• Disney Obsessed

Red Face Cost of Disneyland Hotel.. expected increases?

I am planning a trip for my dad's 65 birthday (in 4 years) - My dad and I ALWAYS talked about winning the lottery and being able to stay at the DLH. My parents don't have a lot of money and my younger sister just had a baby, so it would be entirely up to my husband and I to finance this surprise trip for my dad, mom, sister and nephew. so I am trying to estimate what it would cost for us to go and approximately how much I'm going to need to save from each pay check from now till then...

Since this trip is literally 4 years away (oct 4th is his birthday) how much can I expect the DLH rates to go up between now and then? I've never paid attention to the cost of the on property hotels because they've never been in my budget. Right now for 5 adults and 1 toddler the grand total cost is $5193 for October of next year.. including tickets (paradise pier is only $100 cheaper! Crazy town!) - and how much do you think tickets will go up over the next 4 years?

I know I know these are questions that can't really be answered because its all guesstimates... but I'm THINKING about $7k total 4 years from now for the same trip based on what I have seen on prices increases? What do you guys think? Any input? I've never planned a trip like this - this far in advance or this freaking expensive (we usually stay someplace DIRT cheap- like $40 a night!) So ANY tips, help planning etc would be SO welcomed...

Re: Cost of Disneyland Hotel.. expected increases?

$7K probably isn't a bad estimate. Disney will continue to keep prices up and increase them (just as they do with AP's) as long as people are willing to book rooms...which doesn't seem to be a problem at this point. Good luck, will be a great 65th birthday.

He can at least get a senior rate if he puts the rooms in his name. I can't remember how much it is, though. But my dad did this for our trip last year.

• Chief Troublemaker

What a wonderful surprise for your family!

You may want to monitor Disney/AAA/Costco/whatever vacation planning sources you may use for yearly cost increases. IIRC Disney posts it's prices for hotels/packages around July-ish (because I can't remember exactly-LOL) of each year (rates for 2014 posted in July-ish 2013). Go ahead, set your budget, & start saving, but check around then for that years cost increase, then readjust as needed.

For BFF & I ('off season', 4 nites onsite + 5 dy hopper) the difference was only around $100 each between what we paid in 2013 and our next visit in 2014.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Former Churro Jockey

I work in the travel industry so I can answer this question. Hotel rates (like everything else) fluctuate based on how busy they expect the hotel to be and also how full the hotel already is when you make the reservation. You can book a hotel room 331 days in advance on most reservation systems (you might be able to book it even earlier but you'd have to call Disney directly). Whatever day you want to go, Disney is going to guess at what percentage full the hotel will be and price it accordingly. So if they think the hotel is going to sell out, it will probably start out pretty high (maybe $200 - $300 per night). As the hotel starts to fill up, the price goes up. However, there are certain dates where if the hotel isn't filling up as fast as they want it to that they will introduce lower fares. Unfortunately there is no way to know when that will be. So the price will probably start out kind of high, possibly go down, and then go up again. It may go down once or twice before your travel dates. I can tell you that it is very unlikely that it will go down once you are less than 90 days prior to departure, so I would make sure to book it before then. If you can, book it 331 days prior to your check-out date, make sure you book a fully refundable rate, and then check it every day to see if it went down. You can adjust it to the lower rate, but you have to catch it. Disney will not notify you if prices go down.

Now, at times, Disney may have a "sale" on the hotel where they have some kind of special promotion (So Cal residents, annual passholders, etc.). The sale may state that it is for new bookings only, so if you've already booked and one of those sales come out, then unfortunately you are out of luck. So it is always a gamble, but in my experience with Disney, booking early and keeping an eye on the rate will get you the lowest price more often then not.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disney Obsessed

Oh thank you! you guys are very helpful! I HOPE this will be an awesome surprise! He has had a rough 60th year and I really want to make his 65th special and with a young grandson in the picture I KNOW he'll be excited to take him everywhere HOPEFULLY (fingers crossed for me and hubby) we'll have another grand kid to bring along by then too...

If I plan on the 7k then I should have most of the money by the 331 day so I should be able to fully book it. I am very excited- I am spontaneous though and HATE planning, especially this far in advance but MAN it's expensive to make dreams! haha Thank you! Any other tips and advice will be more than welcome!

• Former Churro Jockey

You're welcome! You won't need to have all the money when you make the initial reservation. Disney only takes a deposit of the 1st nights stay.

By the way, if you end up doing a package with hotel and tickets then that is totally different. I haven't found in my experience that a package actually saves you any money however (especially not the dining plan). Packages probably won't be available 331 days prior, but you should be able to book a hotel room and then convert it to a package later on if you discover that a package is going to save you money.

Also, depending on when you go you might find that rates are different each night you stay. For example, you might find the Grand Californian for $275/nt for the first two nights, and then $450/nt for the next two nights. So be sure to explore staying at one hotel for part of the time and staying at a different hotel for part of the time.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html