Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jog some memory cells

OK, I was doing some memory searches and I seem to remember two exhibits that don't exist anymore (or was it my imagination).

The first memory is of a "future attractions" exhibit on Main Street. My memory says it was close to the entrance about where the streetcar loop heads down Main Street.

The second is an art gallery in NOS. I remember you had to go upstairs to see it. It was quiet like a museum but I remember lots of excellent Disney art.

Are my brain cells playing tricks? This would have been back in the mid 70's.

To keep this thread moving, post your own vague memories here.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Jog some memory cells

The Gallery closed when they made Dream Suite.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

You are correct on both items. There was a preview center on Main Street on the right side of the main entry plaza. I believe this area is part of the Disney Showcase shop now. It was a small space, but it was always my last stop of the way out of the park.

Eventually the preview center moved to the Royal Suite above the Pirates of the Caribbean. Originally this space was going to be a private apartment and was never open to the public. I believe in the 1980's it opened as the Disney Gallery. If I remember correctly, it was a mix of art for sale and various disney memorabilia. Unfortunately, this space was converted to the Dream Suite hotel room several years ago.

Yes the gallery I remember it well as it was my first time seeing that around 1985ish and it was above POC and then moved to the front of the park entrance.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I have and old(er) memory, lots of them actually. Does anyone remember when Innoventions had the Stitch interactive booth? I think it was a booth and there were photos you could take?
    Also when I was a kid there was the Aladdin parade and the giant camel floats actually spit!
    Does anyone remember the shop at the Disneyland hotel that was, I wanna say to the right hand side entering from the parks, and it could have been a temporary location because I think there was construction going on, but it just seemed like this sterile building with souvenirs in it. I got a thread braid in my hair at a little cart just outside the location.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

There's a "comming attractions" small exhibit inside the "Moments with Lincoln" waiting area and the Gallery was moved to the Bank on Main Street. Sometimes during the day they have an artist there doing pencil scketches of characters you can watch and also a cell painting artist as well.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I have and old(er) memory, lots of them actually. Does anyone remember when Innoventions had the Stitch interactive booth? I think it was a booth and there were photos you could take?
    Also when I was a kid there was the Aladdin parade and the giant camel floats actually spit!
    Does anyone remember the shop at the Disneyland hotel that was, I wanna say to the right hand side entering from the parks, and it could have been a temporary location because I think there was construction going on, but it just seemed like this sterile building with souvenirs in it. I got a thread braid in my hair at a little cart just outside the location.
    I miss the Stitch Interactive thing!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• formerly very helpful

A vague memory I have - which for some reason I've attached emotional attachement to - is of a sculpture involving water dropplets at the exit to Adventure Thru Innerspace. I don't know why it means something to me, but for some reason, when I think of this, it represents a combination of my childhood and classic Disneyland.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    A vague memory I have - which for some reason I've attached emotional attachement to - is of a sculpture involving water dropplets at the exit to Adventure Thru Innerspace. I don't know why it means something to me, but for some reason, when I think of this, it represents a combination of my childhood and classic Disneyland.
    It was oil, not water. My parents had a much smaller similar sculpture/fountain in our living room in the early 80's. The one at Disneyland was sponsored by Monsanto.

Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Does anyone remember the Dancing Waters show at the Hotel? Or the underground waterfalls with the koi pond. Or even the remote tug boats?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Yep -- the "fashion fountain" at the exit was an icon of ATIS in its early years. More photos here on Kevin & Jody's blog.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    Does anyone remember the Dancing Waters show at the Hotel? Or the underground waterfalls with the koi pond. Or even the remote tug boats?
    YES!! I remember watching the water show from our balcony and I loved walking in those little grottoes with the fish!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Blew By You

Mazies, Vacaero, Monorail Cafe, Neon Cactus...just a few of the restaurants at the old Disneyland Hotel I can recall.

• Singing Drinker

All of the above. I used to love being able to wander the waterfalls and find quiet, private areas to talk with dates. TALK! Mind out of gutters here. Security, y'know?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I remember the Dancing Waters show. My grandfather spent his vacation at the DH every years after the docs told him he couldn't fly anymore. The family tradition was to go to the park all day, hotel for dinner, dancing waters then fireworks. Good times.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast