Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Re: Micechat Update: The new GAC, More Details Star Wars,

1. I could easily see the back half of Tomorrowland get turned into a "Star Wars Land", much like the transition from Frontierland and Critter Country blends into New Orleans Square. The transition to these three areas is so seamless, I'd be willing to bet real money that 80-90% of DLR visitors think all three of those are all the same "land".
    2. Tomorrowland will always be Disney's problem child, because it's a moving target. We can look back into the past for inspiration for Frontierland, Adventureland, etc, but what the future (i.e. Tomorrowland) will be like is anybody's guess. If we're going to guess, why not make it a profitable guess and make some $$$ of the biggest movie franchise of all time, one that happens to be a science-ficition franchise that's owned by Disney?
    3. Any walk-thru model of the Falcon would not be complete without smuggling areas hidden into the floor.
      The Imagineering possiblities of this are fascinating, actually. What if Chewie popped his head out from under the floor and growled, and R2 was busily working on the busted hyperdrive and 3PO is nearby offering choice commentary on the Falcon's programming language, and tie it up with holo-chess and 3D lightsaber training on the passenger deck...
      Is the FastPass for this open yet?

• U. B. Bold

Perhaps it would be helpful if we could list the things we all agree on?

1) Autopia is still a popular attraction.
    2) Autopia is slow, smelly and uses outdated technology that is in no way futuristic.
    3) Slow, relaxing attractions that the entire family can enjoy are needed at the park.
    4) Many people have fond memories of the Autopia.
    5) Young children love the Autopia.
    6) Much of the Autopia is built on top of the Sub's show building which may or may not prove problematic for a new attraction(s) built in the same area.
    7) There have been no recent rumors or mention of the Subs going away.
    8) The Subs could go away. It is possible.
    9) The current Autopia is made up of the Tomorrowland Autopia and the Fantasyland Autopia joined together. They could be separated again.
    10) Star Wars is an enormously popular franchise and has been for decades.
    11) There will be new Star Wars films so it is likely that the popularity of the franchise will continue into the forceable future.
    12) Tomorrowland is a thematic mess in dire need of an overhaul.
    13) Disney paid a lot of money for Star Wars and wants that investment to pay.
    14) Building lands and entire parks around franchise properties is the new normal in the theme park business. (We can debate whether this is good or bad, or if it is what Walt would have wanted, etc., but there is no denying the facts. See: Cars Land, WWHP, etc.)
    15) Disney is worried about Universal (rightly so) and needs something to counter a west coast Potterland.
    16) Star Wars is the only franchise Disney owns that is more popular with the general public than Potter. It is, perhaps, the most popular franchise of all time. Marvel is good but doesn't come close. Tron? Wall-E? Not even in the same universe (so to speak).
    17) The job of Imagineering is to please the largest number of guests by creating immersive experiences that promote and expand upon Disney owned properties.
    18) Disney fans complain when an older, beloved attraction is shuttered, changed or replaced by something deemed inferior.
    19) The rumor here is that an aging, out-of-theme C ticket will be replaced by a Star Wars themed E ticket, plus a C or D ticket walk through. Also another walkthrough attraction where none currently exists.
    20) There are no known reports of moving the Autopia or saving part of it. It could happen, but no one knows.
    22) Innoventions is a less than popular attraction in an under-utilized space.
    23) Part of the ride might be inside of the building, as well as the queue. We just don't know at this point.
    24) Everything Star Wars related from this Mice Age post is unconfirmed rumor at this point.

I'm sure others may have things to add to this list but these are the facts as we know them. Draw your own conclusions.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

The craft that will have landed there wont be any old spaceship however, but will be the famous Millennium Falcon that will act as an elaborate walk-through attraction and meet n greet location for your favorite Wookie co-pilot. In the shadow of the landing pad is the old Tomorrowland Terrace dining facility, made over into the rowdy Cantina on Tattooine where wed told you previously that those tests in the Golden Horseshoe last month were for an interactive dining/entertainment concept using the Star Wars universe.

OMG!
    I love it!
    Monstropolis!

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Perhaps it would be helpful if we could list the things we all agree on?

16) Star Wars is the only franchise Disney owns that is more popular with the general public than Potter. It is, perhaps, the most popular franchise of all time. Marvel is good but doesn't come close. Tron? Wall-E? Not even in the same universe (so to speak).

I'm sure others may have things to add to this list but these are the facts as we know them. Draw your own conclusions.
    This is the only point I don't fully agree with, and it's mostly in regards to Marvel. Superheroes have been in the public consciousness for much longer than Star Wars, and considering the huge success of recent Marvel movies and tv shows, I'd argue it's on equal footing with a Star Wars franchise that has been damaged in the past decade by poor creative decisions.

The big problem with Marvel is that, beyond Iron Man, it's almost impossible to really get them into Tomorrowland. They're really third gate (unless you want to do some West Coast Avengers stuff in DCA, but that's another story).

As for Tron and Wall-E, popularity shouldn't be the sole driver for making new things. The goal should be to create the most immersive experience possible. That's part of the magic behind WWHP (and really Cars Land) is that you can walk through Hogsmeade, go through the castle, etc. Disney proved with Cars Land that they still know how to make an immersive experience, so I'm still optimistic in regards to a Tomorrowland update. But dismissing other franchises because of popularity isn't right.

•   
    • Among mad people

Maybe I missed it, but is there any mention of when all this construction is supposed to start? Is all this supposed to be done by 2015?

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    This is the only point I don't fully agree with, and it's mostly in regards to Marvel. Superheroes have been in the public consciousness for much longer than Star Wars, and considering the huge success of recent Marvel movies and tv shows, I'd argue it's on equal footing with a Star Wars franchise that has been damaged in the past decade by poor creative decisions.

The big problem with Marvel is that, beyond Iron Man, it's almost impossible to really get them into Tomorrowland. They're really third gate (unless you want to do some West Coast Avengers stuff in DCA, but that's another story).

As for Tron and Wall-E, popularity shouldn't be the sole driver for making new things. The goal should be to create the most immersive experience possible. That's part of the magic behind WWHP (and really Cars Land) is that you can walk through Hogsmeade, go through the castle, etc. Disney proved with Cars Land that they still know how to make an immersive experience, so I'm still optimistic in regards to a Tomorrowland update. But dismissing other franchises because of popularity isn't right.
    You're right. Marvel is very popular and has become even more so in recent years with the run-away success of the MCU. But it still doesn't match Star Wars in cross-demographic (read boys and girls of all ages) popularity. Star Wars is just a bigger cash cow. Whether Imagineering choices should be based on franchise popularity is, sadly, not a choice left up to Imagineering. We may not like it, but the writing is on the wall where big money franchises are concerned.

• Not the Hawkguy

You're right. Marvel is very popular and has become even more so in recent years with the run-away success of the MCU. But it still doesn't match Star Wars in cross-demographic (read boys and girls of all ages) popularity. Star Wars is just a bigger cash cow. Whether Imagineering choices should be based on franchise popularity is, sadly, not a choice left up to Imagineering. We may not like it, but the writing is on the wall where big money franchises are concerned.
    I think you're generalizing both franchises again, or rather, putting a spin on it that isn't there. Marvel still reaches a large female contingent; just going off demographics from Avengers opening weekend, the movie had a 3:2 ratio of males to females. And the stories are attracting fans of all ages; same opening weekend, Avengers had 50% of its viewing audience under the age of 25.

And lets compare the current popularity of the franchises. On one hand you have a franchise that has released two of the highest grossing films of all time (and before you bring up inflation numbers, just know that the Star Wars movies are helped by multiple releases. If you go by original release, both Avengers and Iron Man 3 have them beat) that's issuing one to two movies a year, in addition with other properties being released by different studios, multiple tv shows, a thriving comic book line, and ever-growing merchandising opportunities.

The other last released a movie in 2005 that was considered good only because the previous two attempts had been so bad by comparison, barely has one television show on the air at this moment (and yes you can argue the more recent sale had something to do with this, but Star Wars has traditionally been awful at TV shows for the majority of its existence), and is competing against a franchise in Star Trek that has been so warmly received recently that the director of those movies was brought in to help rescue the franchise.

Either way I look at it, Marvel is just as big a cash cow as Star Wars.

• U. B. Bold

Well, my friend, we could get the accountants together and argue this 'till doomsday but Disney's gonna do what Disney's gonna do. We can agree that both are wildly popular franchises that Disney is itching to exploit. Looks like Iron Man is coming to Hong Kong and Star Wars (maybe) to Anaheim. I'm willing to wait and see and give it a chance.

My six year loves the Autopia. But I think the Millennium Falcon and the Speeder Bikes on Endor will more than make up for it in his Force-addled mind. Let's see, son... Smelly, slow car or STAR WARS? Talk about a no-brainer. Sorry, only the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia could make anyone pine for the Autopia.
    Unfortunately, the height limit on the Speeder Bikes may prevent your 6 YO from riding for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    I agree that replacing Autopia is just a nobrainer, especially when you think of how much space it takes up. You could almost fit all of Cars Land in there.
    But, what they are planning to replace it with takes up just as much room. And probably half the kids wouldn't be able to ride the new attraction due to height restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Loggins View Post
    This seems a bit short-sighted. There's going to be a minimum of three new films, so why would they build out all of Tomorrowland without their inclusion? I'd imagine that the Star Wars footprint won't be as large as we think, and that it will be a placeholder until a possible third gate. There they could go nuts.
    "Placeholders" could end up lasting 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    In my humble opinion ...

I'm very reticent to believe any of the Star Wars rumors for Tomorrowland, as they all seem so implausible, and lack lots of logistical issues, that never get discussed in those columns:

* What are key Disney executives and imagineers saying about altering one of Disneyland's original 5 themed lands?
    The "key" Disney executives are probably behind it all. The Imagineers watching over Disneyland (now that Baxter is gone) are more than willing to gut Tomorrowland in order to put THEIR stamp on the park.

• a wind to shake the stars

I think removing the Autopia for a new ride, any new ride, is a no-brainer. I have no problems with Autopia but it isn't futuristic by any means and it takes up an incredible amount of space that could be used for a newer, more exciting ride.

I think "kids won't be able to ride it" is a statement that needs to be qualified. For one, you can ride Autopia in two ways: driver or passenger. You only need to be 32" tall to be a passenger, but at that point you are just a passenger... and chances are you were probably a passenger in a car on a freeway a few hours earlier when you were headed to DL in the first place. You need to be 54" to drive an Autopia car, which is the highest height limit in the entire resort. RSR is 40" and Screamin' is 48". It's been a while since I was a kid but if I remember right most of the thrill from Autopia comes from being the driver, which is already something you have to be pretty tall to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    No disrespect to the MiceAge update team but in the past articles there have been a lot of false information like:

1.) Star War Land in Tomorrowland
    2.) Tron Light cycle coaster on the Peoplemover track
    3.) Iron Man expo replacing Innoventions (Suppose to close early 2013)
    4.) And having up cost Christmas parties
    Just to name a few.
    All those issues WERE being developed by Disney at one time. Just because they weren't followed through on doesn't mean it was false information.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Except during the holidays when the wait for the Haunted Mansion featuring Jack Skeleton easily doubles over its non holiday version.
    The boost was due to the short time frames when it was available. if they were permanent, the lines wouldn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Even the lines for Pirates and Small World saw significant bumps when they added franchise characters to both.

Sure originality works, but franchises will always be better.
    While the attractions experienced a boost, They weren't significant. Most of it was due to the initial increase because people were curious about the changes, not because the changes actually improved the attractions.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast