Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

• Banned User

Re: Micechat Update: The new GAC, More Details Star Wars,

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    Big E-tickets follow the old adage, Mo' money Mo' problems. They require such a huge monetary investment that executive meddling squeezes all the life out of them. It has to have huge ride vehicles to cycle through huge numbers. There has to be a gift shop at the end. They have to be based on a predictable franchise. Small witty touches are edited out in favor of mass appeal.

I like my attractions like I like my cinema - auteur-ish, creative, indie.
    I agree, smaller—but high quality/creative attractions such as Storybook Land canal boats, quality dark rides (not Mermaid, IMHO), work very well, and their capacity starts to add up when you've got half a dozen of them. Bugsland could have worked, but the rides are unbelievably cheap, they didn't need to spend an E-Ticket budget on Hemlich's chew chew train . . . but what is there is a joke.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm not happy about this plan either, but I don't think it's fair that you keep harping on this idea of one attraction replacing two. The article claimed that there would be new walkthroughs, shopping and dining also going into the Ewok Village area. Honestly, I think most of this plan is going to happen and don't know why anyone wouldn't think so.
    Yes, we seem to have our vague "Disney insider rumors" ... but I've too often seen in the past,that plans change. So you simply cannot believe everything you read. And everything people tell you. In a world of spin, and distortions ... truth can be hard to find. Interesting how nothing has been revealed at Japan's D23. And on the flip coin of me being accused of "harping" .. all this Star Wars stuff is having a way of being harped, overhyped, exaggerated with very little actual fact. Over at another website, one poster is saying the stuff said here on Miceage is not entirely accurate. So .. who's to be believed?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    The article claimed that there would be new walkthroughs, shopping and dining also going into the Ewok Village area. Honestly, I think most of this plan is going to happen and don't know why anyone wouldn't think so.
    I can't get over Disney would actually think a series of straw huts in a forest with shops, walkthroughs, and dining to be a big Headliner (just to the north/east of the subs).. to come spend that 100 dollar admission price into Disneyland. If more Star Wars stuff is heading Disneyland way ... they actually need something more exciting than straw and tree branch huts ... and little teddy bears walking around.

I know this will get ignored by Uncle Bob, but I recall a time in Tomorrowland with a good variety and good number of attractions to hit up. I easily spent half the day in Tomorrowland. The more quality adventures that could fit into Tomorrowland's limited amount of acreage ... the more capacity it has, which it does need. DCA or no DCA ... downsizing TL to have less than it has now .... that is just a joke of an idea. Not good master planning at all.

This is modern Disney we're talking about, it has been clear for years that all this group of management cares about is milking franchises for everything that they're worth. They obviously don't care about Walt's original vision for the park one bit. I have a feeling Tomorrowland will just be gone completely soon and it will just become Star Wars Land. So all this worry about inconsistency of theme won't be a problem. The only problem is for us people who want a TL, but Disney assumes most of us will come see what they did anyway and they're probably right. It would be easy enough to call Nemo part of FL and do a minor rework of Buzz and Space Mountain and you have Star Wars Land. From a business perspective, this makes a lot of sense. Just sucks that it fundamentally destroys a major aspect of Walt's original vision for the park.
    Uncle Bob ... I see a part of you who does agree with the side of what's ultimately best for Disneyland's future. That's awesome. I see current Disney slowly wittling away at some people's optimism. But they haven't got ME .. and they never will. It's about putting one's foot down, and fully realizing what is ultimately better. And it becomes our job to keep reminding Disney ... as they will change managements over the course of time .... that there are better ideas and better philosophies to handle all sorts of issues regarding the park. I'm not giving up. You shouldn't. And the same goes for everyone else who reads these forums.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I like my attractions like I like my cinema - auteur-ish, creative, indie.
    Exactly. That's what gave such charm to Disneyland's original Mr. Toad and Peter Pan, and what is so lacking in DCA's Little Mermaid.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I think it's safe to say that Walt's original vision for Tomorrowland was a pretty epic failure and had been since the beginning.
    Wow man! You got one selective memory!

I guess you preferred to conveniently leave out the 1959 improvements with the worlds first submarine voyage of it's kind, not to mention the first daily operating monorail in the western hemisphere. Then there's the 1967 World on the Move tomorrowland. For 6 years .. it was ON TOP! Till GE decided to pull CoP out in '73. But got a big bump with Space Mountain '77 ..and TL was on top for the next several years.

So, please stop the selective "revisionist history" lesson on TL, which is not true.

If you accept that Walt's original vision of Tomorrowland was to show a vision of the future, "with predictions of constructive things to come" then you have to try to reconcile the fact that Walt turned his back on that as soon as he put the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit in. In the battle between Walt's original vision, and making Tomorrowland fun, fun won almost every single time.

Walt wanted Tomorrowland to be his chance to change the world, to solve poverty and end wars, but instead it got model airplanes, movie sets, spinning rockers and flying saucers.
    Now .. the truth: (Not this "spin" you created).................

Due to a lack of funds, and time ... TL was raced into construction beginning in January 1955. Only a half a year to grand opening. All those modest exhibits that adorned what was dubbed the North and South Exhibition Halls .... were put there so Tomorrowland didn't have a series of empty buildings. It was something .. till Walt came up with better ideas. Which did happen. Just took some time. And for the record ... he was never happy with those corporate sponsored attractions ... and they didn't last long anyway. Some were shuttered earlier than others. Walt had so much on his plate at the time. New rides were going up in TL .. with Astro Jets and Skyway in 1956. Viewliner and House of the Future 1957. And the big north quadrant upgrades. And by 1961 - Flying Saucers. The exhibition halls just had to wait. By 1964 ... the plans to start on a new TL were off and running by that point.

Truthfully I see adding Star Wars to Tomorrowland as the continuation of Walt's original solution for Tomorrowland: "You know what the people want and you build it for them. Even when that means compromising your original goal for something fun.
    Except the concept of Tomorrowland is still solid. If people stopped watching the same junk on tv for at least 20 minutes each night .... and actually put on some of the interesting Science Channel, Discovery Chanel shows ... there's plenty of food for thought - to reinvigorate Tomorrowland.

Oh sure Star Wars is the only solution.

That's if you look at that solution through a narrow straw ... and not look outside of it ... to see there are actually ideas (Watch the Science and Discovery Channels) ... and one will see all the wondrous things man kind on Earth are actually working on - that are more "grown up" and stimulating to our brains .... than a cutesy romp with a set of "favorite movie characters".

Not just me .. but thousands of others would rather take to a land, that opens our minds about our actual future .. instead of ruining a land, so we can pay homage to a set of worlds by other humanoids .. in another galaxy far, far away .. a long, long time ago.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011