Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

You can't cancel the pass, monthly payments or not. If you had some sort of customer service issue and wanted to "cancel" I suppose you could complain and they might offer you something, but cancelling midyear in an attempt to not finish paying it off is not an option. Even if you never went back, you'd still owe the balance.

The monthly payment plan, also, last I checked, isn't a financing option. At least, not what I think of as "financing". They're just letting you pay in installments. You provide a credit card and they autobill it. You have to already have the credit to do it. By signing up for the payments you're authorizing them to charge your card on a certain date until it's fully paid. They don't send bills and you can't mail in checks or pay in cash or anything. There's also no fee or interest or anything for choosing monthly payments. The first payment is, I believe, the amount of a one day ticket. The remaining payments are the balance divided by 11. At least, that was the case when I did it. I suppose some of the above may have changed this year.

All the talk and innuendo about getting rid of monthly payments to do away with "certain" people/crowds sounds a bit elitist to me. I don't care either way as I've been an AP holder for years.

I believe, and could be wrong, that Disney introduced the monthly plan to draw in crowds (that's what monthly payment plans do in most scenarios: allow more people to access the product). They couldn't care less about reducing these crowd numbers IMO. I think they've made it clear that APers don't run the park so us having this "off season" or feeling like the parks is "ours" all the time does not matter to them. They are a large company and I'm sure somebody somewhere is number crunching with joy at what the recent crowd levels have gotten them. This is evidenced in part by the way they are overselling the Halloween Parties.

They also keep raising their prices, I don't think that would be a very safe move if they didn't find a way to be more affordable to the masses. The large crowds can be attributed to a few things and it's very likely methodical. What business is not going to think of bringing new customers in? In fact that's what a lot of businesses spend most of their time doing. I doubt that at any point in time Disney is going to think "wait, maybe we should stop trying to appeal to the masses and just focus on our loyal fans.

Disney puts Club33 far far above us APers because they are shelling out way more money than we or the average guest ever will so, I don't think that's a proper comparison. Also appeasing Club33 guests often does not alienate the average tourist who may or may not even know of it. This is a tangent, but that's another issue I have with Court of Angels being taken: umm are we going to be able to see Club33 guests from the outside? That's a little tacky IMO.

So, all that being said do I think Disney should get rid of the monthly payments? I don't know.

I think Disney should find a better way to manage the crowds period. My recent visits haven't been as enjoyable as they used to be for a number of reasons. So I might just stop with APs all together and just buy as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by kristibaer View Post
    I remember Al reporting the year monthly payments were introduced that AP's went from 200k to 800k in less than 6 months and it tipped 1 millon before the end of that year. My family and I all dropped our passes because of the increase of crowds and no more "off-season". I know we weren't the only ones either. I personally don't think a Disney AP is something that should be financed like a car or home, but I REALLY think the lower passes with $7/mo payments shouldn't be financed at all. If someone doesn't have the discipline to save or money to pay up front (especially at $7/mo), maybe the AP is something you really don't need.

My answer to the question of this thread, YES.

There is no AP plan that I'm aware of for anything like $7 a month. The pro-rated amount would be $84, which is less than general admission.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    There is no AP plan that I'm aware of for anything like $7 a month. The pro-rated amount would be $84, which is less than general admission.
    I believe it's something like $7 per month on top of your first days' admission......
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Southern Cal Select is $15.59/ month after $94 down payment Around June 2010 when SoCal Select was $169, after a one day downpaymnt of around $90 , then dividing by 11 it does work out to around $7/month
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 10-03-2013 at 12:35 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I believe it's something like $7 per month on top of your first days' admission......
    The cheapest one right now is So Cal Select and after the first year, when the down payment at the beginning is the monthly payment X 2), it's something like $22/month. So Cal is $29 and Deluxe is close to $40. Nothing is $7/month.

Attachment 33063
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Somebody mentioned it but the bottom line is, monthly payments allow Disney to raise the price on their tickets. By spreading the cost over 12 months, Disney can justify price hikes.

Who could afford a car if they had to pay for it all up front?
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    Somebody mentioned it but the bottom line is, monthly payments allow Disney to raise the price on their tickets. By spreading the cost over 12 months, Disney can justify price hikes.
    That may help, but the reason any company offers monthly payments interest free is for the sake of advertising. Advertising an annual pass for $500 scares people off. Advertising an annual pass for $15/month sounds totally doable for just about anyone in almost any economic situation.

Plus, living in Southern California is way too expensive, so it's very hard to set aside money yourself to save up and buy a pass all at once. Yes, people "should" do it but the reality is that people don't, and it's not because they are lazy, undisciplined, or anything else. It's because if they try to set aside some money for something, inevitably some kind of emergency comes up (car breaks down, kid needs braces, etc.) and they just have no choice but to use the fund they have set aside for Annual Passes in order to pay for it. Someone can pretty much guarantee that they will be able to find a way to pay the $15/month payment on their annual pass. They can't guarantee that if they set aside $15 a month for a year to then go buy the annual pass that they won't end up having to use that money for something else in the meantime.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    How about just charge per use.......if a day at Disneyland is worth X, than shouldn't everyone pay X on that day? Is it really fair to charge one person $130+ dollars for the same experience you charge another $1.58 for ???

Am I really supposed to feel sorry for the "plight" of the latter and support monthly payments
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    ...If you set aside an amount equivalent to a monthly payment for one year, you will have saved enough to pay up front for a pass. It's a matter of people learning to budget and plan ahead.

I'd say yes, get rid of the plan. It should technically only stop people from coming for a year, because as stated above they could save up for a year and be able to purchase a pass. If they keep setting aside the monthly payment, they'll be able to continue to renew. Stopping the payment plan should not permanently prohibit anyone from affording the pass who could afford it previously...
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post
    Who could afford a car if they had to pay for it all up front?
    In Southern California a car is virtually a necessity. Disneyland is an entertainment luxury.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disney Geek wannabe

What does it hurt anyone else for people to purchase their annual passes on an installment plan? My hubby and I both got the deluxe passes this year. We live about 5 hours away and try to plan 3 to 4 day visits every other month, excluding the summer because I can't deal with that sort of madness. its something like 63 bucks a month charged onto our Disney premier visa. It isn't something purchased on "finance". Just because we pay monthly doesn't mean that we can not budget or afford it. We choose to pay monthly because it is easier on us financially and does not cost us anything additional to pay it that way.

The Disney company is very smart to offer these, heck they should offer more annual pass options. Pass holders do spend quite a bit of money in the park too. We do buy food and souvenirs not to mention staying at the hotels and bringing additional money to the city of Anaheim.

And to answer the OP's question, it would most likely lighten the crowds up during the weekends and during major events and holidays.
    “If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
    A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This.

And this.

In Southern California a car is virtually a necessity. Disneyland is an entertainment luxury.
    And? I find it amusing how this discussion has basically turned into the financial advising of other guests.

For the record I was born and raised in SoCal and guess what? Had to take public transit EVERYWHERE all through college. Didn't kill me, though I would've loved the luxury of a car.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMommaApril View Post
    What does it hurt anyone else for people to purchase their annual passes on an installment plan?
    When the AP installment plan started, the crowding at Disneyland dramatically increased. It was noted in numerous threads on this forum at the time.

Note that the problem isn't people using the installment plan, it's Disney's marketing strategy of offering it, and aggressively pushing AP sales in general, that is adding to the crowding issues.

As has been posted many times in AP discussion threads: AP Users = good, AP Program = bad.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Still lost in Neverland

That would make it impossible for me to ever go to Disneyland again. You have to remember not every Disneyland fan is rich. Some, like me, live on Social Security and after paying rent and electric and phone and Cable bills I still have to buy groceries. The only way a Senior can afford any kind kind of Pass is by doing a monthly payment. Plus I am handicapped and have to have money to rent one of those EVC scooters as I can't walk very far without having to sit down even with a cane. I have been going to Disneyland since the day it opened in 1955 and I don't think I should be barred from going just because Social Security doesn't even cover the full price of Any Pass. If you think this doesn't hurt wait until you turn 71 have a debilitating illness and you might be singing a different tune. Enjoy your young life now before you get to old to work and depend on Social Security.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Uh no.

• Of Two Minds, or More

My math shows a Premium pass being paid for in just over 4 days in the park. It's helpful to remember you're essentially buying a one day park hopper and parking.

Even rounding up, 5 days in the park is totally worth it for me. I try to go once a month, except for two months out of the year where my weekends are totally booked with something else.

I love being able to go when the mood strikes. Some years I'm there more often, other years less. But I always count off my four days until I'm break-even.

To bring the conversation back on topic, the payment plan makes it easy for me so I have a hard time seeing that as something bad. Growing up in California and having my Uncle work in Disneyland means the park feels like home to me. Even the years in which I was broke I worked really hard to make it at least for my birthday. I don't see the problem with "hanging out". It's rare that I can spend less than $60 on a visit, usually it's much more, so it's not like they aren't making money off this APer.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast