View Poll Results: Which would you prefer in Tomorrowland?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Speeder Bike

45 34.35%
  • Tron Light Cycle

86 65.65%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• Foolish Mortal

Re: Given a choice - Star Wars Speeder Bike or Tron Light Cycle?

Tough call, tough call. I grew up with both so I hold them close to my heart. I really enjoyed the TRON themed tunnel on the old People Mover back in the day, but I also really loved Return Of The Jedi as well.

I suppose it all comes down to the current theme of Tomorrow Land. If it stays similar, than I'd say Light Cycles, if it gets a complete Star Wars overhaul, Speeder Bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    What I don't get is that there were some pretty cool vehicles in the Star Wars movies.... so why would they choose a couple of the ugliest (The Falcon and the bikes) for ostentation?
    To my thinking, this is preferred in order to incorporate the lush landscapes of Endor. The chase scene from Ep. 3 is quite memorable, and a lot of that has to do with the trees. Other bikes (same argument as Tron) might look cooler, but there is a lot more to the ride than the vehicle. It's all about the setting.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

I'd like to note that for those voting for Tron because they fit the current theme of Tomorrowland, that argument is kind of moot if the speeder bikes are installed in an eventual star wars land in total. The theme of Tomorrowland as we know it would no longer exist if speeder bikes are installed. To that end, they would make perfect sense

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• film975

Whether you're a fan of TRON or not, you gotta admit that one of the coolest about those films are the Light Cycles.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Whether you're a fan of TRON or not, you gotta admit that one of the coolest about those films are the Light Cycles.
    Honestly a big part of that look is why I don't think they'd work for any 'real' attraction. The instant 90 degree turns, the competitive nature of pretty much any place they're a major facet of the movie, the walls they leave behind when 'on grid' - all would look AWESOME in a simulator, but would be problematic at best in the real world.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• formerly very helpful

I voted speeder bike, but the truth of the matter is I'd prefer an original attraction based on nothing. In a perfect world, a new attraction would be a new version of the People Mover, with the same leisurely pace, and views. I know that's not going to happen, but it is nice to fantasize.

• Evil is Sexy

I'm sure the Imagineers could find a way to make the light tails work on the cycles. Also - why only cycles? They can hold only two at most. Qora had a light car that could hold more passengers.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I'd like to note that for those voting for Tron because they fit the current theme of Tomorrowland, that argument is kind of moot if the speeder bikes are installed in an eventual star wars land in total. The theme of Tomorrowland as we know it would no longer exist if speeder bikes are installed. To that end, they would make perfect sense
    And to be fair, on the flip side of the coin .... the discussion of Star Wars theme to the land is moot ... when we really don't know what will ultimately happen ... as things constantly change, and in a huge state of flux.

For instance ... in case no one is watching what's happening with HKDL ..... Star Tours II was slotted to go into their Tomorrowland. Last minute change! It's to be Marvel: Iron Man Experience. Using the same simulators. (Actually the ones from Body Wars from the Wonders of Life Pavilion in EPCOT.) More on this story if you go to the website with the 12th and 16th letters of the alphabet as that websites acronym. Go to their section for the Hong Kong resort.

And even if they do go with a "Star Wars" theme .. it could be cornered to only part of the land for all we know. Or minimized to a degree because of non-"Star Wars"-based attractions that are going nowhere! How do you "Star Wars" theme Nemo, Buzz, Space Mountain, and the Monorail?

So, if anyone still has yet to participate in the poll and the chat ... don't tie "too many strings" in your head .. one way or the way .. with Tomorrowland's future direction .. because the fact is ... we don't know - things have a way of changing. And guess what? They do!

At the heart - I'm asking .... what you think looks cooler, and is a better attraction, overall, for this futuristic land called Tomorrowland.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    So, if anyone still has yet to participate in the poll and the chat ... don't tie "too many strings" in your head .. one way or the way .. with Tomorrowland's future direction .. because the fact is ... we don't know - things have a way of changing. And guess what? They do!

At the heart - I'm asking .... what you think looks cooler, and is a better attraction, overall, for this futuristic land called Tomorrowland.
    You do realize how you just contradicted yourself here right?

There's no reason to believe that Tomorrowland will keep a futuristic theme at all.

Let's mix this up a bit. Let's say that the rumor is that Disney wants to change the theme of Tomorrowland to a North Pole Village. The rumor for the Peoplemover track involves a Prep and Landing themed Reindeer Racers ride. Now which one "looks" cooler? A perfectly in-theme-for-the-area Reindeer ride, or the Tron racers?

Tron only works if you believe that the Tomorrowland theme is staying. There's absolutely no reason to believe that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    You do realize how you just contradicted yourself here right?

There's no reason to believe that Tomorrowland will keep a futuristic theme at all.

Let's mix this up a bit. Let's say that the rumor is that Disney wants to change the theme of Tomorrowland to a North Pole Village. The rumor for the Peoplemover track involves a Prep and Landing themed Reindeer Racers ride. Now which one "looks" cooler? A perfectly in-theme-for-the-area Reindeer ride, or the Tron racers?

Tron only works if you believe that the Tomorrowland theme is staying. There's absolutely no reason to believe that.
    Tomorrowland could keep its theme if it was given the creativity and imagination that made Disneyland famous to begin with.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I'm sure the Imagineers could find a way to make the light tails work on the cycles. Also - why only cycles? They can hold only two at most. Qora had a light car that could hold more passengers.
    That's probably one of the reasons they designed the Light Runner for the movie. With that possibility in mind. Be interesting to see if they'll use it more in the TRON: Legacy sequel that's now in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I voted speeder bike, but the truth of the matter is I'd prefer an original attraction based on nothing. In a perfect world, a new attraction would be a new version of the People Mover, with the same leisurely pace, and views. I know that's not going to happen, but it is nice to fantasize.
    In that case I vote the people mover track to be used again, but this time it will be the people mover from the Axiom on Wall-E

• Former Churro Jockey

You know, I love how cool the Tron light cycly looks in the movies, but I don't know that it would translate to an outdoor track in sunlight. It would look awesome at night (as the Rocket Rods did on the rare occassion that the light effects were working), but I don't know that it would look all that good during the day. And, for the people actually on the ride, I think the effect might be ruined in daylight. So I'm thinking that the track would need to be fully enclosed in order to pull off a Tron light cycle ride. We'd lose the effect of being able to see the light cycles race around at night, but I think that is the only way that they can make the ride look the way that it is supposed to for the guests actually riding it.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    You know, I love how cool the Tron light cycly looks in the movies, but I don't know that it would translate to an outdoor track in sunlight. It would look awesome at night (as the Rocket Rods did on the rare occassion that the light effects were working), but I don't know that it would look all that good during the day. And, for the people actually on the ride, I think the effect might be ruined in daylight. So I'm thinking that the track would need to be fully enclosed in order to pull off a Tron light cycle ride. We'd lose the effect of being able to see the light cycles race around at night, but I think that is the only way that they can make the ride look the way that it is supposed to for the guests actually riding it.
    Kinda what I was thinking. I could see them doing simulator pods with wraparound windows and create an incredible experience that way - but the rest of the TL facade is a little too... hate to say it, mundane. It'd take a Tron-centric wraparound for any place the ride interfaced with, or just walking away from the entire "real world is different from the grid" portion of the IP.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Evil is Sexy

Why couldn't they wrap the track in a darkened glass tube, perhaps with blacklight.. similar to how the Space Mountain queue had been in areas way back in the day?
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast