Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

Well, not the official, listed price.

In the olden days, I'd be able to get 50% off the ticket price, for certain days. Kaiser used to have tickets good for a day during a specific week (September).
    I recall my college's student center selling tickets during the January break for 50% off.

That is how you sell off-season tickets at lower prices.

I agree that DL is not worth $100/person/day. I might never go again, since my relative got laid off in Burbank.
    So, raising the prices won't make up for it.

I'd pay $60 max, on a lightly-attended day. And, no, I'm not buying an AP so I can go more than 10 times at less than $60/day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

No because....

I don't believe the for profit Walt Disney Company owes me an off season as nice as they used to be.
    I don't think any one way or frequency of visiting DL is right or wrong.
    I don't think disney should be in the business of teaching financial responsibility to grown adults.
    I don't think there is a chronic crowd "problem" at all especially compared to other parks around the world.
    I don't believe payment people deserve to be the ones cut any more or less than those who pay upfront.

And finally no because DL has become a heavily locals park. The once in a lifetime dream of DL died with WDW. Sure the focus has been shifting a bit and more are coming, but the tourists will still always be in the minority as long as WDW continues to exist.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Selfie Expert

I still can't see how saving up for a year - putting away the monthly installments - is any different than paying the monthly installments. You give up ONE YEAR at Disneyland, and save up the amount needed to purchase an AP up front. Continue budgeting the monthly installment, and barring price increases, you'll have budgeted for continued renewal.

Someone mentioned that they can't just "put money aside" in case there's an emergency - how is that any different than spending the money monthly, which you have signed a contract to do? The only difference is you pre-spent the money in the AP contract, versus maybe delaying the purchase of an AP and using the money set aside to pay for the actual necessity rather than having it already spent on a luxury. Sounds like a reasonable, feasible, absolutely 100% possible way to obtain an AP if the payment plan is taken away. The only thing you're giving up is one year of access to DL, and having tied up the money for a year after purchasing the AP (which is actually a benefit).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I still can't see how saving up for a year - putting away the monthly installments - is any different than paying the monthly installments. You give up ONE YEAR at Disneyland, and save up the amount needed to purchase an AP up front. Continue budgeting the monthly installment, and barring price increases, you'll have budgeted for continued renewal.

Someone mentioned that they can't just "put money aside" in case there's an emergency - how is that any different than spending the money monthly, which you have signed a contract to do? The only difference is you pre-spent the money in the AP contract, versus maybe delaying the purchase of an AP and using the money set aside to pay for the actual necessity rather than having it already spent on a luxury. Sounds like a reasonable, feasible, absolutely 100% possible way to obtain an AP if the payment plan is taken away. The only thing you're giving up is one year of access to DL, and having tied up the money for a year after purchasing the AP (which is actually a benefit).
    Exactly. Getting rid of Disney's monthly payment plan would not affect anyone's ability to buy an AP, assuming of course that they could afford Disney's monthly payments in the first place.

It would only affect their ability to buy an AP today.

Now, if someone says "I don't want to wait a year and put aside x amount every month, I want it now," that's a perfectly valid argument. But it is very different from claiming that one can't afford to buy an AP without Disney's monthly payment plan. Be it Disney's monthly payment plan or the customer's own monthly payment plan, if the customer can afford one, they can afford the other.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    No. If an individual or family finds it easier to enjoy the parks with an interest free monthly payment rather than a large chunk up front, I'm all for it.
    Agreed

its the best value. Especially for a family or anyone who takes care of their finances.
    there is nothing wrong with offering an INTEREST FREE monthly payment.
    My wife and I have taken advantage of it and we are fiscally responsible people who know a great deal when we see it. We could have paid it in a lump sum, but chose not to.

• Seeker of Fun

Crowds would drop if people paid a per use admission fee. Even with the higher AP costs over the last few years, it's still nickels for what you get. If you had to pay a single day ticket cost, or at most a hopper price..there would certainly be less people in Disneyland. Passes create the ability to come over and over at a fraction of the price. I guarantee that folks would not be dropping into the park for dinner and a show after work if they paid a true cost without that almighty AP.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Disneyland is a locals park, and the AP Program is geared so that people can pop in for just a few hours.

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Disneyland is a locals park, and the AP Program is geared so that people can pop in for just a few hours.
    And spend more $

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Agreed, but the problem is there are way too many locals. I vote for one AP only, the premium, with no monthly payments.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    Agreed, but the problem is there are way too many locals. I vote for one AP only, the premium, with no monthly payments.
    With due respect to you, I do not think what you suggest would achieve any desirable effect. The only thing that would do is exclude more people and may a lot less money for Disney, which I don't think they would like.

I also vote for less APs as well, but definitely do not keep the premium, instead the keep so cal regular and the deluxe with those same blackouts, and definitely include monthly payments. Disney gets much closer to the same amount of revenue and the bulk of visitors aren't completely put out, they just need to factor in timing a little bit versus not at all.

The way you suggest wouldn't solve the locals problem, it might make it worse if all the sudden tons of really close locals decided "oh well, only the premium, still a damn good deal, I'll get it", then you have nothing but a population of people that can literally come anytime for any reason and Disneyland has no clue when that would be. The way I suggest would put in place some limitations (and some genuine crowd control) without leaving a horrible taste in the visitors mouth.

Disneyland needs some breathing room. A few will debate this point but most would agree. Offering a pass that allows unfettered access means that Disneyland will never be able to get a handle on the real problem, which isn't just too many bodies, it's the inability to gauge when those bodies are coming.

• Hooterville, USA

No.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Disney Philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
    With due respect to you, I do not think what you suggest would achieve any desirable effect. The only thing that would do is exclude more people and may a lot less money for Disney, which I don't think they would like.

I also vote for less APs as well, but definitely do not keep the premium, instead the keep so cal regular and the deluxe with those same blackouts, and definitely include monthly payments. Disney gets much closer to the same amount of revenue and the bulk of visitors aren't completely put out, they just need to factor in timing a little bit versus not at all.

The way you suggest wouldn't solve the locals problem, it might make it worse if all the sudden tons of really close locals decided "oh well, only the premium, still a damn good deal, I'll get it", then you have nothing but a population of people that can literally come anytime for any reason and Disneyland has no clue when that would be. The way I suggest would put in place some limitations (and some genuine crowd control) without leaving a horrible taste in the visitors mouth.

Disneyland needs some breathing room. A few will debate this point but most would agree. Offering a pass that allows unfettered access means that Disneyland will never be able to get a handle on the real problem, which isn't just too many bodies, it's the inability to gauge when those bodies are coming.
    The real question that hasn't been asked: Did Walt create DL for the locals, ie. SoCal or did he create it for the faraway visitors. I thinnk he had the SoCal area in mind primarily and if other visitors wanted it come and see then great. Remember this was 1955 and people didn't travel quite as much.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The real question that hasn't been asked: Did Walt create DL for the locals, ie. SoCal or did he create it for the faraway visitors. I thinnk he had the SoCal area in mind primarily and if other visitors wanted it come and see then great. Remember this was 1955 and people didn't travel quite as much.
    May have been his thinking when he first built Disneyland but I can give you 47,000 acres worth of evidence to suggest he regretted that decision
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• And Dad was my hero.

"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

- Walt Disney, July 17, 1955

I don't know, I think he had more than just the So. Cal audience in mind. Just a hunch.

IMHO, the problem is that the resort is not big enough to handle all the people that can afford to go there, in the classic Disney style. Yeah, you can just jam em all in there and let them duke it out, but some of us don't care to participate under those conditions.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast