Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[Official] New DAS Reviews?

Has anybody here heard of how day one went or has anybody actually used it?
    Last edited by Nikefutbolero; 10-10-2013 at 10:42 PM.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Re: Any New GAC Reviews?

Imagine your just you, you've been going to Disneyland your whole life, its always been the same experience, you experience pretty much what everyone else does, then one day you when you go everything changes, you have paid the usual price everyone else pays same as usual but you find out you can only stay for only 4 hrs instead of your usual 10 and then you have to leave, then you find out you cant get in the regular stand by lines to get on any ride, but that you have to go to city hall instead first and get in a special line and then be given a id passport where they take your photo and put it on the card with all your personal info and then tell you to proceed with your day of fun you have sign this document stating that you agree to this new policy. then you have to take your id to a kiosk one of four, and request a ride you want to go on, they look up how long the stand by line wait is and give a time maybe an hour maybe 90 mins from now when you can go to that ride. You wait an hour milling around, maybe shopping, then when the time is up you go to that ride and the CM asks you to show your photo id in order to get in, you notice that of the 30,000 other guests no one else has to do any of this they can just it in a line anywhere anytime and dont have to show a special id passport to get in at a specific time, only you and a handful of say a hundred other people, you feel singled out like you arent one of the crowd anymore, you are in a small minority of people being treated differently, a different class, and you have to go thru this process when they dont, if the CM approves that you are you and that it is the appropriate time they stamp/write on it and let you get in the fast pass line, once you have been on your ride you again have to do this all over, but since you are now limited to 4 hrs for your visit you only get to go on 3 rides, and the waiting inbetween time is wearing you out and getting boring, not to mention the tedious traveling back and forth to one of the 4 kiosks and waiting to do this process all over again.

No you havent just entered the Twilight Zone you have just experience the DAS system for disabled people.

I wrote this in the hopes that non disabled people can get an idea of what its like when your disabled and your energy level is so low you can stay for more than 4 hours, and you cant get in regular lines because you just cant withstand it, and how it feels to be treated differently and have to go through different procedures than 99+% of the other people do.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Kudos. Very well written.

• I'm not really here

That hour milling around is the same hour that everyone else is spending stuck in a line. You have the option of waiting in the hour line, or going and enjoying something else in the park and coming back. If you want fair treatment, same as everyone else, then you wait in the line. If you can't wait in the line, then Disney has provided a way for you to not wait, while still not getting to skip it. You can ride another attraction that has less of a line, go get a meal, take in a show, etc.

Since DCA was built to be ADA compliant, when my wife and sister-in-law were in wheelchairs and we went, the CMs at the ride would write down a return time based on current attraction wait time and we'd go do something else and then come back at the time. It worked great. It was wonderfully nice of them to do that. They didn't have to as the DCA lines are ADA compliant. They could make you wait in them, but they didn't. They went above and beyond in offering an option for those who have difficulty waiting in lines. DAS seems to have taken that and standardized it across the resort.

Abuses of the prior system (GAC), specifically people loaning them out, selling, renting them, etc, have lead, sadly, to a need for photo id to be shown to use it. This isn't much different from needing a photo to use your AP or multi-day park ticket. If there were less attempts to game systems, find loopholes, exploit things, etc, then Disney wouldn't be forced into doing things like this. In the end, this all comes back to rest squarely on Disney fans and guests, not on Disney.

DAS should be much better than GAC once the kinks get worked out (roll outs are always a pain). It aligns the system much more consistently with accepted park practices (re FastPass, AP/park tickets) and allows for a more equitable experience between regular park guests and disabled park guests.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Imagine your just you, you've been going to Disneyland your whole life, its always been the same experience, you experience pretty much what everyone else does, then one day you when you go everything changes, you have paid the usual price everyone else pays same as usual but you find out you can only stay for only 4 hrs instead of your usual 10 and then you have to leave...
    Most AP's dont visit for 10 hours straight. 4 is closer to the average.

...then you find out you cant get in the regular stand by lines to get on any ride...
    Any attraction built post-ADA has an accessible standby entrance, as well as some built before it. You're right that companies didn't do such a good job of accommodating people with disabilities before 1990, though. I'm sure that's DAS's fault, too.

...you have to go to city hall instead first and get in a special line and then be given a id passport where they take your photo and put it on the card with all your personal info and then tell you to proceed with your day of fun you have sign this document stating that you agree to this new policy.
    Whoa. You had to stand in a line, have your photo taken, and sign a document? Sounds pretty outrageous and stressful. Oh right that was all voluntary, I forgot.

You wait an hour milling around, maybe shopping...
    Talk about stress! If only you could have been standing in line for that hour instead. That would have been so much more fun.

...then when the time is up you go to that ride and the CM asks you to show your photo id in order to get in, you notice that of the 30,000 other guests no one else has to do any of this they can just it in a line anywhere anytime and dont have to show a special id passport to get in at a specific time, only you and a handful of say a hundred other people, you feel singled out like you arent one of the crowd anymore, you are in a small minority of people being treated differently, a different class, and you have to go thru this process when they dont...
    Whoa! You're telling me that you had to show a piece of paper to enter a FastPass queue, while everyone else can just waltz into any FastPass queue anytime they want without showing anyone anything at all? That is so unfair.

...once you have been on your ride you again have to do this all over, but since you are now limited to 4 hrs for your visit you only get to go on 3 rides, and the waiting inbetween time is wearing you out and getting boring, not to mention the tedious traveling back and forth to one of the 4 kiosks and waiting to do this process all over again.
    Yeah all that waiting and traveling is so boring and tedious. It's so unfair that you have to do that. No one else has to wait to ride. No one else has to travel to a different spot if they want to ride a different ride.

• Blew By You

I'm hoping to read good and bad about DAS. We've decided to wait at least a month or more before returning to Disneyland. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

•   
    • MaliBOOMer

Imagine your just you, you've been going to Disneyland your whole life, its always been the same experience, you experience pretty much what everyone else does, then one day you when you go everything changes, you have paid the usual price everyone else pays same as usual but you find out you can only stay for only 4 hrs instead of your usual 10 and then you have to leave, then you find out you cant get in the regular stand by lines to get on any ride, but that you have to go to city hall instead first and get in a special line and then be given a id passport where they take your photo and put it on the card with all your personal info and then tell you to proceed with your day of fun you have sign this document stating that you agree to this new policy. then you have to take your id to a kiosk one of four, and request a ride you want to go on, they look up how long the stand by line wait is and give a time maybe an hour maybe 90 mins from now when you can go to that ride. You wait an hour milling around, maybe shopping, then when the time is up you go to that ride and the CM asks you to show your photo id in order to get in, you notice that of the 30,000 other guests no one else has to do any of this they can just it in a line anywhere anytime and dont have to show a special id passport to get in at a specific time, only you and a handful of say a hundred other people, you feel singled out like you arent one of the crowd anymore, you are in a small minority of people being treated differently, a different class, and you have to go thru this process when they dont, if the CM approves that you are you and that it is the appropriate time they stamp/write on it and let you get in the fast pass line, once you have been on your ride you again have to do this all over, but since you are now limited to 4 hrs for your visit you only get to go on 3 rides, and the waiting inbetween time is wearing you out and getting boring, not to mention the tedious traveling back and forth to one of the 4 kiosks and waiting to do this process all over again.

No you havent just entered the Twilight Zone you have just experience the DAS system for disabled people.

I wrote this in the hopes that non disabled people can get an idea of what its like when your disabled and your energy level is so low you can stay for more than 4 hours, and you cant get in regular lines because you just cant withstand it, and how it feels to be treated differently and have to go through different procedures than 99+% of the other people do.
    I honestly can't figure out your statement. You can do what every other guest does, you don't have to get a DAS. You don't want to be treated differently? So why not just go through the regular line or get FP? From what I can tell you just explained that DAS would be harder for you than just getting in line like everyone else. So why not just do that?
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• a wind to shake the stars

Yeah, I can't really figure out where you are coming from either. If you don't want to be treated differently you can go through the normal queues like most guests do. If you need a bit of assistance (and I think we all agree that Disney should provide this... everyone deserves a chance to experience Disneyland regardless of their circumstances) to get onto the attractions then by definition you are going to be experiencing something that the majority of guests do not.

Again, the reason you need a picture is to prove that you are the person who initially acquired the pass. This is the same system Disney uses for any pass where they need to know that the person who initially got it is the person using it, including any park pass longer than a single day.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    Has anybody here heard of how day one went or has anybody actually used it?
    I'll restate the question in any case

I'm really interested in hearing how the rollout's continuing. The now-closed thread had a fairly interesting "disabled-but-not-DAS" style experience that made it sound like things are mostly rolling forward but the CMs are still not 100% on the same page. I have a feeling that'll be a standard experience for a month or so.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Evil is Sexy

I'll be going up the week of the 21st with a broken toe. If I decide to use the DAS, I'll be sure to do a report on it. I'm hoping I'll be healed up enough by then that I shouldn't need it. Crutches can do just fine around the park for the most part.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Gold Prospector

I am going to go to Amusement park A. They have a new system in which they provide reasonable accommodations for the disabled. But I am going to form my opinion on what I read online from the amusement park A website and amusement park A fan sites without trying it out first. I will never go there ever again because I don't like how they run their program even though I have never tried it.

Give the DAS a chance!!! It has only been in effect for 2 days. The Walt Disney Company is a leader in accommodations for the disabled. I know from experience, I am a below the knee amputee. Every trip to Disneyland is a happy one because of the way they help include everyone with disabilities. Once again use the DAS before forming your opinion and blasting Disneyland for being “unfair”.
    Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!

I don't understand all the hate for Disney on DAS, hasn't Universal and Knotts been doing this for years?

Change is hard. GAC offered an experience that others wouldn't/couldn't match. Unfortunately, abuse of that system led to necessary changes and an adjustment of that experience.

Disney shouldn't strive to be Knott or Universal---nor does it seem like they are.

Let's hear some reviews of DAS now that it's in place. Give constructive feedback and criticism back to Disney on how to make it better. Disney won't know what it doesn't know

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That hour milling around is the same hour that everyone else is spending stuck in a line. You have the option of waiting in the hour line, or going and enjoying something else in the park and coming back. If you want fair treatment, same as everyone else, then you wait in the line. If you can't wait in the line, then Disney has provided a way for you to not wait, while still not getting to skip it. You can ride another attraction that has less of a line, go get a meal, take in a show, etc.

Since DCA was built to be ADA compliant, when my wife and sister-in-law were in wheelchairs and we went, the CMs at the ride would write down a return time based on current attraction wait time and we'd go do something else and then come back at the time. It worked great. It was wonderfully nice of them to do that. They didn't have to as the DCA lines are ADA compliant. They could make you wait in them, but they didn't. They went above and beyond in offering an option for those who have difficulty waiting in lines. DAS seems to have taken that and standardized it across the resort.

Abuses of the prior system (GAC), specifically people loaning them out, selling, renting them, etc, have lead, sadly, to a need for photo id to be shown to use it. This isn't much different from needing a photo to use your AP or multi-day park ticket. If there were less attempts to game systems, find loopholes, exploit things, etc, then Disney wouldn't be forced into doing things like this. In the end, this all comes back to rest squarely on Disney fans and guests, not on Disney.

DAS should be much better than GAC once the kinks get worked out (roll outs are always a pain). It aligns the system much more consistently with accepted park practices (re FastPass, AP/park tickets) and allows for a more equitable experience between regular park guests and disabled park guests.
    There are all kinds of disabilities form a broken leg bone to someone dying of a crippling illness. What non disabled people cant grasp is when you are really disabled I mean stuck in a wheelchair and seriously ill is you are weak you dont feel well you body isnt functioning normally etc etc. This isnt about privaledges etc. If you are really ill you may only have enough strength to be out in your chair for 3 or 4 hours maybe less, you cant get stuck in a zigzaging line inbetween metal rails for an hour or more that hour can seem like 10 and sap all your energy or maybe you have to rush to a restroom with little warning etc. waiting around outside a line for a pre set wait time is little better, its better but not much specially if your whole day is limited to 3 hrs and even just sitting around waiting can sap your energy.

Yes I know some will say "if your that sick stay at home" well maybe thats what they have to do 99% of the time and then for that one time they get to go to DL to get out and try and feel good, but being told now to wait around for an hour or more for each ride during your 3 hr visit and also have to deal with forms and photos and stamps etc does not increase your enjoyment of your visit..........

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

•   

There are all kinds of disabilities form a broken leg bone to someone dying of a crippling illness. What non disabled people cant grasp is when you are really disabled I mean stuck in a wheelchair and seriously ill is you are weak you dont feel well you body isnt functioning normally etc etc. This isnt about privaledges etc. If you are really ill you may only have enough strength to be out in your chair for 3 or 4 hours maybe less, you cant get stuck in a zigzaging line inbetween metal rails for an hour or more that hour can seem like 10 and sap all your energy or maybe you have to rush to a restroom with little warning etc. waiting around outside a line for a pre set wait time is little better, its better but not much specially if your whole day is limited to 3 hrs and even just sitting around waiting can sap your energy.

Yes I know some will say "if your that sick stay at home" well maybe thats what they have to do 99% of the time and then for that one time they get to go to DL to get out and try and feel good, but being told now to wait around for an hour or more for each ride during your 3 hr visit and also have to deal with forms and photos and stamps etc does not increase your enjoyment of your visit..........
    The point is that Disney does not owe it to anyone to turn the theme park experience into something it's not. If you can't be out and about for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time, that's very sad and unfortunate, but it's not any Disney's (or any other business's) responsibility to make sure you can fit 10 hours' worth of entertainment into those 4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast