Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Micechat Update: The new GAC, More Details Star Wars,

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There is really no advantage to not having a return time as a new pass is not available until the previous one is used. If someone gets a Radiator Springs Racers DAS first thing in the morning and wants to use it at 7pm, they won’t be able to ride anything else with a DAS for the rest of the day. There really is no benefit to it.
    Sure there is.. it makes abuse more lucrative through a few points
    1- no return time limit means more flexible than a FP. I can use it at lesiure if doing other things... including..
    2 -no return time limit means I can stack multiple DAS cards and still use the times efficiently

#2 works by having multiple people with DAS cards in the same group. You can stack as many rides as you have DAS cards in your group. Then you bypass the 'can only have one time' limit by using a second card.. and have no risk of having your first card's return time invalidated by being late. Do this, and you can move from attraction to attraction with little to no wait inbetween. The only 'cost'... have more than one person with a DAS in your party. The DAS holders ride as 'guests' on the other DAS card return times.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Star Wars!!! Tomorrowland will have longer lines that Cars land

• Nutty about Disney parks

If their intention is to build a large-scale Star Wars land, they're focusing on the wrong coast. Let's face the facts that WDW's got the room to build a Star Wars mecca. Whatever they build in Anaheim, even if there was a third gate, will just be a mini-version. It's the same case with Potterland in Orlando vs Hollywood.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^there is still room to build something BIG DCA is not huge but still feels pretty big to me..and Carsland feels like a real land..not some subland

They could make a third gate big enough for Star Wars and Marvel to breathe and have big and small attractions

• Not the Hawkguy

Another thing I don't get is why build the Cantina at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Pizza Port would make a much better retheme for that.

Honestly, I agree that this seems like someone's specific agenda in regards to the Star Wars Tomorrowland update. The more I think about it, the more I hate things like the Falcon taking up the entire People Mover platform, putting the Astro Orbitor above the Magic Eye Theater, taking out Autopia completely, etc. I think there are ways to accomplish these moves, but they're going about them all wrong.

Put the Falcon above the Magic Eye Theater, with the entrance going through the second level of the Starcade. It'd create a visually stunning picture of the Millennium Falcon with Space Mountain rising in the background, while requiring less of a reroute for the Space Mountain queue. Put the Astro Orbitor in its rightful spot above the People Mover platform (along with returning it to its original Rocket Jets version), and reopen the People Mover as a slower tour of Tomorrowland, a good contrast to the high-speed Speeder Bike attraction. Move Autopia to Fantasyland and shorten the length of the ride (and at the same time, bring over Aquatopia from Tokyo DisneySea). Go ahead with the Endor build in the former Autopia queue area, and run the Speederbike ride through this area. And have the Cantina replace Pizza Port instead of Tomorrowland Terrace.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

In my humble opinion ...

I'm very reticent to believe any of the Star Wars rumors for Tomorrowland, as they all seem so implausible, and lack lots of logistical issues, that never get discussed in those columns:

* What are key Disney executives and imagineers saying about altering one of Disneyland's original 5 themed lands?

* Why anxious to move even further away from Walt's original vision for the land? We, today, accept that more "science-FANTASY" elements are part of the norm. But this is ridiculous.

* Why would Disney take up the vast 200 foot wide, 82,000 squarefoot Innoventions building to be essentially .. just the "load" preshow ... for a ride that will predominantly be over Autopia. So .. you demolish 2 rides ... for 1. Is that right??? Real good for over all capacity. NOT. Real good to keep the number of attractions up. NOT.

* Who thought that placing the Astro Orbitor in front of Space Mountain was a good idea? Space Mountain is one of the parks most iconic visual pieces of architecture .. to be blocked by the Astro Orbitor? The center of the land is best! Right where it was before .. for 30 years.

* What about the PM track? Are they going to make TL into this static land ... no inventive ride concept that ties all the buildings together? That will be a terrible loss.

* Placing the Millinium Falcon in the center of the land? Ok .. I get that this ship has played a major role in 3 Star Wars films, it's iconic in one right. But as Luke Skywalker points out at first glance - "What a piece of junk!". This is not a pretty ship folks. In the history of science-fiction films .. I can think of dozens of much more graceful looking ships that deserve a permanent spot in the center of a land .. for the next 30+ years.

* As we know ... Buzz, Nemo, and Space Mountain are going nowhere. Now they want to infuse more "Star Wars" .... Just when I thought Tomorrowland could gain a more cohesive sub theme .... It just seems destine to become more of a hodge podge mess.

* Retheme the building facades to match Star Wars? In case everyone has forgotten .... the color and shade palette for most of the cities in the 6 Star Wars films are a medium to dark shade of gray. Mostly "metallic" surfaces. From Kamino, to Coroscant, to Utupah .... the median color scheme is this very monotonous shade of gray that will take on a dark and moody appearance at night. If you think TL now is moody .. bringing in more metallic fabrication to the building facades is going to take it all down a few notches ... looking pretty close to the movie Blade Runner. Gee ... just what Disneyland is suppose to be - against Sleeping Beauty Castle, Matterhorn, and the elegance of Main Street .. is Dark Moody Land.

BRILLIANT!

Welcome to Walt's Happy Land, with Dark Star Wars in the middle of it all.

Are people such heavy Star Wars fans ... that objectivity is just so thrown ... that none of these logistic issues mean anything to a lot of people?

I really hope many of you all think real hard .. and give this some thought.

Tomorrowland deserves to be a place that somewhat resembles Walt's opening day speech.

It's not like there aren't other better ideas.

We should all know that by now.

What we do know, is the company's current mantra:

Exploit all new acquired franchises, with full force!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    This seems a bit short-sighted. There's going to be a minimum of three new films, so why would they build out all of Tomorrowland without their inclusion? I'd imagine that the Star Wars footprint won't be as large as we think, and that it will be a placeholder until a possible third gate. There they could go nuts.
    I have a feeling the Original trilogy will always be the most popular.
    And its entirely possible the millenium falcon and Endor will be in the new movies. MF probably a definate

• World of Color

Quote Originally Posted by DizMagic View Post
    What should happen:

• Astro Orbiter should be placed where the rocket jets were above the people mover loading station.
    • People mover tracks should be re-enforced and Tron light cycles should be put in place using similar technology as the 7 dwarves ride coming to WDW (leaning ability).
    • Nothing should block Space Mountain's facade. It still looks good and futuristic.
    • Autopia should change to electric cars with solar panels above and charging tunnels that charge the cars on the move (still futuristic).
    • Innovations building should be ripped out for a new and Disney original E-ticket ride. Not based on any movie. I want a ride that they base movies on.
    I like your ideas.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Oh ... here's another consideration I think is getting overlooked ....

Force Perspective

A key element in everything in Disneyland .. from day 1 - 1955.

Imagine Astro Orbitor dwarfing Space Mountain's ominous look.

It will make it look smaller.

It will ruin it.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• And Dad was my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by DizMagic View Post
    What should happen:

• Astro Orbiter should be placed where the rocket jets were above the people mover loading station.
    • People mover tracks should be re-enforced and Tron light cycles should be put in place using similar technology as the 7 dwarves ride coming to WDW (leaning ability).
    • Nothing should block Space Mountain's facade. It still looks good and futuristic.
    • Autopia should change to electric cars with solar panels above and charging tunnels that charge the cars on the move (still futuristic).
    • Innovations building should be ripped out for a new and Disney original E-ticket ride. Not based on any movie. I want a ride that they base movies on.
    +1

All of the above is perfect! And I think not enough people understand the benefit of electric cars that gearing Autopia towards that is a exactly what needs to happen and it would live up to it's "autopian" name.

What the heck is up with this idea of total Star Wars Land?! I love the (old) movies but come on... "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far way" ummmmm, yeah, no. Not Tomorrow, not by a long shot.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Oh ... here's another consideration I think is getting overlooked ....

Force Perspective

A key element in everything in Disneyland .. from day 1 - 1955.

Imagine Astro Orbitor dwarfing Space Mountain's ominous look.

It will make it look smaller.

It will ruin it.
    Entirely dependent on how they accomplish it (if it is actually in the cards). There are things that could easily make it work - setting the Orbiter in close to a redesigned facade could set things into perfect scale but would likely be the most expensive option. Removing the HISTA/EO ME Theatre and moving the orbiter into that space would also dwarf the orbiter (it could likely fit under the covered space where the theatre/SM queue/Redd Rocket's seating is located and leave room for at least one of the other features, and even potentially enclose the Orbiter for show effects... ah, I can dream...).

There are options.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• World of Color

No disrespect to the MiceAge update team but in the past articles there have been a lot of false information like:

1.) Star War Land in Tomorrowland
    2.) Tron Light cycle coaster on the Peoplemover track
    3.) Iron Man expo replacing Innoventions (Suppose to close early 2013)
    4.) And having up cost Christmas parties
    Just to name a few.

I want a real fully loaded Star Wars land. If Cars and a Bug's Life can get their own lands then why not Star Wars? I really hope that if they are redoing Tomorrowland to fit Star Wars that they just go all the way and make it Star Wars land. I don't want a half-assed Tomorrowland/Star Wars fusion land. The theme should either be one of the other. What do you guys think?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Sad to say, Ewoks in Tomorrowland makes perfect sense when one considers the amount of power that Disney Consumer Products wields in the Company, and the youth-demographic that it targets.
    Star Wars products marketed to youths don't involve much Ewoks, it revolves around the last trilogy, Return of the Jedi is kinda out of date given that it came out in the 1980's, and I doubt that we'll be seeing anymore Ewoks in future Star Wars films. Droids, woookies, R2D2, Jedi, yes, no Ewoks I would wager.

Unless Disney is doing a 1980's land with rubik's cubes, a karate kid experience, Teddy Ruxpin dolls and a gummy bear land . . . Ewoks are kinda yesterday's news.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    I want a real fully loaded Star Wars land. If Cars and a Bug's Life can get their own lands then why not Star Wars? I really hope that if they are redoing Tomorrowland to fit Star Wars that they just go all the way and make it Star Wars land. I don't want a half-assed Tomorrowland/Star Wars fusion land. The theme should either be one of the other. What do you guys think?
    I don't think Disney will do a Star Wars cut-and-paste job on Tomorrowland. For one thing, despite some fans' misgivings about the current Tomorrowland, it has workhorse attractions which bring in guests, like Space, Buzz Lightyear, Autopia and Star Tours.

It would hurt the Star Wars brand if the Star Wars land wasn't blockbuster amazing, Disney spent $4 billion on Star Wars, Lucas Film makes $200 million a year in royalties, and George made about $500 million on each subsequent Star Wars film, that is why Disney is doing origin films on Han Solo and Yoda, and why they need to make sure these films are a hit.

To do a Mos Eisley Cantina (might well make a reappearance in the new trilogy), don't you need more than just a restaurant? Don't you need a bit of Tatooine place-making? I kinda think so . . .

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast