Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Idea: You're CEO and $1.5 billion is allocated to the parks.. Where do you spend it?

Divide it among the parks worldwide for maintenance? Or new parades everywhere? Or do you focus it on one park, if so where and why? There's no wrong answer, but there's surely a right one. And propose a slightly higher number if you have a serious proposal that is realistic and merits it.

Re: Idea: You're CEO and $1.5 billion is allocated to the parks.. Where do you spend

I get a big crane, lift up Tower of Terror and Drop it on top of Toon Town. Then I pick up California Screamin and put it on Tom Sawyers Island. Then I close California adventure and turn it into Star Wars/Marvel Adventure.
    jk.kinda

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Idea: You're CEO and $1.5 billion is allocated to the parks.. Where do you spend

I could actually think of a good way to spend this money at EACH park, but for purposes of this thread you can only pick one and I want to know why.

I'd buy up the surrounding area for a few square miles... level it.. and sit on it for a few years until I got more $ to build something proper.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

WDW for the last decade or so, has been notorious with maintenance and upkeep on existing attractions. They need some of that money to spruce things up. (Wonders of Life Pavilion, Imagination pavilion, Carousel of Progress for starters) The other half - goes to giving Tomorrowland a proper renovation. One, with a compromise, so that, for every "one" franchise attraction the heads of the company are insistent on adding, it's complimented with something original/non-movie based.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Mouseke-Awesome

Is "in churros" a valid answer?

Trip Reports: One, Two, Three, Four

• Minion

I would spend it on Disneyland to completely revamp Tomorrowland and build a high capacity E-ticket in Frontierland.

• Blew By You

I'd put the money on the Disneyland Resort. If I'm correct, the foreign parks have a secure source of money from an investor. WDW wants to go it cheap. So, I'd make the Disneyland park maintenance a priority, even if it meant closing down attractions for extended times. I'd also build a hotel. Make it an affordable one and not cartoony like the ones at WDW.
    Nothing splashy or glitzy but definitely needed.

• No Disassemble!

Massive property allocation in Anaheim to make enough room for two more gates, a water park, and a new boutique style Contemporary Resort 2.0. They can borrow a few more billion from the banks and investors to have everything done by 2025.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TanyAnnette View Post
    Is "in churros" a valid answer?
    Yes!

• Not the Hawkguy

I think I'm looking at infrastructure at the Disneyland Resort. Buying up more land along Harbor, including Garden Walk, and building a second parking structure at the current Pumbaa parking lot, then connecting that to the Esplande via a raised walkway. I'd also send the buses/taxis to this parking structure as well, and build a new hotel where the current bus stops are. Have the walkway go through the lobby or something. I'd also look to build another structure for the Downtown Disney parking area on the northside of the hotels, so that I can free up the Timon parking lot for future expansion, probably a water park, but I wouldn't rule out rerouting Disneyland Drive to allow for a DCA expansion into this area.

I really, really like Nirya's ideas above

But my initial thought upon reading the title of this thread was to significantly improve Epcot by adding...
    - Brazil Pavilion
    - India Pavilion
    - Egypt Pavilion

and updating/improving:
    - Imagination...trackless ride system employed for some brilliant new creative attraction (for Christ's sake, any attraction focusing on the power of imagination and built by Disney should be nothing short of AMAZING).
    - Energy...updated video and narration for this ride.
    - Land...updated and improved interior and dining area

There's more I'd like to see updated and improved around Epcot, but I'm guessing everything I've already listed would exhaust the $1.5 billion budget. (replacing Captain EO, getting rid of all the Nemo stuff from the Sea, bringing back an updated version of Horizons, and adding another pavilion to Future World would be in my plans).

All of this of course, is working from the assumptions that Star Wars Land and additional improvements are going to happen fairly soon to DHS, and that a 3rd Gate at DLR is already a certainty.

• Not the Hawkguy

Other things I could think of doing with the money would be a full-scale investment into fixing WDS Paris, and definitely a long-term fix in EPCOT. I just went with Disneyland first because it's the only park I've personally been to, and can speak to without spouting off nonsense.

• Former Churro Jockey

Realistically, as much as I'd like a new E-ticket (or two)! at Disneyland, I think there are other things that need to be addressed first. My priorities for Disney Theme Parks would be safety, security, and cleanliness. So:

1. I'd invest in hiring more CM's and getting better training for security and custodial, and I'd invest heavily in ride maintenance. I'd want to get Disney back up to the standards where they replace something that they anticipate is about ready to break rather than waiting until enough things have broken to be worth the cost of fixing.

2. Disney's custodial is still pretty good, but I have noticed a very small gradual decline over the past 10 years where certain things (especially attraction queues) are now okay to leave dirty for an extended period of time.

3. Lastly, I don't know if Disney is having more of their security guards work undercover, or if they've laid off most of the ones that used to work inside the park, but I never see any security anymore other then at the bag check stations. They used to be quite visible. If they still have just as many security staff but they're just having them dress like regular park guests, then I think they need to hire additional staff in order to dress up in the regular security guard costume and be a visible presence in the park again. The perception of safety is incredibly important (especially to mom's).

I don't know how much that would cost (especially the ride maintenance), but I'm going to assume I've used up half of the money. So next, I would invest heavily in infrastructure around Disneyland, as well as building a new hotel (don't know how much a new hotel costs, but I'm thinking $250M?). Before Disney can build a bunch of awesome new rides or a 3rd park, they have to have room for all of these additional guests to park and sleep. Right now parking is challenging even on a moderately busy day, and next to impossible on a really busy day (i.e. 9/13). Disney needs to build a parking structure for all of their cast members next to the park (Pumba lot?), completely take over the Katella lot, and build another parking structure there for guests, and build a 3rd parking structure at the parking lot adjacent to Paradise Pier Hotel. Eventually, they need to build an underground tram for the cast members to get from the Pumba lot to Harbor Pointe, and a People Mover for park guests to get from the various adjacent lots to the park. However, that alone would probably cost a billion dollars, so that would have to be saved for later. It's important though that the parking structures be constructed with that in mind in order to not have to spend additional money later to convert the structures to accommodate the People Mover.

Finally, I'm probably already out of money at this point (maybe even over budget), but I would want to give Cast Members a raise and work on improving their backstage areas (esp. the cafeterias).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    I think I'm looking at infrastructure at the Disneyland Resort. Buying up more land along Harbor, including Garden Walk, and building a second parking structure at the current Pumbaa parking lot, then connecting that to the Esplande via a raised walkway. I'd also send the buses/taxis to this parking structure as well, and build a new hotel where the current bus stops are. Have the walkway go through the lobby or something. I'd also look to build another structure for the Downtown Disney parking area on the northside of the hotels, so that I can free up the Timon parking lot for future expansion, probably a water park, but I wouldn't rule out rerouting Disneyland Drive to allow for a DCA expansion into this area.
    This is a great post.

I've actually heard some variation of these ideas from trusted sources over the past several years. What you're suggesting... sounds right on the money... if things go in the most optimistic way possible. So fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast