Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Any New GAC Reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    The point is that Disney does not owe it to anyone to turn the theme park experience into something it's not. If you can't be out and about for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time, that's very sad and unfortunate, but it's not any Disney's (or any other business's) responsibility to make sure you can fit 10 hours' worth of entertainment into those 4.
    Exactly. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires businesses open to the public to ensure that the disabled public is given equal access to all that the business has to offer to the non-disabled public. The business is not required to compensate for the disabled public's disabilities by providing faster, more convenient, more frequent or in any other way more privileged access than it provides to the non-disabled public. The business must provide equal access, not advantage, and certainly not compensatory advantage.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    There are all kinds of disabilities form a broken leg bone to someone dying of a crippling illness. What non disabled people cant grasp is when you are really disabled I mean stuck in a wheelchair and seriously ill is you are weak you dont feel well you body isnt functioning normally etc etc. This isnt about privaledges etc. If you are really ill you may only have enough strength to be out in your chair for 3 or 4 hours maybe less, you cant get stuck in a zigzaging line inbetween metal rails for an hour or more that hour can seem like 10 and sap all your energy or maybe you have to rush to a restroom with little warning etc. waiting around outside a line for a pre set wait time is little better, its better but not much specially if your whole day is limited to 3 hrs and even just sitting around waiting can sap your energy.

Yes I know some will say "if your that sick stay at home" well maybe thats what they have to do 99% of the time and then for that one time they get to go to DL to get out and try and feel good, but being told now to wait around for an hour or more for each ride during your 3 hr visit and also have to deal with forms and photos and stamps etc does not increase your enjoyment of your visit..........
    I apologize, but there seems to be allot of confusion.

You do realize you DO NOT need a DAC to use a wheel chair on rides or attractions.

Every ride has a wheelchair accessible entrance in both parks, weather its and exit or regular entrance. You have NEVER needed a GAC or DAC pass for a wheelchair. And you never will. If you ever need a wheelchair you can rent one from disney for $12 + $20 deposit, I strongly recommend this if you entering the park with a broken leg, ankle etc...

My mom is disabled, and has a wheelchair, we've never used a gac or dac pass and was able to go on all the rides she wanted,

These new rules and regulations only apply to the guests Disney has been accommodating without a wheelchair which they DO NOT have to by law. There doing it to make your experience better, and its not mediatory to use. If you have or need a wheelchair you will just continue as you did in the past.

STRAIGHT FROM DISNEY:"
    Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
    No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

Disney Parks Disability Access Service Card Fact Sheet ¬ę Disney Parks Blog

There are all kinds of disabilities form a broken leg bone to someone dying of a crippling illness. What non disabled people cant grasp is when you are really disabled I mean stuck in a wheelchair and seriously ill is you are weak you dont feel well you body isnt functioning normally etc etc. This isnt about privaledges etc. If you are really ill you may only have enough strength to be out in your chair for 3 or 4 hours maybe less, you cant get stuck in a zigzaging line inbetween metal rails for an hour or more that hour can seem like 10 and sap all your energy or maybe you have to rush to a restroom with little warning etc. waiting around outside a line for a pre set wait time is little better, its better but not much specially if your whole day is limited to 3 hrs and even just sitting around waiting can sap your energy.

Yes I know some will say "if your that sick stay at home" well maybe thats what they have to do 99% of the time and then for that one time they get to go to DL to get out and try and feel good, but being told now to wait around for an hour or more for each ride during your 3 hr visit and also have to deal with forms and photos and stamps etc does not increase your enjoyment of your visit..........

Maybe we will understand better if you explain what your experience with GAC was like. How many rides were you able to go on each visit? If it's more than the three or four you think you will get with DAS, wouldn't that take more physical effort than you would be putting out with DAS?

It seems to me that DAS will give you more options- you can find a spot to rest up if needed between rides, or you can get in a ride with a shorter wait while passing the minutes until your return time. With GAC, you were getting on each ride quickly on arrival, but to have been hitting a higher quantity, you had to be covering more area of the park in a shorter amount of time, right?

• Observer

I think the laws should be changed so that proof is required for your gac or gas card. Or for APs we show it the first time for a year pass. That way no one can fake it.

META ALERT......

Again, PLEASE stay on topic. New DAS (formerly known as GAC) reviews please per OP request, less this falls into an entitlement/rights issue that clearly brings up strong opinions on both sides.

Reviews on the new system is crucial for those who WISH TO MAKE IT WORK for all parties involved. If we cannot maintain the OP request, mods will shut this thread down again, and all those interested in DAS and making the new system work as best as possible lose for all stakeholders.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    I don't understand all the hate for Disney on DAS, hasn't Universal and Knotts been doing this for years?
    Yup, they have. Sea World too.

• Minion

Here is my article I wrote for DAPS Magic. It is what I experienced with the new system on Wed. Hope this helps! A First Experience with the Disability Access Service (DAS) at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    Here is my article I wrote for DAPS Magic. It is what I experienced with the new system on Wed. Hope this helps! A First Experience with the Disability Access Service (DAS) at Disneyland
    Many thanks to the post. Since you're a regular, would love to hear a few updates over the following weeks.

Love the sticker idea for the stroller. That saves so much energy for you! I'm wondering if CMs have the authority to let DAS directly if wait times are minimal to prevent unnecessary travel and energy expenditure.

• Master of Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    your review seems to invalidate everything that Gothic Manner has been complaining about... thinking about "working the system" a little bit here and you realize that at any given time you can have your DAS return time, a fastpass return time, and a return time from a CM at a rides entrance. with careful planning and some time to figure out which rides give out return times at the entrance you could really work the system on arrival at the park. This is great news for the autistic visitors if you ask me!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'll restate the question in any case

I'm really interested in hearing how the rollout's continuing. The now-closed thread had a fairly interesting "disabled-but-not-DAS" style experience that made it sound like things are mostly rolling forward but the CMs are still not 100% on the same page. I have a feeling that'll be a standard experience for a month or so.
    I have a friend there now. She is very happy with the new program. It will weed out the scammers she says. Fortunately, they are a family looking for an even footing, not special treatment.

ADA says reasonable accommodation. It doesn't say special treatment.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires businesses open to the public to ensure that the disabled public is given equal access to all that the business has to offer to the non-disabled public. The business is not required to compensate for the disabled public's disabilities by providing faster, more convenient, more frequent or in any other way more privileged access than it provides to the non-disabled public. The business must provide equal access, not advantage, and certainly not compensatory advantage.
    You hit the nail on the head. DL is required to provide equal access. Not faster or better. Sorry, Gothic Manor.

• Minion

If you are in a wheelchair, there is no need to do the paperwork. If you can only visit for 3 hours, then plan out those 3 hours. I would think trying to cram 10 hours of rides into 3 hours would also be exhausting.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. DL is required to provide equal access. Not faster or better. Sorry, Gothic Manor.
    the problem with the ADA is that all disabled people are not "equal" with eachother or non disabled people and have varying needs. Ironically its big corporations and their lawyers that are going to push the current ADA beyond the limits of its spirit if not the letter of the law and eventually require a new law that will make the corporations even more unhappy, and hopefully trully meet the needs of the disabled.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    ó Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." óWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." óWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." óWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." óWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." óWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense ó has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." óWalt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    If you are in a wheelchair, there is no need to do the paperwork. If you can only visit for 3 hours, then plan out those 3 hours. I would think trying to cram 10 hours of rides into 3 hours would also be exhausting.
    A person in a wheelchair is often not a healthy person sitting in a chair with wheels , they are very ill, weak sick, etc and cannot do the things that others can even while sitting in a chair.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    ó Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." óWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." óWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." óWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." óWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." óWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense ó has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." óWalt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I have a friend there now. She is very happy with the new program. It will weed out the scammers she says. Fortunately, they are a family looking for an even footing, not special treatment.

ADA says reasonable accommodation. It doesn't say special treatment.
    Fact: high traffic day at disneyland is 30,000 guests, fact maximum GAC users on high traffic day for both parks was 2,000 thats about 7% of guests, no how many of the 2,000 gac max users do you think were really disabled or abusers lets take a wild guess and say that its another 7% ( I think its much lower) ok that is 140 possible abusers Thats about 0.45% of all guests that day are abusers, 140 out of 30,000 people!! so because of this the other 93% of real disabled people now have to wait an hour or more per one ride at a time just to make in disneys words "it less attractive for abusers"! plus go thru all the demeaning hoops of the DAS system?

ó Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast