Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Would DLR's Sub Voyage fit better in WDW's?

Would DLR's Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage be better if it went to WDW's Submarine Voyage if it didn't get filled up and turned to Pooh's Playful Spot? Then DLR's Submarine show building, Autopia track layout, and Motorboat Cruise, and Matterhorn could be a whole new land. Or keep Matterhorn in Fantasyland (depending on the new land's new theme). Maybe the area east of Small World Mall could house a couple dark rides. Then the rest of the land could be a Discoveryland, Myths and Legends, or whatever is decided.

I think leaving DLR's lagoon using it for an underground ride or whatnot would be more useful than filling in WDW's lagoon.

Your thought's?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Re: Would DLR's Sub Voyage fit better in WDW's?

I have read this theory once before .. but not a devoted topic on the matter.

It's all actually quite inane when you really think about it.

WDW's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" resided within FANTASYLAND.
    DL's "Submarine Voyage" resides within TOMORROWLAND.

Yet .... the "Fantasyland" characters of Marlin, Dory, Nemo and the rest will be residing in the last "sub" attraction in any Disney theme park.

If anything ... It should have been DL's subs to get the ax .. And WDW's should have been saved ....... with this whole "Nemo" idea.

It's all so backwards.

And worse yet ... I heard the whole story on another website of what really went down with WDW's sub attraction .. and it's not a pretty story. Long story short ... certain departments sought to sabatoge WDW's sub ride so that it would never return.

WDW's sub ride closed in 1994 .. with a very close situation that almost brought the ride back to life.

Now it's a pile of dirt .. with a "Pooh" playground for tots.

• ...TWO BITS!

AH! Wonders could have been done with the parks if they only switched the Sub plans. Except the Pooh's Playspot thing. I meant DLR making a new land idea. Dang. If only they thought about it longer. Hopefully this kind of mistake doesn't happen with Lassesster approving animated and WDI projects.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Having a Grand Day!

I think people have the wrong impression about Lasseters Position - he heads WDI, NOT The Disneyland Resort or the Walt Disney World Resort - the People who choose to commision new attractions or axe them. All Lasseter will do is make sure that WDI's plans are creative - it doesn't mean Disneyland or WDW have to use them as laid out by WDI or use the plans at all - they can outsource at will.

To put it in context with your post - that means he can't stop DL or WDW from closing an attraction - all he can to is express his disaproval.

• ...TWO BITS!

Still, wouldn't you say it's a step in the right direction? Better than nothing.

-Jurassic Park

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

John Lassiter is not the second coming of Christ, people!

He'll no doubt exert his considerable influence, which will lead to an improved Disney company.

It won't trickle down to every detail, and he and Jobs may do some things that surprise us -- using technology to maximize efficiency behind the scenes... perhaps running the computer systems on APPLE product, for example.

Now, the thing about the Submarines is they are two different rides in two different places. Guests on a every-other-year visit to the 4 Disney parks in Florida are not likely going to really miss "20K" when there are so many other new and exciting rides to choose from. It was a dinosaur, and the 20K movie was getting out dated.

Disneyland is the home of the Annual Passholder from Irvine, who is bringing her 2 kids back once a month or whatever, to re-experience the playgground of her youth. Mommy Passholder wants her kids to experience some of the "E" tickets of her youth. She complains at City Hall that the beloved Sub ride is still closed after all these years. Encyclopedias talk aboout Disneyland being the first park to have a monorail and a submarine ride, with all the enthusiasm of the 1960s.

Disneyland has to keep the sub ride, as it is historically a major Walt feature of the park's 50 year expansion. In Florida, I can see it going away.

On paper or in our minds as we think about these places, themeatic integrity and place mean something different than they do on the ground. The Disneyland in our minds is quite different from Disneyland the real place. The real place revolves around Cash Registers and Guest numbers, and if 20K had become a "skip it" ride for the average WDW parkgoer, it only makes sense they would replace it with what their guests today want.

• Former Epcot CM

The 20K Lagoon was drained every year and everything in it had to be repaired and painted, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in maintenance. I completely understand why WDW washed their hands of it.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Infinitized!

I did go on DL's subs but I've never been to Florida. How did the two compare, more specifically, the show elements? All I know is WDW's subs looked like the Nautilus so did their ride have scenes from the movie?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I couldn't get my family to go on it with me, so I guess that says something.

• Disney Prince

I think the Florida version was better but yes, it was a maintenance nightmare so it's a good thing that they got rid of it (even though i miss it so much, it was under refurb when i first went to MK as a kid and cried because I couldn't ride it, it became my favorite attraction when i rode it a year later)

Anyway, yes, the Nemo re-theme would work better with MK than with DL.

• Man of Logic and Reason

I think you're all absolutely bonkers to think that WDW deserves to have the Nemo Submarine ride upgrade/reinvention rather than Disneyland. I live in Anaheim, but have been to WDW and trust me when I say that WDW's Tomorrowland has plenty of attractions to keep the land alive, but look at Disneyland. Our Tomorroland has no People Mover, no good show (we're stuck with HISTA still), and is in desperate need of a rework from the god awful golden future of the 90's. While I agree that the characters from Nemo would technically belong to Fantasyland, the old sub ride didn't really belong in Tomorroland in terms of theme anyway; it stands alone. So you say Submarines alone aren't really a good enough reason to put it in Tomorrowland, well when the old subs were introduced they weren't exactly brand new technology either. Disneyland needs to be in a constant state of refurbishment, reinvention, and rennovation because the people who go their see it on a fairly consitant basis. If they are not treated to something new, different, or exciting; or if they are not able to look forward to something new coming then they can easily lose interest in spending their money to come to the park. That is why Disneyland is more than deserving and more than appropriate to recieve the Nemo Submarine Voyage.

• Banned User

A thing, DL could do is just make the submarines part of Fantasyland, it is after all part of the matterhorn, right?

• ...TWO BITS!

Why do people focus on just the submarines? The submarines "took you to the unexplored depths of the sea". It's like how rockets take you to the depths of space. Fits TL fine with me.

With WDW getting Nemo, a whole new land with more new attractions could open up in DLR. So with people complaining submarines aren't tomorrow, a new land with new attractions should suit well.

Yes, the submarines opened in 1959 in DL and was the first. But what about all the maintenace nightmare complaints?? Or is that just referring to WDW's?? And the subs in WDW's was in Fantasyland. While the subs in DLR's is in TL. I have the impression there was some confusion with that.

Moving DLR's subs to FL would be odd because the station is in TL. And Monorail station is right above sub station. But I guess it would still be fine. There's also been talk that the Monorail station might move elsewhere.

-Jurassic Park

• Disney Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdack
    I think you're all absolutely bonkers to think that WDW deserves to have the Nemo Submarine ride upgrade/reinvention rather than Disneyland. I live in Anaheim, but have been to WDW and trust me when I say that WDW's Tomorrowland has plenty of attractions to keep the land alive, but look at Disneyland. Our Tomorroland has no People Mover, no good show (we're stuck with HISTA still), and is in desperate need of a rework from the god awful golden future of the 90's. While I agree that the characters from Nemo would technically belong to Fantasyland, the old sub ride didn't really belong in Tomorroland in terms of theme anyway; it stands alone. So you say Submarines alone aren't really a good enough reason to put it in Tomorrowland, well when the old subs were introduced they weren't exactly brand new technology either. Disneyland needs to be in a constant state of refurbishment, reinvention, and rennovation because the people who go their see it on a fairly consitant basis. If they are not treated to something new, different, or exciting; or if they are not able to look forward to something new coming then they can easily lose interest in spending their money to come to the park. That is why Disneyland is more than deserving and more than appropriate to recieve the Nemo Submarine Voyage.
    MK's Subs aren't in Tomorrowland, they were in Fantasyland. And Disneyland has more things to do in it than the Magic Kingdom. they could always go ahead and put something in that spot behind BTMR.

• Man of Logic and Reason

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    MK's Subs aren't in Tomorrowland, they were in Fantasyland. And Disneyland has more things to do in it than the Magic Kingdom. they could always go ahead and put something in that spot behind BTMR.
    I am well aware that the MK's Subs were in Fantasyland. I was talking about the ones at Disneyland. And in fairness I think what makes Disneyland feel like it has more things to do/attractions is because they are so close together. The amount of space between the places at Florida's MK make it feel like there is less when in reality it's about the same.
    I agree that the whole "exploring the unconquered realm of liquid space" does fit into Tomorrowland because just like outer space it is one of the only things that man has not yet conquered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast