling your own ability to stop giving Disney money if you don't like what they've done.

Pay for it up front, you no longer have commercial relevance to Disneyland beyond what merch and food they can sell you.

Pay it in a payment plan and you *can* walk away. If you stop paying, you will be required to make good on missed payments but you can still resume. And if you're truly ticked at the Mouse, you can simply cancel your pass, stop paying for it, and never go back secure in your knowledge that Disney's taken an actual (if small) financial hit for whatever moved you to sever ties.

Can't people simply not renew their AP at renewal time if they're truly ticked at The Mouse? Are they forced to pay for another year of entrance they don't find worth the price?

•   
    • Minion

I think they could help the crowding by fixing up the parts of the park that don't have as much foot traffic. Spread people out. Even on New Years even there are parts that aren't as crowded. If they could add attractions shows or whatever to those areas it would help more so than getting rid of a ticket plan imo. As far as I can remember Disneyland has always been crowded.Of course my memories only go to the early 80s!

I thought if you got the payment plan, you still had to finish out the payments for that year. Someone in another thread said Disney would send bill collectors if you didn't.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I did the math. A premium pass pays for itself at about 10 days in the park in a year. A select pass (assuming you qualify) pays for itself at 5 days in the year. If it's just one or two passes you're buying, coming up with $556-1340 cash may not be too tough. If you have to buy 4 passes so your kids have them, you're talking $1112-$2680. Add more if you have more kids. That takes some savings or the monthly plan.

My daughter and her husband dropped their Deluxe pass a few years back. They didn't have the cash, knew they were going to start a family, and did NOT want to finance it through the monthly plan. They also knew they wouldn't be going as often. But the thought of financing something that they had previously paid cash for, turned them off. More families could make that decision.

My husband and I don't have the pass, only because we know we just couldn't justify 10 days up at the park in a year. For us, it would probably lose some of the "magic" if we went too often. That -- and we're military and often, there are military specials on tickets. Disney just offered another 3-day park hopper ticket for less than the gate price for a 1-day park hopper, and it's good until NEXT September.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

Yes, my apologies, I picked the wrong words perhaps. They should limit the amount of people that would "comfortably" fit in the park instead of how many can be crammed in by law.

Also the monthly payments for Premium passes work just fine for us. For 3 passes we pay $144 a month which is less than buying 1 day park hoppers for 3 and we go at least once a month.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Even if they do take away the monthly payments, you have the option of taking a year and saving up for it. You'll miss one year. but you could still get your pass since you'd have the cash for it ahead of time. I doubt they will, but it's still possible.
    It's not only possible - it's fact. If you set aside an amount equivalent to a monthly payment for one year, you will have saved enough to pay up front for a pass. It's a matter of people learning to budget and plan ahead.

I'd say yes, get rid of the plan. It should technically only stop people from coming for a year, because as stated above they could save up for a year and be able to purchase a pass. If they keep setting aside the monthly payment, they'll be able to continue to renew. Stopping the payment plan should not permanently prohibit anyone from affording the pass who could afford it previously.

*Note - I am aware of annual price increases. That is not the topic of this thread, I am addressing only the issue of monthly payment plans.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast