View Poll Results: Which would you prefer in Tomorrowland?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Speeder Bike

45 34.35%
  • Tron Light Cycle

86 65.65%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Given a choice - Star Wars Speeder Bike or Tron Light Cycle?

If you wan to keep the idea of the future in Tomorrowland, Star Wars makes more sense. However, the Tron lightcycles would be visually interesting.

I just hope the people mover tracks will finally be torn out.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by captveg View Post
    All things being equal, Tron lightcycles.

HOWEVER - Tron Lightcycles would work best in a totally enclosed, always neon-lit environment, and so for the specific use of the land of the Autopia, the Star Wars Speederbike/Endor theming works SO much better for the ride aesthetic. I always thought that if they ever redid the PeopleMover track for Tron they'd have to somehow enclose the track and assist the illusion of speed with neon light projectors or something similar in order to keep the illusion of being in the game world, which would take away from the whole appeal of leaving the buildings anyway, not to mention the look of Tomorrowland from the casual person walking through the land.
    That's been my bone of contention too. Since the ride for Shanghai DL is apparently a go - all indoors, by the way, it makes sense. You experience a Tron lightcycle within the game grid .. as suggested in the movies. However, there's the issue of Disneyland's Peoplemover track. Many people want to see that route re-used for some sort of ride. Which takes us back to the rumors a few years ago, that WDI was apparently tinkering with running a Tron type ride system on the PM concourse.

It has been very un-clear lately .. about what to do with the PM track. And just bringing this back full circle - If a Star Wars speeder bike idea is meant for the course of the PM track route .. not the Autopia area ... then that's where a ride that aesthetically looks better for Tomorrowland.

Speederbikes/Endor will look good both day and night without such aesthetic issues.
    On the other hand ... this (according to Miceage columns) is suppose to be Disney's big ticket attraction. Tomorrowland or Star Wars .. it's a High Tech World ... with a ride that's suppose to bolt out of the Innovention's location .. jetting out across the submarine lagoon ... working around the Monorail ... It will be prominent from many points of the land. It needs to look cool. Whatever ride they put up. Speeder Bike, Tron Light Cycle, whatever.

Whatever ultimately happens ... whatever WDI intends to do above the former Autopia .. or the PM track ... it needs to "pop out" as this is suppose to be a headliner attraction ... and if it's not Tron ... the bodies of the vehicles need to light up somehow. It needs to look good. It needs to look HOT! Not like weathered vehicle .. that's been used in the forests for 20 years.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post

I just hope the people mover tracks will finally be torn out.
    And what if tearing out the PM track means .. nothing is built in it's place?

This is not necessarily something to wish for.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    And what if tearing out the PM track means .. nothing is built in it's place?

This is not necessarily something to wish for.
    When Tomorrowland is relaunched, that area is going to be so packed and congested, removing the PM tracks would be smart move to open up more room. Since the PM tracks do not meet the current OSHA requirements... therefore they cannot be used unless they are widened, what is the point of them sticking around?

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    What I don't get is that there were some pretty cool vehicles in the Star Wars movies.... so why would they choose a couple of the ugliest (The Falcon and the bikes) for ostentation?
    Good point. What if it was a Star Wars vehicle but not the speeder bikes?

Name:  AAT-Battle-Tank-icon.png
Views: 130
Size:  83.6 KB or Name:  Mando-and-Speeder-Bike.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  38.5 KBor Name:  Cloud-Car.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  39.6 KB

They could design a "new" Star Wars-type hoover craft that hasn't been in any movie. Still make it Star Wars themed.
    Jeff made me famous!
    From the Mouth of the Mouse.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    When Tomorrowland is relaunched, that area is going to be so packed and congested, removing the PM tracks would be smart move to open up more room.
    Removing the 3-4 vertical beams that run down the center of the main Tomorrowland promenade, and take up about a foot in diameter is going to open up more room?

It's the planters/seating pods that surround each of those 3-4 pylons are what take up any room. And where will there be places to sit? You have to have places to sit. If they want to make them a bit more slender .... perhaps it's going to make a wee bit of difference .. but not really much.

The only other place in the entire land where a PM vertical beam is of any interference to congestion ... is the one that runs in between Redd Rockets Pizza Port and Innoventions. And once again .... removing that is not going to make one bit of difference.

Everywhere else .. the PM track runs indoors ... where it's no impedence to pedestrian through-traffic.

In order to open up areas ... the rocks that surround Astro Orbitor .. and Astro Orbitor itself are what need to be removed. Which has been rumored, anyway. (Lets keep our fingers crossed. That alone will make a world of difference). And there's Scot Drake's blue sky drawing depicting the area in front of Space Mountain - As a wide open area .... minus the Kodak Magic Eye Theater.

I can tell you all what TL will look like without any cool ride circling the land, the way the PM did .. in and out of buildings. It will look like a shopping mall. Oh ... there'll be cool "blingy" buildings .. but without something cool connecting them all .... it will look like a static, kinectless set of "random" buildings .. like most 20th Century cities.

I thought Disneyland was a place for all things unique - Not mimiking the boring present-day world outside.

Since the PM tracks do not meet the current OSHA requirements... therefore they cannot be used unless they are widened, what is the point of them sticking around?
    You assume there's not a thing Disney can do about it. My hunch is, there is. There's been the Tron and Star Wars speeder bike for PM track route rumors. So .... as far as the original PM is concerned .. I think you're right. But we don't have all the facts do we?

I suspect there's PLENTY that could be done ... to bring some sort of "life" back to that track route. Maybe not that track itself .. .but something.

Don't assume it's just all said and done regarding that thoroughfare.

I bet there is plenty Disney is not telling us!
    MY SIGNATURE:

I vote Tron because:

Disney original

Lightcycles are just as if not more futuristic than speeders from an engineering standpoint

Most people can grasp and see the future of computer technology better than space travel at this point

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

What I don't get is that there were some pretty cool vehicles in the Star Wars movies.... so why would they choose a couple of the ugliest (The Falcon and the bikes) for ostentation?
    I agree about the bikes...but the Falcon is one of the most recognized vehicles/things ever. Only people who have never heard of Star Wars Don't know what the millenium falcon is and I'd love to get a picture inside or outside...but I still rather see its own land

• MaliBOOMer

Tron all the way. It is way cooler.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I agree about the bikes...but the Falcon is one of the most recognized vehicles/things ever. Only people who have never heard of Star Wars Don't know what the millenium falcon is and I'd love to get a picture inside or outside...but I still rather see its own land
    Recognized, yes, but ugly as sin. One recalls both Skywalker children having some choice things to say about the hunk of junk in the original movie... and in Empire, it managed to hide in plain sight amid imperial garbage. Do we really want something that can pass for garbage elevated above Tomorrowland?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

Recognized, yes, but ugly as sin. One recalls both Skywalker children having some choice things to say about the hunk of junk in the original movie... and in Empire, it managed to hide in plain sight amid imperial garbage. Do we really want something that can pass for garbage elevated above Tomorrowland?
    Considering what Disney did to Tomorrowland in '98, choosing as the land's visual weenie something that can pass for garbage has a certain ironic, even perverse, continuity.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I feel like I'm going to get yelled at for this, but I am not a fan of either films, but if I was the one to choose, I would choose the tron one because I feel like Disneyland already has enough star wars stuff, and not enough tron stuff. Theres a lot of tron fans out there, and I think that they should have something for them too.
    "Who's she?!?"
    "Oh her? Oh, that's Wendy!"
    "A girl?!"
    "What's she doing here?!"
    "..and in her nightdress too!"
    "...We were only trying to drown her..that's all."

I know that Star Wars is a popular franchise but really there is nothing cool looking about the Speeder Bikes. Tron Legacy is one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen and the ability to experience that world would be awesome. The Light Cycle's would give Disney a chance to immerse you in a different world and could really make for a cool experience. The Speeder bikes on the other hand don't really have the opportunity to be as special. Even if it's a fun ride, you are going to be riding rusted metal bikes through a forested area. It's an experience that can most likely be matched by going 4 wheeling in the mountains.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

TRON light cycle for many reasons but the main one is I think that all new star wars attractions should go into a new star wars land or park.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Ton light cycle. Fits the theming of Tomorrowland better.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast