View Poll Results: Which would you prefer in Tomorrowland?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Speeder Bike

45 34.35%
  • Tron Light Cycle

86 65.65%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: Given a choice - Star Wars Speeder Bike or Tron Light Cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Why couldn't they wrap the track in a darkened glass tube, perhaps with blacklight.. similar to how the Space Mountain queue had been in areas way back in the day?
    I know at least from my view part of the reason to bring something back on the Peoplemover track (as the Tron cycles were originally rumored) is to return to the "world of motion" kind of feel that having the PM gave. Tubes would make it easier to put a cheapish Tron-esque blue on the walls, but it'd remove a lot of the appeal of the exterior view.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I know at least from my view part of the reason to bring something back on the Peoplemover track (as the Tron cycles were originally rumored) is to return to the "world of motion" kind of feel that having the PM gave. Tubes would make it easier to put a cheapish Tron-esque blue on the walls, but it'd remove a lot of the appeal of the exterior view.
    Well, I think that if they did decide to go with Tron light cycles, in order to do the ride correctly, the only option would be to enclose the ride. We'd give up the world in motion part of it unfortuntely, but otherwise I don't see how the ride could work. Although I do think that if they made the enclosure look really cool, maybe like a sleek, black, rounded cover with cool lights on it, then they could maybe have a feature like a line of blue light racing along the side of the enclosure that is visble to the outside that supposedly coincides with the light cycle that you can't see racing along inside.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I think that if they did decide to go with Tron light cycles, in order to do the ride correctly, the only option would be to enclose the ride. We'd give up the world in motion part of it unfortuntely, but otherwise I don't see how the ride could work. Although I do think that if they made the enclosure look really cool, maybe like a sleek, black, rounded cover with cool lights on it, then they could maybe have a feature like a line of blue light racing along the side of the enclosure that is visble to the outside that supposedly coincides with the light cycle that you can't see racing along inside.
    Every time I hear plans like this I start thinking of the Hogwarts Express train coming to USF and think of that application to this sort of a ride - the vehicles themselves would need to be enclosed to allow for the simulator screens, but a small enclosed ride footprint could then be used to amazing effect (see: Transformers).
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    ...How do you "Star Wars" theme Nemo, Buzz, Space Mountain, and the Monorail?
    this is easy, really. Space Mountain becomes Han Solo's Kessel run, Nemo becomes a Naboo scene with the colo claw fish, and the monorail can be the transport used by Annakin and Padme in Ep. 2. Now, I'm not suggesting I want those things, but you can re-purpose ANYTHING in Tomorrowland to Star Wars with little effort.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Former Churro Jockey

Every time I hear plans like this I start thinking of the Hogwarts Express train coming to USF and think of that application to this sort of a ride - the vehicles themselves would need to be enclosed to allow for the simulator screens, but a small enclosed ride footprint could then be used to amazing effect (see: Transformers).
    I think the ride itself would be more like King Kong except you're moving rather then sitting still watching a movie happen around you. There could be other racers on the screens around you leaving light walls behind them, some crashing into those walls, those funny flying two-legged things shooting at you (do they have any weapons in either of the Tron movies?).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Singing Drinker

I think the ride itself would be more like King Kong except you're moving rather then sitting still watching a movie happen around you. There could be other racers on the screens around you leaving light walls behind them, some crashing into those walls, those funny flying two-legged things shooting at you (do they have any weapons in either of the Tron movies?).
    What you're describing is part of why I see it as a Hogwarts Express style with the windows themselves set as the screens. Doing it that way would enable a full 360 degree wrap around - you'd see other bikes and their trails, and could even see your own if you look behind you.

• Former Churro Jockey

I think I have a hard time envisioning the ride vehicle itself. I would hate a Pony Express style ride where you are sitting on a motorcycle-kind of ride vehicle, but I don't see how you would be sitting in a seat in a car. I guess that's why it's probably never going to happen.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Singing Drinker

I think I have a hard time envisioning the ride vehicle itself. I would hate a Pony Express style ride where you are sitting on a motorcycle-kind of ride vehicle, but I don't see how you would be sitting in a seat in a car. I guess that's why it's probably never going to happen.

If the current rumored version of a modified Vekoma bike coaster is in fact true, it'll be those wonderfully uncomfortable seats like PE. I think that's part of why I'm all for a simulator hybrid - you'd be able to tone down the actual movements of the ride by accentuating them with the simulator and hopefully be able to reduce the level of restraints as well.

• Disneyland AP

I LOVE star wars, but one attraction is enough. Tron is a perfect fit.

• Evil is Sexy

those funny flying two-legged things shooting at you (do they have any weapons in either of the Tron movies?).
    Recognizers. They're from Flynn's stolen game called "Space Paranoids", last referenced in Onece Upon A Time last season.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

I'll start it off by casting my vote, and why:

Tron Light Cycle

I prefer it, because it's a far better thematic fit for Tomorrowland, and visually speaking ... it speaks HEAPS. There is the issue that the ride would look better at night. But during daylight, they could be dressed up with cool white sidings, chrome bits, and brushed aluminum fabrication pieces to bling it up.

At one stage, I thought the Tron Light Cycles would be an E Ticket consideration ... all indoors.

But with rumors of a "speeder bike" ride in place of Autopia ... or the course of the old PM track ... I'll take the Tron idea .. any day over ugly Star Wars speeder bikes!

The Star Wars bikes I found on the net ... they are all butt ugly. And if Disney models a ride based on the look of those images .... that's no cool looking ride. It's a grungy ugly thing that fits the theme of Frontierland and Adventureland .. before being cool enough for Tomorrowland.

Tron though ... is cool.
    I also prefer a TRON theme for similar reasons, although primarily i feel the TRON design work is much more futuristic looking and outright more visually interesting then yet another Star Wars themed area.
    We can have the best of both worlds...why just make more attractions of the same property? Variety is what has made DL the world famous success story it is.

Having a TRON related attraction would be successful, regardless of folks opinions on the film series. I think ElecTRONica showed TDA how popular that property is with Guests.
    This should be expanded on in a more permanent way.

It is not about how*successful* or *popular* a IP is anyway....it all comes down to what type of quality experience/attraction the end product in a Park would be.
    Of course these days, it is hard to convince the uppers in Burbank that this is the case.
    They look for opportunities to implement a currant popular IP with a attraction to market strictly for synergy purposes.

There have been several cases where little known properties have been turned into successful, classic attractions..but that happened primarily in the past. Today is it harder then ever to get a budget for a concept in development if there is not some instantly recognizable IP associated with it.

I doubt many would rate *Song of The South* a contender to be the subject matter of a major E-ticket at DL....but look what happened. We saw the creation of Splash Mountain and it has now introduced those characters and stories to generations of people who otherwise may have never had the chance ( in the USA, at least...).

A TRON attraction can also accomplish this.
    Even if a Guest had never seen the films or had a clue about the backstory, getting to ride one of those unique looking Cycles in a properly themed environment similar to those seen in the world of TRON would rightly blow you away.

I voted TRON...all the way. Much better fit for TL in my opinion.
    Last edited by Figments Friend; 10-13-2013 at 12:34 PM.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

Well, that's why Disney has an imagineering department. To use their talents to work through these issues .. which they can.
    But when you are hamstrung to put your creative side in a box and hide the key, because Disney wants franchises pushed ...... then you have the situation that's going on now.

I think we are all better off holding the company to a higher standard .. than throw in the towel, forever.

Well said.

I do not post here much, but i have to say i enjoy reading your posts quite a bit.

• Minion

If the current rumored version of a modified Vekoma bike coaster is in fact true, it'll be those wonderfully uncomfortable seats like PE. I think that's part of why I'm all for a simulator hybrid - you'd be able to tone down the actual movements of the ride by accentuating them with the simulator and hopefully be able to reduce the level of restraints as well.
    So you have to figure 6 bikes in a train. Kind of weakens the feeling of the scene they are trying to replicate.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967
    So, if anyone still has yet to participate in the poll and the chat ... don't tie "too many strings" in your head .. one way or the way .. with Tomorrowland's future direction .. because the fact is ... we don't know - things have a way of changing. And guess what? They do!

At the heart - I'm asking .... what you think looks cooler, and is a better attraction, overall, for this futuristic land called Tomorrowland.
    You do realize how you just contradicted yourself here right?

There's no reason to believe that Tomorrowland will keep a futuristic theme at all.

Let's mix this up a bit. Let's say that the rumor is that Disney wants to change the theme of Tomorrowland to a North Pole Village. The rumor for the Peoplemover track involves a Prep and Landing themed Reindeer Racers ride. Now which one "looks" cooler? A perfectly in-theme-for-the-area Reindeer ride, or the Tron racers?

Tron only works if you believe that the Tomorrowland theme is staying. There's absolutely no reason to believe that.
    If I'm getting tripped up in the way I'm trying to explain this little fun exercise .. I would have thought I was still clear on it's premise:

The land is called Tomorrowland. (It's been established that way for the last 58 years!). Relating to things that do the best job representing it's core theme. You know - the FUTURE. I'm interested in seeing what people have to say, which one of those two do a better job at supporting the land's core/basic theme. (Not getting too tied up in looking at this in a micro-managing sort of way).

In very simple, basic words - The land is Tomorrowland. Now, connect the ride that best supports it.

There's no reason to believe that Tomorrowland will keep a futuristic theme at all.
    Not everyone shares that gloomy prediction for one of DL's original 5 lands. It's been there since day 1 - 1955. Been an integral part of DL for 58 years. And there's reason to believe, it should be there for the next 58 years, and longer.

And by looks of the poll so far .. seems double the amount of people support/agree Tron as a better fit for the land of the future - In a park, that has yet to see a first-ever precedent, in which an entire original land is converted to cover just one franchise.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-13-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

I do want to say thank you to all those who've participated in the poll so far.

As I've said in the beginning .. If you think Star Wars speeder bikes are a better fit for Tomorrowland ... punch it in, and let us know why you think it's better. And if you think Tron Light Cycles are a better fit for Tomorrowland, punch that in, and give us your reason why.

Lots of appreciation!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-14-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast