Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• And Dad was my hero.

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

I will start this out with an apology, this is going to be long... I have a lot of thoughts on this. I have not spoken on this issue since I joined the board almost two years ago and got slammed by another poster for advocating that Disneyland should continue to try to be accessible for the working poor.

No, I do not think they should get rid of the payment plans because I am an advocate for all people (specifically hard working families) that want to and can budget to be able to get into Disneyland. I don't think that payment plans and budgeting have to be mutually exclusive, all it does is making the budgeting for visiting more accessible.

Does accessible always mean more congestion, I don't believe so... let me explain:

Do I believe it is everyone's "right" to go to Disneyland? No.

But do I believe it should be considered a "luxury product". No way.

Reasoning: What Disneyland should be is what was an originally intended to be, a place parents and children could enjoy TOGETHER. I will never stop believing that all the problems associated with Disneyland can be linked back to a basic loss of this original concept. I believe that couples, groups of friends and people who like to go alone could all benefit from honoring this because it IS what made Disneyland great. The beauty of a family park is what made it special and different and focusing on family. Cater to making Disneyland more of a "luxury product"... You WILL lose what soul is left of it, I can guarantee that.

What I do believe is that there should only be one plan WITH block outs, no unlimited 365 plan no matter how much you spend. I'm not sure why everyone complains about payment plans but NOT the premiere pass, which allow those people willing to spend that amount (regardless of all at once or monthly) to come every single day if they want?! Where is the logic on this? I am being genuine. Someone explain to me how offering a pass that comes out to such a low cost per day is good idea?

So then, I think simply offering "tourists" (ones who but tickets not passes) a clear cut opportunity (example: most weekends in the summer) to know they have a CHANCE to attend the park without having to contend with a wall of (local) bodies would be refreshing and welcome for everyone.

Offering all these levels of plans adds to a general confusion for the average tourist who just wants to know when the heck to go. Why should those people have to pour over AP calendars to figure it out. Something my dear father would have called "too many moving parts". Same thing that happened with GAC. Trying to please too many demographics in too many different ways (and all at the same time) is never going to achieve the desired effect of people enjoying a less congested park.

One plan, somewhere around the cost of the So Cal. (regular not select) with approx. those limitations for EVERYONE. Maybe we will never have a "low season" again but at least the seasons could be evened out properly, in a very simple way.

Point of reference: We have a family with 3 adult APs and a 2 year old (set to expire in early Nov.) Yes, we got them with the payment plan, and have gone a total of 5 days. We hardly overused our passes but we did get a slightly better value than we would have if we had just gotten tickets. We live 3-4 hours away and it's hard to get down. I am happy that I got any kind of savings, and I think locals could learn to be happy with the incredible value that they get, even if they were cut off for some blackouts.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    Point of reference: We have a family with 3 adult APs and a 2 year old (set to expire in early Nov.) Yes, we got them with the payment plan, and have gone a total of 5 days. We hardly overused our passes but we did get a slightly better value than we would have if we had just gotten tickets. .
    How is going 5-days a better value than buying straight multi-day passes unless you are talking individual days, not consecutive days.

Regardless, an AP is indeed a luxury... I don't have one for example. Does it make fiscal sense? Possibly, but to date, I've gone only once per year(3-4 day stretches) or every other/few years. Its a luxury for us. Its a luxury for anyone. Period. you don't need it to survive.. its enjoyable, but enjoyable things ARE called luxuries.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekery View Post

Who could afford a car if they had to pay for it all up front?
    I've nearly always paid cash for vehicles... then again, I've seldom owned vehicles produced within the decade they are purchased in.

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    How is going 5-days a better value than buying straight multi-day passes unless you are talking individual days, not consecutive days.

Regardless, an AP is indeed a luxury... I don't have one for example. Does it make fiscal sense? Possibly, but to date, I've gone only once per year(3-4 day stretches) or every other/few years. Its a luxury for us. Its a luxury for anyone. Period. you don't need it to survive.. its enjoyable, but enjoyable things ARE called luxuries.
    Yes they were individual not consecutive. Did not want to go for just one long stretch. Oh and they were purchased before the price hike ($269), so a 5 day park hopper is to date only a $4 saving above that anyway. I factored in flexibily. Figured a two or three 2-3 day visits over the year and that's pretty much what happened.

I agree. I did not say going to Disneyland is not a luxury, it is. I said it will lose it's soul if it continues to focus on being a luxury product rather than a family park. Two totally different things.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    Yes they were individual not consecutive. Did not want to go for just one long stretch. Oh and they were purchased before the price hike ($269), so a 5 day park hopper is to date only a $4 saving above that anyway. I factored in flexibily. Figured a two or three 2-3 day visits over the year and that's pretty much what happened.

I agree. I did not say going to Disneyland is not a luxury, it is. I said it will lose it's soul if it continues to focus on being a luxury product rather than a family park. Two totally different things.
    I used to be a shareholder (wish I still was, but its selling at a premium these days and I can barely justify my trips, muchless owning a piece of the disney corp). If I was STILL a shareholder, I'd be demanding a return, and if that is what it takes to get a return, so be it. It saddens me, but Disney should have stayed family-controlled. Alas.. it is now a for-profit corp, and if they don't deliver results, they get removed.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    If Disney were interested in lowering the Park's attendance, they could do it in a myriad of ways; but I don't see any evidence of this being the case. Some, I believe, misinterpreted the recent AP "price hike" as an active interest on Disney's part to manage crowd control. But, in my opinion, it doesn't stand to reason. It is my belief that if there happened to be any effect on attendance numbers by the raising of AP prices (which I doubt), it was purely coincidental.

Factor in the many different tiers of APs offered; and add to that, a policy making APs more comfortably affordable via payment plans, and this leads me to conclude that Disney has no intention or desire to "cull the herd". And, from a bottom-line perspective, why should they?

Let's face it, Disney fans and Park-goers have a long-standing history of eagerly paying what Disney demands. Their policies are tailored to fit demand. If we don't like the fit, but still buy the stuff anyway, who's to blame?
    Totally agree with this.

Crowded days increase revenue, inspire some to come back another day to ride the missed rides, inspire some locals to apply the price of their one-day ticket towards an annual pass so they no longer have to worry about crowds, and perhaps even inspire vacation-goers to add extra days to their next trip. For every person who tires of the crowds and vows never to return, there are plenty of others who are planning their trips right now.

I really don't think Disney wants to thin the crowds.

Yeah I'll say it again: I find it amusing how this discussion has basically turned into the financial advising of other guests.

Some of you are going on as if you think your opinion that if people can't afford to pay all at once then they don't deserve an AP matters lol. Bahaha. Disney is not interested in lowering attendance therefore I highly doubt that they'd even consider getting rid of this payment plan anytime soon. Plus from a business standpoint no, they shouldn't.

Its a family vacation spot not a Louis Vuitton or Mercedes Benz. Taking your family to DLR is not a status symbol that is exempt from making itself affordable.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Yeah I'll say it again: I find it amusing how this discussion has basically turned into the financial advising of other guests.

Some of you are going on as if you think your opinion that if people can't afford to pay all at once then they don't deserve an AP matters lol. Bahaha. Disney is not interested in lowering attendance therefore I highly doubt that they'd even consider getting rid of this payment plan anytime soon. Plus from a business standpoint no, they shouldn't.

Its a family vacation spot not a Louis Vuitton or Mercedes Benz. Taking your family to DLR is not a status symbol that is exempt from making itself affordable.
    Last time I checked, Park hoppers for 4 days for my family was well north of $1k. That's not cheap... or even affordable for most middle class people more than once per year (unless i'm severely under middle class). Its a luxury plain and simple. I wish it was more affordable, but everything is a fortune these days. When I have to choose between park hoppers for DLR and a few months of groceries.. I'll eat.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Last time I checked, Park hoppers for 4 days for my family was well north of $1k. That's not cheap... or even affordable for most middle class people more than once per year (unless i'm severely under middle class). Its a luxury plain and simple. I wish it was more affordable, but everything is a fortune these days. When I have to choose between park hoppers for DLR and a few months of groceries.. I'll eat.
    Last I checked Disney had an AP payment plan to help with that

Since were financial planning here, I pretty sure you would save money buying everyone in your family an AP even if you all only stayed 4 days. Depending on the level, APs can practically pay for themselves within 5 days or so...

But alas I'm discussing APs being made more affordable not starving to go to Disney. So I'm not entirely sure how your post relates to mine.

I never said it wasn't a luxury, but it is just not an upper class only luxury and definitely not anything to take up an elitist attitude about.

No a family vacation is not a necessity, but this is Disney not some exotic excursion, you don't have to be rich to afford it and that isn't how it should be. I'm not going to try to break down what "class" of people are now able to afford it with the payment plan, there's a fine line between low and middle anyway.

There's plenty of ways a Disney vacation can be made more affordable and the payment plans on APs is just one.

Im also not saying Disney is affordable, not its still pricey, but I'm saying it is more affordable with this plan and I'm annoyed that people are suggesting that this is wrong.

If we think Disney should make itself less affordable to cut back on crowds well there's a myriad of ways to do that. But that's an odd thing for a theme park to aspire to in the first place.

Seems to me it made fiscal sense for Disneyland. You have a tourist destination that, unlike many others, has a dedicated local following. Make the APs as affordable as possible--allow for monthly payments for the locals--and then you see an influx in users and attendance. Then you can quickly raise prices until that equilibrium is found. In a very short amount of time you limit your "slow" time. If a retail company could make more months of the year like November and December, they would.

The best part is that by doing this, they can better reinvest in the park. The more they make, the more they can invest in the stuff we like--things to do.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    ...The best part is that by doing this, they can better reinvest in the park. The more they make, the more they can invest in the stuff we like--things to do.
    In theory, yes. In practice, no. The days of Disney plowing Disneyland's profits back into the park are decades past, as Tomorrowland and Frontierland demonstrate.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Keep the payment plan, AND allow for out of state people to use the same option as cali people.
    Tink happy thoughts!

•   
    • Minion

If you are blessed with the ability to pay hundreds or thousands up front for your AP(s), that's wonderful. However for many, life just doesn't work that way, and income just isn't high enough to do that. And IMHO to decide that a group should be excluded for the WAY they pay for their admission, so that they free up the park for other people to enjoy, just doesn't sit well with me. Disneyland isn't' a charity, but I doubt that it was intended to be a playground exclusively for the affluent and upper middle class.

Many of us pay for leisure/luxury/recreation in installments all the time. If you've ever put something on a credit card and haven't paid off your balance in full the first month it's due, you've done that. Most folks don't pay off their cable bill or their health club membership in one lump sum. If your kid is in dance or karate or art classes - again, all luxuries - you probably pay by semester. Would you prefer to save up for the year for cable or the health club, or would you prefer to use it now, and finance it out with monthly payments? Are you "undisciplined" or "lazy" because you pay your cable bill every month, or perhaps an installment for your new pool, your vacation or an expensive piece of jewelry (plenty of engagement rings are financed) or are you acting responsibly in budgeting that amount into your monthly expenditures?
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In theory, yes. In practice, no. The days of Disney plowing Disneyland's profits back into the park are decades past, as Tomorrowland and Frontierland demonstrate.
    Or Cars Land, yes?

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Wait, what's wrong with Frontierland? I know the issues with Tomorrowland, but the most I see about Frontierland, besides the BTMR work, is the land that is available for expansion. Unless that's the Frontierland issues you're alluding to.

Besides, it's not like there's been 0 work at the parks. DCA just got a huge, costly update, along with the Princess Fantasy Faire area.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast