Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insignt Into Disney Social Clubs: The Hitchhikers

We had a discussion about it about a month ago and many of you wanted some more insight into the social clubs that have been popping up at the parks recently.

I did my first article on The Hitchhikers and interviewed their founder. Check it out and we will be publishing one on The Main Street Elite soon.

Insignt Into Disneyland Social Clubs: The Hitchhikers
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

• Master of Disaster

Re: Insignt Into Disney Social Clubs: The Hitchhikers

This is the modern version of "EVERYONE WEAR NEON SO WE KNOW WHERE OUR GROUP IS!"

Feels like High School all over again. We didn't click (or is it clique) with certain people so we chose not to invite them. These clubs feel like they have or are beginning to have an elitist air about them. Not my cup of tea but hope others have fun with it.

• Foolish Mortal

Nice write up and insight.

I do find the MC style cuts unoriginal at this point.
    Last edited by moregumboplease; 10-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.

• Master of Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Nice write up and insight.

I do find the MC style cuts unoriginal at this point.
    Couldn't agree more. I mean I like Sons of Anarchy and all but not enough to come up with a reason to wear a cut.

• Disney Philosopher

First off...good article. Looking forward to the next.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Part of me just wants to stare at them, point my finger and break out laughing at the ridiculousness of grown adults acting like their 10 years old.

Another part of me, says to each their own.

And the final part of me says, it's cool.
    "These are a few of my favorite things"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain View Post
    First off...good article. Looking forward to the next.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Part of me just wants to stare at them, point my finger and break out laughing at the ridiculousness of grown adults acting like their 10 years old.

Another part of me, says to each their own.

And the final part of me says, it's cool.
    I'm kinda in the same boat (minus the last part). Could never see myself wanting to be a part of these groups but agree, to each their own. As long as they enjoy it, good for them. Just don't become elitist jerks...someone on another thread said they tried to talk to a person in one of the clubs and they rudely shoo'd her away.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat (minus the last part). Could never see myself wanting to be a part of these groups but agree, to each their own. As long as they enjoy it, good for them. Just don't become elitist jerks...someone on another thread said they tried to talk to a person in one of the clubs and they rudely shoo'd her away.
    I actually don't mind the dressing up and acting "like kids" thing. We all go to Disneyland because it makes us feel like a kid again.

I believe if you are going to wear your brand for everyone to see, you should be ok with being approached for questions.
    10 year AP holder for Disneyland and finally just upgraded to the Premium pass!

Disney Infinity Power Discs for sale/trade.

Started the blog Disney Geekery. Hope you all check it out

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Feels like High School all over again. We didn't click (or is it clique) with certain people so we chose not to invite them. These clubs feel like they have or are beginning to have an elitist air about them. Not my cup of tea but hope others have fun with it.
    That's the only thing about the social clubs that bothers me...you have to be "invited" to join. It's Disneyland, not a fraternity.
    Whatever happened to just having friends with the same interests?
    Disneyland AP & go as often as I can! DL Paris March 2002 WDW Dec. 2007 & Jan. 2013 Tokyo DL & Sea April 2009
    To Do: DCL Alaska 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland, you're next; Shanghai Disney, see you in 2016!
    GROUNDHOG DAY: WDW and DLR in the same day: 2/2/13
    My Stay in the Disneyland Dream Suite

My two cents...

Do what you do, if that's what you do, and as long it doesn't bother anyone else.

Not sure if this is a new thing, but I have started seeing these groups around.

My concern is if it gets out of hand, and they start acting like real street gangs. Many of them started out as "social clubs".

Probably won't happen, and I'm probably making nonsense, but just wanted to put that out there.

Again, as long as they don't cause trouble in the parks, enjoy all you want.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    ...My concern is if it gets out of hand, and they start acting like real street gangs...
    If that happens, Disney will promote a special "It's a Small World of Social Clubs" event: all the dolls in Small World dressed in biker garb, chopper exhibit in Carsland, Mickey balloons with tats, Princess Fantasy Faire made over as Piercing Fantasy Faire. Tickets only $49 extra.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

Nice piece. Confirms more or less what I though of the SCs. Not remotely something I'm up for, but more power to 'em.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

this gave me a good laugh
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Mrs. J. Depp

It seems cool in the way that belonging to any team or participating in any type of event is. Reminds me of like the Pink Ladies or the T-Birds. But the exclusivity is the part that kills me. I was never considered a popular person in school and was always sort of on the outside looking in (even in college!). Which only bothered me because I think that I'm an absolute delight and that why wouldn't people want to hang out with me? (I say this in the most humble way possible). As you learn though, those "cliques", those people that "choose" who gets to be in their social ranking are not exactly the people you end up wanting to be around.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by pinksand View Post
    That's the only thing about the social clubs that bothers me...you have to be "invited" to join. It's Disneyland, not a fraternity.
    Whatever happened to just having friends with the same interests?
    I have to say I don't quite get this criticism. If they just let anyone be a member instead of having it by invite, say by filling out a form on a website, then it wouldn't really be a social club, would it? People in the club wouldn't even know each other and might not ever even see each other. They would basically just be selling a patch or logo. Plus, they would run the risk of having people join who behave improperly or rudely at the park and reflect poorly on the club.

The whole join a group and wear their colors has never been my kind of thing, even before I was way too old to participate in these kinds of shenanigans. But, more power to 'em. Just a different way for people to enjoy the parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast