Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Idea: You're CEO and $1.5 billion is allocated to the parks.. Where do you spend

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Honestly, the map I put up on page 3 is a pretty solid starting point, as it includes most of the land that we know Disney owns in the area. It doesn't include a marking for the convention center land, but realistically we're not going to see any parks-related building going on in that area.

Beyond that, it's purely speculation as to what other land Disney owns, due to a lack of information out there. I think we can get away with saying that Disney owns the land up to the corner of Katella and Harbor where both DCA and the Toy Story Lot are, but that one is probably tied up into a long-term lease. Same can be said for some of the motels along Harbor, as some of that land may be Disney-owned, but again in a long-term lease. GardenWalk itself was for sale, but Disney decided not to buy the land, and now a new ownership group owns the vital stretch of land between the Pumbaa and Toy Story lots.

That's about all I was able to look up beyond trying to get a FOIA approval on finding out what lands Disney owns in the area, but I don't have the credentials to even attempt that.
    The Conventional Wisdom is that the TOY STORY PARK will become the third gate.

Unless someone comes up with a radical proposal, that's the largest chunk of land in the kingdom. But it's also the farthest away.

Enter the Anaheim Trolley. Add Disney's legacy of Monorails and People Movers.

But what makes the most sense?

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: Idea: You're CEO and $1.5 billion is allocated to the parks.. Where do you spend

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

Unless someone comes up with a radical proposal, that's the largest chunk of land in the kingdom. But it's also the farthest away.

Enter the Anaheim Trolley. Add Disney's legacy of Monorails and People Movers.

But what makes the most sense?
    Anaheim trolley makes the most sense in providing transportation, but I don't see it getting widespread use. Maybe more for locals than tourists.

Monorail I could see working as a transportation system, but I think it'd be too unwieldy for practical uses. The line would have to be extended out and made into a true transportation system, which would probably necessitate the removal of the monorail station inside Tomorrowland. It's possible, but not something I see conceivably happening.

The People Mover, and in this same way elevated trams, probably makes the most sense and would be the most practical solution. There would have to be accommodations made to better handle handicapped guests, such as a possible separate loading area, but it'd be able to provide the best way to get a large amount of people from one park to another as quickly as possible.

As for other optional areas, really the only other optional possibilities are buying up the land along Harbor north of Disney Way and turning that plus the Pumbaa and unsused lots into a smaller park, but that would only be an idea for a 4th park.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I sure do hope PARK is short for parking lot.......a whole theme park based on Toy Story would make me a sad panda
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I sure do hope PARK is short for parking lot.......a whole theme park based on Toy Story would make me a sad panda
    Yes, don't get any ideas, Mickey, no Toy Story Land in Anaheim, please!!!

All that said, there are some ideas here that I really, really like. Opening up a Fantasyland expansion where the Fantasyland Theater currently sits would be a great plan down the road, and a new offshooting road between Main Street and Tomorrowland could have a bunch of different ideas behind it. I'd probably go for more of a Jules Verne-inspired look to it, and call it Discovery Lane, and place a dark ride or two in there. As for the Big Thunder Ranch area, as much as a Discovery Bay idea gets me excited, I really feel at this point that Frontierland is lacking in attractions, so I'd probably use that area for a Frontierland expansion. Maybe be 1950s San Francisco, when it was becoming the gateway to the world or something.

I love this idea. I had mentioned in a thread a while back how I wish they would get rid of the Fantasyland Theatre and use up all that space, along with the Big Thunder Ranch (together it's a rather larger area) to bring in something new and exciting.

Name:  my idea.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  126.0 KB

They could add another ride for Frontierland, as you've suggested, something new for Fantasyland, and/or find another creative use for all this space. Let the Imagineers come up with something (preferably original). Personally, because they're favorites of mine, I'd love to see a Sleepy Hollow dark ride, bring back Captain Hook's pirate ship restaurant (improved of course) along with Skull Rock, or a Pecos Bill attraction to fit in with the Frontierland theme.

Maybe be 1950s San Francisco, when it was becoming the gateway to the world or something.
    Did you mean 1850s?
    I'd love for anything San Francisco in the parks, but of course I'm super biased.

Quote Originally Posted by willdoo View Post
    First off close tomorrow land except for small path to space mountain. Level the rest. Star Tours goes to an eventual 3rd park. Buzz goes where the fantasy land autopia used to be. With an interactive queue outside and a new show building themed to look like a NASA facility. A meet and greet area for buzz. But with new landscaping and walkways to block it from site lines In fantasyland.
    Sorry but the subs, autopia, innoventions all go.
    Tomorrow land terrace remains fairly unchanged and provides the architectural theme for the new buildings.
    Themed to a mid century worlds fair feeling like the original
    With all white buildings, floating platforms, bubble windows, curved and ro unded edges.
    Futuristic in a real retro sense but still somehow timless.
    Wide walkways and exotic plant filled plazas add to the atmosphere. Escelators and elevated walkways add kinetics
    Magic eye theater would become Professor VonDrakes science academy an all new "beyond d" experience.
    Combining classic characters, new digital technology, landscape mapping
    , and a new seating design with an environmental message comedy and a great new music theme

Next up would be the return of Inner space combining dark ride and roller coaster technology with state of the art effects.

Where the current subs are would be a new undersea voyage with startours like vehicles.
    The queue would make it appear like you were going underwater in an elevator like HM
    The ride would be exciting with a climax that. Includes a squid attack, water rushing into cabin and a fast ascent to the surface.

Take the autopia cars and auction them off for charity.

Redwood creek would become Ranger Woodlores driving academy, like autopia but with mine train like scenery and chip and dale and Humphrey.
    Rebuild the PM with 4 stops TL, CA, Disneyland hotel and parking garage
    Give goofy his own theatre and show at btr.

Re theme tom sawyers island to Tom and release a new Tom and Huck movie
    turn the monster part of Hollywood land into the great Muppet movie ride. Great movies populated by Muppet.
    Really diggin' your ideas willdoo. A retro-futuristic Tomorrowland would be fantastic, esepcially in the aesthetic you described, very Jetsons style.
    Also like your idea of bringing Chip 'n Dale into the mix, I feel they're under-represented in the park. And I the Muppet ride sounds awesome, I'm all for it.

A couple? Are you kidding? I'm funding him $3 billion.
    Good man, CA.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Did you mean 1850s?
    I hope so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I associate the 1950's and early 60's with the demolition of Victorians and their replacement with nothing of architectural interest.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I love this idea. I had mentioned in a thread a while back how I wish they would get rid of the Fantasyland Theatre and use up all that space, along with the Big Thunder Ranch (together it's a rather larger area) to bring in something new and exciting.

Name:  my idea.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  126.0 KB
    You know that saying "think outside the box"?

Take a look at ToonTown and the show buildings for Small World, Pirates, Mansion and Indiana Jones.

Think outside the berm. Many backstage facilities can be moved or rebuilt.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Oh, and its so seamless I forgot: Critter Country is below and outside the railroad tracks.

• Not the Hawkguy

I hope so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I associate the 1950's and early 60's with the demolition of Victorians and their replacement with nothing of architectural interest.
    You'd think as a history major I'd be a lot better about messing up dates, but yeah I meant 1850s.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

OK we'll put this matter behind us, consider it forgotten, it's history!

• Not the Hawkguy

So I was thinking about possible other projects at Disneyland that I could Blue Sky, and my thoughts turned towards Big Thunder Ranch and the RoA. My problem is, as great as Tom Sawyer Island is, it takes up a huge footprint for minimal customer usage (I assume it doesn't get the same foot traffic as an Autopia, which takes up almost roughly the same footprint, and it closes early, so isn't open all the time).

My idea is that you could reclaim part of that land near Big Thunder Ranch for a future Frontierland expansion (or even Discovery Bay), cutting the RoA in size by taking out part of the northern half of the island. The problems I'm running into include: having to drain the RoA to accomplish the large-scale movement of land and dirt across the river, the cost of doing this, and whether the Mark Twain/Columbia can handle the inherently-tighter turn at the north end that will be the end result.

Thoughts on this?

So I was thinking about possible other projects at Disneyland that I could Blue Sky, and my thoughts turned towards Big Thunder Ranch and the RoA. My problem is, as great as Tom Sawyer Island is, it takes up a huge footprint for minimal customer usage (I assume it doesn't get the same foot traffic as an Autopia, which takes up almost roughly the same footprint, and it closes early, so isn't open all the time).

My idea is that you could reclaim part of that land near Big Thunder Ranch for a future Frontierland expansion (or even Discovery Bay), cutting the RoA in size by taking out part of the northern half of the island. The problems I'm running into include: having to drain the RoA to accomplish the large-scale movement of land and dirt across the river, the cost of doing this, and whether the Mark Twain/Columbia can handle the inherently-tighter turn at the north end that will be the end result.

Thoughts on this?

I don't think there's any chance something like this happens. You have to remember that Frontierland is a "space rich, idea poor" area of the park. If they wanted new sttractions there, they could use: A)Big Thunder Ranch B)Cascade Peak C)Space adjacent to FL beyond the berm. All three of those areas are large enough to accommodate three very large attractions. (The Matterhorn could fit into Cascade Peak alone)

As an aside, there was a very real project for putting a big attraction on TS's Island. It would have been an extension of "idea rich, space poor" NOS, and would have been connected by a highly themed tunnel under the river.

Autopia has such a target on its back because it covers about a fifth of the entire park, and is adjacent to a land poor TL (and isn't even in theme). It would also provide land that could be used for an expansion of idea rich FL in the Northern portions of the track next to the old motor boat pond.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast