Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Micechat Update: The new GAC, More Details Star Wars,

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    I want a real fully loaded Star Wars land. If Cars and a Bug's Life can get their own lands then why not Star Wars? I really hope that if they are redoing Tomorrowland to fit Star Wars that they just go all the way and make it Star Wars land. I don't want a half-assed Tomorrowland/Star Wars fusion land. The theme should either be one of the other. What do you guys think?
    While I agree that a Tomorrowland, featuring Star Wars is a bad idea, I think changing all of Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land is a terrible idea.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    My six year loves the Autopia. But I think the Millennium Falcon and the Speeder Bikes on Endor will more than make up for it in his Force-addled mind. Let's see, son... Smelly, slow car or STAR WARS? Talk about a no-brainer. Sorry, only the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia could make anyone pine for the Autopia.
    So you're saying it's impossible for anyone to genuinely enjoy Autopia? That's ridiculous.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post
    I have a feeling the Original trilogy will always be the most popular.
    And its entirely possible the millenium falcon and Endor will be in the new movies. MF probably a definate
    Based on everything I know about the Star Wars Expanded Universe (Star Wars novels of which there are many), yes, Han and the falcon are running when Han has grey hair, the Wookie homeworld is important (think Endor but with treehouses human beings can enter as wookies aren't the pint-size Ewoks who aren't smart enough to fly spaceships), and Coruscant is a big deal.

Endor's moon was *strategically* important because the Emperor built the second death star in orbit with the famed shield generator on the moon, in one novel, the Falcon stops in the spot where "the emperor died" in orbit above Endor's moon, but didn't visit the Ewoks as they are primitive and don't have spaceships. And in another, the remains of the Death Star are briefly being excavated on Endor's moon . . . but no mention of ewoks. There isn't much of a reason why Han, Luke, Leia or the Solo twins, would visit the Ewoks . . .

There is a Wookie Jedi, and the Wookie homeworld (briefly seen in the prequels and Star Tours 2.0), has much the same feel as Endor's moon, though the Wookies have technology/spaceships . . . heck, Chewie is Han's mechanic!

Wookie walk-around characters - doable!

Ewok walk-around characters . . . . very, very hard to make them small as in the films, and would be a trip-hazard if the same height as in the films.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 10-08-2013 at 05:38 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Star Wars products marketed to youths don't involve much Ewoks, it revolves around the last trilogy, Return of the Jedi is kinda out of date given that it came out in the 1980's, and I doubt that we'll be seeing anymore Ewoks in future Star Wars films. Droids, woookies, R2D2, Jedi, yes, no Ewoks I would wager.

Unless Disney is doing a 1980's land with rubik's cubes, a karate kid experience, Teddy Ruxpin dolls and a gummy bear land . . . Ewoks are kinda yesterday's news.
    To us, Ewoks are yesterday's news. But to DCP's kiddie demographic they're new and cute, or will be after they've been Disneyfied. DCP likes to cover their bases with a brand -- thrill rides for the teens and young adults, cutesie for the kiddies. Taken together it creates a full-court press on the Parents' Wallets. How will it all be executed? Fast & cheap is my guess. (Hint: don't eat anything for lunch that you don't want to lose before dinner.) Anyhoo, that's my prediction for the calamity that's about to descend on Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-08-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    I want a real fully loaded Star Wars land. If Cars and a Bug's Life can get their own lands then why not Star Wars? I really hope that if they are redoing Tomorrowland to fit Star Wars that they just go all the way and make it Star Wars land. I don't want a half-assed Tomorrowland/Star Wars fusion land. The theme should either be one of the other. What do you guys think?
    If any of these rumors are true .... they aren't going to be ready for at least a few years. If they are going to take that long ... then I'd rather they wait it out for a few more years, when a third gate could happen ... and Disney has this vast, clean slate to work with.

Instead, it looks like they are in a big hurry, and ultimately compromise both. Tomorrowland will be compromised. A Star Wars land will be compromised, because they are insistent on combining both.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

IMO, these rumors really don't make much sense.

1) Spinners on the Space Mountain concourse? Just logistically, having to either A. get rid of the theater underneath or B. reinforce the entire theater to support a RIDE on top of it just sounds dumb. I can't imagine the amount of money it would take to demolish that theater and repurpose that whole area for an attraction that has a low throughput and will never be incredibly popular or marketable. Reinforcing the existing structure would probably be even more money. Would they ever recoup the money they spent on putting an old ride in a new spot? I doubt it.

2) Taking out Autopia. This one I can understand more, but half of the ride sits above the subs show building. So if you even touched Autopia, you'd effectively be touching the subs as well. To keep the subs there and then build another ride on top of it while demolishing Autopia... Again, insanely expensive. Plus all of that would only make sense if the monorail track was shortened to only one big loop around the area. The Peoplemover track would most likely be taken out as well. More money and a logistical and structural nightmare to have to deal with FOUR rides in one area and demolishing two while trying to keep the other two somewhat intact. Insane.

Name:  Tomorrowland.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  138.9 KB
    RED: Route of new monorail path. Basically cuts out the middle section.
    BLUE and Highlighted: Approx. subs show building, to my knowledge. Could it be bigger or smaller? Most likely.
    GREEN: Approx. area to work with if Disney took out Innoventions, Subs, Peoplemover track, Monorail middle section, and Autopia.

The only rumor that I could see as mildly plausible (besides the Cantina, restaraunt rethemes aren't unheard of) would be the the MF on top of the Peoplemover station. It would be a cool place for a meet and greet and already has the benefit of being structurally sound along with being a station already (queue line logistics).

Don't post much but I saw these rumors and just had to say something. I just don't see it the way it was spelled out in the article. The smartest way of planning is utilizing your existing space to its greatest extent (Buzz, Nemo Subs, Star Tours, Pizza Port, etc utilized what they had). Otherwise you just start over.
    Last edited by MagicMountainMan; 10-08-2013 at 06:24 PM.

• Artistic integrity

Older Al Lutz columns discussed John Lassetter and Tony Baxter exploring the eastern edges of backstage against Harbor Blvd.

Thinking of showbuildings that could be built as close to Harbor Blvd as possible.

I wonder what happened with all those ideas?

I thought .... they were considering adding at least one more attraction to the "TL" line-up. In addition to turning the 82,000 square foot carousel building into a cool all-indoor E Ticket.

Now .... the rumor here .. .is make that entire building into a preshow/queue .. aka Rocket Rods queue.

Can I say - dumb?

And if I may say - lets remove the "too much money" out of the equation - More than anything - the logistics are about - What works. Spacial considerations. Aesthetic considerations. Keeping up the number of attractions and capacity as much as possible - for a park with 21st Century crowds. Attractions geared for the whole family - not just one tiny demographic. Etc.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-08-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Star Wars has no business being in Tomorrowland. It happened a long, long time ago, remember? How exactly is that going to play in the world of the future? I don't think a lot of the things in TL make sense but this just crosses the line.. Star Wars can be built in DHS and maybe a 3rd gate for Anaheim. Now, why can't Imagineering come up with some original ideas that blow our minds?? They used to do that all the time, but now everything they have done lately has been a big advertisement for movies/ TV.
    Explanations of myself are not possible.
    Follow my insta!! @disneyland_theoneandonly

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by jacobeee View Post
    Star Wars has no business being in Tomorrowland. It happened a long, long time ago, remember? How exactly is that going to play in the world of the future? I don't think a lot of the things in TL make sense but this just crosses the line.. Star Wars can be built in DHS and maybe a 3rd gate for Anaheim. Now, why can't Imagineering come up with some original ideas that blow our minds?? They used to do that all the time, but now everything they have done lately has been a big advertisement for movies/ TV.
    What I find funny are the counter arguments to what you are saying - that franchises with built-in audiences are a bigger money grab ... (and my favorite Disney phrase) ... relevant to younger audiences. However .... there in concrete and steal are testaments .. year after year ... decade after decade .. generation after generation ... rides that are constant favorites packing them in ... with no franchise attached to them:

* DLRR
    * Jungle Cruise
    * Tiki Room
    * PotC
    * HM
    * Big Thunder
    * it's a small world
    * Matterhorn
    * Space Mountain
    ... among others

So, sorry .... that thing about franchises being the only thing that works .. just goes right out the window!

You build a good quality ride, with all the artistry Disney has developed over time ..... It will pack'm in for generations!

Same applies if Tomorrowland were properly renovated .. with "WOW" factor attractions that will resonate with more fans ... than a movie franchise that will have a smaller fan base - to attractions with a broader sub theme.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    And if I may say - lets remove the "too much money" out of the equation - More than anything - the logistics are about - What works. Spacial considerations. Aesthetic considerations. Keeping up the number of attractions and capacity as much as possible - for a park with 21st Century crowds. Attractions geared for the whole family - not just one tiny demographic. Etc.
    I agree with everything you said, I think that money is always a consideration however. They only allocate a certain amount of money per fiscal year to parks and resorts and then that's distributed between all of the parks worldwide. How the parks then use that money is very much a balancing act between getting the most bang for your buck and spending too much money. Everything else you mentioned is definitely part of the equation as well.

• Artistic integrity

You're right.
    It's all about these "per fiscal year" allocations.

What I'm doing though .. is taking 10 steps back to look at things with a much broader perspective.

Tomorrowland has been planned for renovation as far back as 1980. With Sam McKim drawing up the carousel theater with this huge dome of glass ... Peoplemover and Monorail tracks rerouted to interwined more with each other throughout TL-proper, with other ideas involved in that plan. That was shelved. TL:2055 plan .. came and went. TL began a decent into closed rides (1988-1995) before a renovation was ever put into place. Then the K-Mart Special of renovations that came about in 1998. 10 years of lots of new plans to renovate the land, which brings us to today. With a CEO pretty insistent on forcing more franchises into the DLR, and not one single original idea a consideration.

So ... you have "fiscal considerations" that have been overlooked for Tomorrowland, now for 33 years.

Did you catch that?

33!

And you know what the company's seeming response has been since then? "We don't care." Or - "We have more important priorities."

So, the way I see it - They need to look at their 33 year "fiscal year" neglect.

And too much of these rumors seem to hint on reusing the 1967/77 buildings/infractucture ... AGAIN ... when .. really .... they need to do whole-sale demolition that involves bringing in at least one more new ADDITIONAL attraction. Not subtrack! Which that Autopia/Innoventions rumor entails.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-08-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMountainMan View Post
    IMO, these rumors really don't make much sense.

1) Spinners on the Space Mountain concourse? Just logistically, having to either A. get rid of the theater underneath or B. reinforce the entire theater to support a RIDE on top of it just sounds dumb. I can't imagine the amount of money it would take to demolish that theater and repurpose that whole area for an attraction that has a low throughput and will never be incredibly popular or marketable. Reinforcing the existing structure would probably be even more money. Would they ever recoup the money they spent on putting an old ride in a new spot? I doubt it.
    The spinner apparatus weighs a lot, no-way would any structural engineer OK just reinforcing the roof, you'd have to cut away sections of the current roof, and put in steel reinforcement beams that go down to a new foundation, and build a new platform and you'd still have steel beams going down into the current theater. It would be cheaper to tear down the old theater and build something new than ask somebody to work around the existing structure.

Other problems:

1. The glare from Space Mountain! If it remains white, the glare would be horrible as it would be a good chunk of the spinner's vista from the ride. Plus, the spinner goes up, there might be sightline issues with the buildings.

One positive would be that you could, if you wanted, add Star Wars-style facades to zoom past, but you'd still have Space's glare and monotonous facade, and you couldn't extend such a facade too much to wreck the view of space from down below.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMountainMan View Post

2) Taking out Autopia. This one I can understand more, but half of the ride sits above the subs show building. So if you even touched Autopia, you'd effectively be touching the subs as well. To keep the subs there and then build another ride on top of it while demolishing Autopia... Again, insanely expensive. Plus all of that would only make sense if the monorail track was shortened to only one big loop around the area.

I can't see an Ewok village with a monorail zooming around it, also the Ewok trees would weight a lot (assuming rockwork/vinyl leaves), they would have to close the subs, rip out the old roof, perhaps add new foundations, new supports . . . wow, what a cost! Very hard to do without damaging the sub showbuilding's show elements and the infrastructure for the water. And all so guests can zoom around an Ewok village? Doesn't sound very exciting.

I think WDI already hinted they were working on a pod racer type ride anyhow.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 10-08-2013 at 07:41 PM.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    So, sorry .... that thing about franchises being the only thing that works .. just goes right out the window!
    Except during the holidays when the wait for the Haunted Mansion featuring Jack Skeleton easily doubles over its non holiday version.

Even the lines for Pirates and Small World saw significant bumps when they added franchise characters to both.

Sure originality works, but franchises will always be better.

• No Disassemble!

In my opinion a full scale replica of the Millennium Falcon would overtake the landscape of Tomorrowland so much that it would be hard to believe that the original Tomorrowland actually still exists.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    No disrespect to the MiceAge update team but in the past articles there have been a lot of false information like:

1.) Star War Land in Tomorrowland
    2.) Tron Light cycle coaster on the Peoplemover track
    3.) Iron Man expo replacing Innoventions (Suppose to close early 2013)
    4.) And having up cost Christmas parties
    Just to name a few.
    I don't think this is fair at all. MiceAge does an excellent job of reporting what they are hearing at the time. Disney is a company that changes gears quickly. Plans change. Then change again.

For instance, you used (3) Iron Man in your comment...but you fail to mention how Iron Man was planned for Tomorrowland in Anaheim but those plans were shelves when the Lucas deal happened. If Disney had not acquired Lucas, we'd be getting Iron Man. But now we are getting Star Wars instead. What part of this don't you understand? MiceAge reported the Iron Man plan (which was going to happen at that time) and then MiceAge also reported that the plans changed and were becoming Star Wars.

Same thing with the Tron Light Cycle. That too was being planned for Tomorrowland but they went with Star Wars instead. But they were working on ways to do the Tron Cycle on the People mover track. I saw concept art of that on one site.

Your comment feels like you want MiceAge to be like a psychic crystal ball that accurately predicts the future. In reality, MiceAge is really more like having an eavesdropping device in TDA's office right here in the present. They tell us what they are hearing right now...but MiceAge does not claim to be able to travel into the future and report on that for you.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast