Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

If Disney got rid of monthly payments, would it lower the crowds?
    Personally, I feel Disney started getting more crowded when the monthly payments started.

I think they should either remove it completely or only offer it on the Deluxe and Premium passes.

Re: Should Disney get rid of monthly payments?

If Disney got rid of monthly payments, it certainly would lower overall attendance. However, I personally don't believe that Disney should do away with their current system. I am fortunate enough that my family of four was able to pay for our Deluxe passes without having to do the monthly payments, but I know that this isn't a feasible option for many people. As the prices for APs go up, I think less people will feel inclined to renew. Most people seem to feel that this is Disney's current strategy to deal with the crowd situation. In my opinion, it is a sad situation all around. I really hope we see some higher capacity rides in the Tomorrowland redo!

Quote Originally Posted by swaggerjagger View Post
    I think they should either remove it completely or only offer it on the Deluxe and Premium passes.
    While I don't think that they should get rid of it completely, I wouldn't be too upset if they only offered it on Deluxe and Premium passes. It kind of makes sense... although I would feel terrible for the people who depend on it.
    Last edited by DisneyWorld; 10-02-2013 at 02:01 AM.

• the rockawho?

disney is a business and needs to make a profit...

by offering monthly payments, it offers it to a wider range of people to attend the park which means more money for the corporation....

• Minion

If they raised annual pass prices to $10 million and a one day ticket to $100,000 that would also lower crowds.

Disney likes a crowded park, more people = more food/merchandise sales

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    If they raised annual pass prices to $10 million and a one day ticket to $100,000 that would also lower crowds.

Disney also likes satisfied customers. As far as I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, the parks are run based on a system designed to allow visitors to ride a specific number of rides in a day, thus keeping thy consumer happy. Heck, Disney could probably lower their price, have the park hit capacity daily, and make even more money! Over time, people would become fed up with the crowds and in return it would hurt Disney's brand and reputation. They want crowds, but they want them to be manageable. I think the word I'm looking for is "value", or maybe even words... "perceived value". Basically, they want their customers to feel they are getting their money's worth.

• -

They should not only remove the payment option, but also get rid of the bargain basement passes keeping only premium and above. The crowds were much more manageable when there was only one level of pass.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disneyland Dreamer

Not that I'm recommending people go into revolving consumer debt for a Disney vacation, but I agree. Can't pay cash, finance it on your own dime. Based on the time value of $, Disney is selling payment plan APs at a lower cost than a cash purchase would net them unless they are tacking on a payment fee (I concede I have no idea on how the payment plans are structured).

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWorld View Post
    Disney also likes satisfied customers. As far as I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, the parks are run based on a system designed to allow visitors to ride a specific number of rides in a day, thus keeping thy consumer happy. Heck, Disney could probably lower their price, have the park hit capacity daily, and make even more money! Over time, people would become fed up with the crowds and in return it would hurt Disney's brand and reputation. They want crowds, but they want them to be manageable. I think the word I'm looking for is "value", or maybe even words... "perceived value". Basically, they want their customers to feel they are getting their money's worth.
    if disney wanted to reduce crowds, they would raise prices (which they have been doing btw) rather than take away monthly payments. and fyi, their stated goals was to have a parkgoer hit 11 rides in a day at disneyland, which if you think about it is an extremely easy target to hit even on busy days. thus they arent worried at all that their crowds are too high and "perceived value" is too low, except for those bonker days where there's some special event like the 24 hr day or the halloween event.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

If Disney were interested in lowering the Park's attendance, they could do it in a myriad of ways; but I don't see any evidence of this being the case. Some, I believe, misinterpreted the recent AP "price hike" as an active interest on Disney's part to manage crowd control. But, in my opinion, it doesn't stand to reason. It is my belief that if there happened to be any effect on attendance numbers by the raising of AP prices (which I doubt), it was purely coincidental.

Factor in the many different tiers of APs offered; and add to that, a policy making APs more comfortably affordable via payment plans, and this leads me to conclude that Disney has no intention or desire to "cull the herd". And, from a bottom-line perspective, why should they?

Let's face it, Disney fans and Park-goers have a long-standing history of eagerly paying what Disney demands. Their policies are tailored to fit demand. If we don't like the fit, but still buy the stuff anyway, who's to blame?

• Here Comes Trouble

I remember Al reporting the year monthly payments were introduced that AP's went from 200k to 800k in less than 6 months and it tipped 1 millon before the end of that year. My family and I all dropped our passes because of the increase of crowds and no more "off-season". I know we weren't the only ones either. I personally don't think a Disney AP is something that should be financed like a car or home, but I REALLY think the lower passes with $7/mo payments shouldn't be financed at all. If someone doesn't have the discipline to save or money to pay up front (especially at $7/mo), maybe the AP is something you really don't need.

My answer to the question of this thread, YES.
    It may have zippity to do with doo-dah

No. If they did that, they would be forced to lower the prices of passes to generate demand. The price of passes are simply too high to have people to pay price in full.
    if ye be brave or fool enough to face a pirate's curse, proceed.

They need to do more than dropping monthly payments.

They either need to eliminate the AP program completely, or significantly increase the price of APs and drop the price of daily admission.

Or, replace with AP program with a block of tickets. Instead of getting a deluxe pass, for that price one should get 10 parkhoppers with a one year expiration.

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post

Disney wants tourists, not people. That's what WDW brings in most. On the West Coast, there's a loyality factor when people come to Disneyland. That's very frustrating to execs.
    To answer the original question, I'd keep the payment system.

• Former Churro Jockey

It's pretty hard for any business to take away something once they've introduced it and people have gotten used to it. So if Disney did get rid of the monthly payments, they'd have to be prepared to deal with a pretty large number of upset people. However, I could see them doing that and then offering a Disney Visa card with no interest on the charge for your annual pass. That maybe would help, and Disney would possibly make a lot more money because most companies make bucket loads of money on their credit cards (which is why absolutely everyone offers them now).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    It's pretty hard for any business to take away something once they've introduced it and people have gotten used to it. So if Disney did get rid of the monthly payments, they'd have to be prepared to deal with a pretty large number of upset people. However, I could see them doing that and then offering a Disney Visa card with no interest on the charge for your annual pass. That maybe would help, and Disney would possibly make a lot more money because most companies make bucket loads of money on their credit cards (which is why absolutely everyone offers them now).
    Look at C33 membership when they moved up to Platinum and tried to kill the old-golds. Sure, a few dropped their memberships, but their slots were quickly gobbled up by people willing to pay WAYYYY more $.

Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast