Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

Ok, I'm sorry, Lost Boy, if that post came off as rough. I don't mean to single you or anyone out. However, the point still stands that a lot of people would consider a lot of us lucky to have even visited DL once. To feel deprived because we can't go numerous times (with the ability to pay less per month and in turn less per visit) is unfair.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The world is a different place today than the one I grew up in as a kid. Especially, in the category of credit. It used to be cash and carry. Put down the cash, and then carry it home.

Disney wants their money up front. Annual passes, dining plans, are a great example of that.

It would be nice if everyone walking through the gate was paying the same amount of money each day. How much profit would the Disney Company make if that were the case, and what would the cost of a ticket be? I guess we will never know the answer to that.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Um, wow bro, no need to jump down his throat. I didn't see anywhere where he said it was something he was entitled to or something that was his right to have. He just said that if Disney gets rid of the monthly payments, then some lower-income people such as those on Social Security won't be able to go. It's a nice thing that Disney does (which also does help them make more money) and he'd rather it not go away. You're entitled to disagree, but I think his point is that he would like you to see things from his point of view before you decide that Disney should get rid of monthly payments in order to make the parks less crowded.
    This.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Yes.
    That is how Disneyland was meant to be enjoyed. Once or twice a year.
    if that is how you, personally, enjoy the park, that's great. Why does anyone have the right to tell others how, when or how often they should enjoy Disneyland?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So then when a worker initiates “an immediate reduction in the quality of service” because they find out someone is a pass holder, it would be an appropriate time to complain to City Hall because they are “violating the rules, which includes behaving in an inappropriate manner or not following procedure” because the workers there are never supposed to reduce the quality of service under any circumstances.
    If you can prove that a CM reduced service to a level below trained standards and location operating procedures, then that's worthy of a complaint at City Hall. That wasn't what we were talking about however.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    if that is how you, personally, enjoy the park, that's great. Why does anyone have the right to tell others how, when or how often they should enjoy Disneyland?
    That was in response to my post, pointing out that people who can't afford APs do still have options to visit the parks. It's not about what one enjoys, as much as it's about what works into their budget.

As I pointed out previously, the huge backlash every time APs go up in price is pretty silly. You can get your DL fix without one.

• Foolish Mortal

This thread is getting out of control with others trying to tell others how to spend their money and enjoy their lives.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    this thread is getting out of control with others trying to tell others how to spend their money and enjoy their lives.
    ita.

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    That was in response to my post, pointing out that people who can't afford APs do still have options to visit the parks. It's not about what one enjoys, as much as it's about what works into their budget.

As I pointed out previously, the huge backlash every time APs go up in price is pretty silly. You can get your DL fix without one.
    It's been a recurring theme on this board, though, and not just from one poster: the conflict between those who feel Disney should only be a once in a year (or lifetime) destination and those who disagree. My stance is that it's up to everyone to decide how, when and how often they enjoy the park; if someone truly enjoys spending every weekend there, it's their choice. And it's not at all fair to ask Person A to get out of Disneyland so Person B has it to themselves.

There are ways to go to the park without an AP, obviously, but every time prices go up, it does knock out some people's ability to buy. Taking away the payment plan would do that even more so. Let's take an average parent and child. With the APs, that parent is able to budget Disneyland visits for the two of them at about $50/month if they're doing the Southern CA pass. Without the AP, that parent would be asked to cough up $200 at one time for one day in the park, and that is untenable for a lot of people.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-04-2013 at 04:26 PM.

• Minion

And it's not at all fair to ask Person A to get out of Disneyland so Person B has it to themselves.
    Nobody has suggested this...not even close.

The issue isn't about how someone should spend their money and time. It's about how Disneyland is being de-valued by packing their parks. The suggestion to get away from this, and make DL "fun" and personal again (something that benefits all visitors regardless of their ticket or payment plan) is to eliminate the monthly payment plan. That's a fair enough suggestion.

Now people can agree or disagree with this, but when the argument is that its not fair to eliminate the monthly payment plan, it rubs some people the wrong way--I can't speak for everyone but I was a poor kid, and I never thought I'd be lucky enough to go to DL. Now, I've had APs to WDW and DL and have been to both places several times, and I will never take that for granted. I worked hard to get to that point, and the first time I went to Disney...Magic Kingdom specifically, (when I thought it would be my first and only time) I worked hard and savored every minute of it. It was magical (sorry to be corny). Now, for me anyway, to hear people complaining about not being able to go several times a year, its honestly a bit offensive. I'll never forget when I worked my *** off for one trip to a Disney park.

I don't want to tell people how to live their lives...I want Disneyland to be appreciated and go back to being a destination people didn't take for granted.

• Rock Star Minion

The people who ran Disneyland in the olden days used to do it that way.

Everyone has a right to say pretty much whatever they want. Feel free to disagree with what I say, as long as you defend with your life my right to say it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

The people who ran Disneyland in the olden days used to do it that way.

Everyone has a right to say pretty much whatever they want. Feel free to disagree with what I say, as long as you defend with your life my right to say it.
    Considering that Disneyland used to have shopping passes and people have posted about going to the park just to relax and people watch in the days of the ticket book system, I'm not so sure about that.

You're absolutely right, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and I'm not suggesting anyone's opinion on this should be censored. The point is that it IS an opinion, though - if you enjoy the park one way that is fine; it doesn't mean someone else will or should enjoy it the same way, or that their way is wrong.

• Rock Star Minion

Taking away the payment plan would do that even more so. Let's take an average parent and child. With the APs, that parent is able to budget Disneyland visits for the two of them at about $50/month if they're doing the Southern CA pass. Without the AP, that parent would be asked to cough up $200 at one time for one day in the park, and that is untenable for a lot of people.
    Or, the parent and child go once and save $500 by not buying two APs.

And, without the AP Program, the cost of entering the park would drop in the off-season that would be recreated, while the cost of entering the park in the onseason might rise a bit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Considering that Disneyland used to have shopping passes and people have posted about going to the park just to relax and people watch in the days of the ticket book system, I'm not so sure about that.

You're absolutely right, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and I'm not suggesting anyone's opinion on this should be censored. The point is that it IS an opinion, though - if you enjoy the park one way that is fine; it doesn't mean someone else will or should enjoy it the same way, or that their way is wrong.
    I never said it was wrong. It's just how the park was run for about 35 years, before the huge demographic shift from once-in-a-lifetimes to local-returnees occurred.
    That is where my "the way it was meant to be enjoyed" sentiment (yes, an opinion, too) came from.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Nobody has suggested this...not even close.

The issue isn't about how someone should spend their money and time. It's about how Disneyland is being de-valued by packing their parks. The suggestion to get away from this, and make DL "fun" and personal again (something that benefits all visitors regardless of their ticket or payment plan) is to eliminate the monthly payment plan. That's a fair enough suggestion.

Now people can agree or disagree with this, but when the argument is that its not fair to eliminate the monthly payment plan, it rubs some people the wrong way--I can't speak for everyone but I was a poor kid, and I never thought I'd be lucky enough to go to DL. Now, I've had APs to WDW and DL and have been to both places several times, and I will never take that for granted. I worked hard to get to that point, and the first time I went to Disney...Magic Kingdom specifically, (when I thought it would be my first and only time) I worked hard and savored every minute of it. It was magical (sorry to be corny). Now, for me anyway, to hear people complaining about not being able to go several times a year, its honestly a bit offensive. I'll never forget when I worked my *** off for one trip to a Disney park.

I don't want to tell people how to live their lives...I want Disneyland to be appreciated and go back to being a destination people didn't take for granted.
    Isn't that exactly what is being said, though? If you're (and I'm using "you" in a general sense here; not you specifically) saying "cut down on APs and payment plans because the parks are crowded and I don't like it," you're essentially saying "cut down on those things so people will be priced out, we can get rid of them, and then I will have the park to myself." It's not going to make the park more "fun" if visitors are priced out.

Nobody likes a crowded park. Not APs, not day guests. There are a lot of other ways to alleviate crowding, such as reducing overall capacity, building more rides and other attractions, building a third gate, et al. None of those would necessitate pricing out guests. Or you could look at the crowd tracker and try to time your visit to a month when the crowds aren't as heavy. It's not at Christmas-level crowds all year round. There are plenty of days where the park is at a 1 or 2 and the rides are walk-ons. I experienced one such day myself, last week.

I was a poor kid, too. Vacations were treats and we couldn't afford them every year. As an adult, I've worked hard for my AP. I don't take it for granted. I certainly don't take my time in the park for granted. I consider myself very lucky to be able to do it. Some years when it's been lean, Disneyland has been the one diversion I've bought for myself. Even now, I don't do movie tickets, I don't have cable, I don't buy a lot of fancy clothes - I prefer to spend that toward my pass.

And proximity and access are all relative to how someone enjoys something, and how much access they expect. If you live near the Pacific and you go surfing every day, it's part of your routine or something you expect to have access to. If you're from Montana, you've never seen an ocean and you only get there once, it's a lifetime experience. Neither person is wrong in their assessment. It's just colored by their own perspective, proximity and experiences.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-04-2013 at 07:47 PM.

•   
    • Minion

Or, the parent and child go once and save $500 by not buying two APs.

And, without the AP Program, the cost of entering the park would drop in the off-season that would be recreated, while the cost of entering the park in the onseason might rise a bit.
    I can't ever conceive of Disney dropping prices. Everyone who is against APs keeps saying this will happen...I seriously doubt it. In fact, with less APs, Disney would likely have to raise prices to make up for the loss of income.

The fact is that $500 spread over a year, for repeated access to the parks, is far more palatable, and a better value for the money, than $200 for one day.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast