Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 66
  1. #46

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    173

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    WDW has less locals, more tourist as their attendance, and vice-versa on this coast, so it makes sense that the numbers here would be higher.
    Is it possible both answers are right, that more healthy locals are just claiming to be disabled?

  2. #47

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    167

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    Is it possible both answers are right, that more healthy locals are just claiming to be disabled?
    I would say there is a very high chance that some people who actually have MILD disabilities could really get by without it

  3. #48

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    14,660

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    I would say there is a very high chance that some people who actually have MILD disabilities could really get by without it
    This^

    Personally, I am deaf in one ear, suffer from sciatic nerve pain off and on, severe panic attacks on occasion (can easily be brought on by large, crushing crowds), my eyes sometimes shut down when things get too intensely bright and my left knee can lock on me if I stand in one spot for too long.

    None of that stops me from skiing, playing full contact hockey or running after a bus I just missed........but if everyone and his brother (and sister, and aunt, and 9 cousins) is going to use minor ailments to game the system one is left with the choice of either waiting in standby lines that simply don't move anymore or joining the ranks of the self-described disabled

    I am very happy Disney finally did something about this and can't see why anyone who is truly disabled would by too unhappy about it since their access should actually improve without all the competition with the so-so disabled (and outright cheats).

    ymmv
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern Arizona
    Posts
    89

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    I sprained my right ankle quite severly and fractured my right foot in August, when I missed the bottom step in my stairwell at home. My ankle sprain has healed for the most part, but I still cannot run on it. However, the fracture is giving me problems, I'm not sure if the bones healed wrong or what exactly is wrong as my doctor did not put me in a cast. But, if I put too much weight on my right foot, or lean to the right, there's a sharp pain and my foot won't hold my weight and I'll trip or fall. I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee when I fell while hiking that I've been dealing with for more than 10 years now. The knee can lock up if I sit too long with my leg in one position or buckle/give out suddenly without warning simply by walking or putting all my weight on it (like when it raising yourself out of some of the ride seats. Space Mountain is the worst!)

    I have a Disneyland trip coming up here for the second week of December, and in all likelyhood I could get a disability pass for all my injuries. However, I refuse to do so because it's something I can manage and deal with since I know what I can and cannot do. If worse comes to worse I will either wear a foot brace or knee brace like I've always done on my trips. I'm glad Disney finally did something about the abuse.

  5. #50

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Troutdale, Oregon
    Posts
    374

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I have a Disneyland trip coming up here for the second week of December, and in all likelyhood I could get a disability pass for all my injuries. However, I refuse to do so because it's something I can manage and deal with since I know what I can and cannot do. If worse comes to worse I will either wear a foot brace or knee brace like I've always done on my trips. I'm glad Disney finally did something about the abuse.
    Ouch! My toes are tingling just thinking of you.

    These injuries take years to heal. Be gentle with yourself. Obviously the braces, but there's no shame in using a wheelchair or ETV at this time with these injuries, or even a DAS pass that lets you get off the concrete. Pushing through an injury increases the chances that it will take longer to heal...

    It's about mixing up the options to make your DLR trip as physically comfortable as possible, and taking good care of yourself. Would love to hear how it works for you.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

  6. #51

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, Out there
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I sprained my right ankle quite severly and fractured my right foot in August, when I missed the bottom step in my stairwell at home. My ankle sprain has healed for the most part, but I still cannot run on it. However, the fracture is giving me problems, I'm not sure if the bones healed wrong or what exactly is wrong as my doctor did not put me in a cast. But, if I put too much weight on my right foot, or lean to the right, there's a sharp pain and my foot won't hold my weight and I'll trip or fall. I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee when I fell while hiking that I've been dealing with for more than 10 years now. The knee can lock up if I sit too long with my leg in one position or buckle/give out suddenly without warning simply by walking or putting all my weight on it (like when it raising yourself out of some of the ride seats. Space Mountain is the worst!)

    I have a Disneyland trip coming up here for the second week of December, and in all likelyhood I could get a disability pass for all my injuries. However, I refuse to do so because it's something I can manage and deal with since I know what I can and cannot do. If worse comes to worse I will either wear a foot brace or knee brace like I've always done on my trips. I'm glad Disney finally did something about the abuse.
    Pinned & plated Tri-malleolar fracture here with 2 post-injury trips to DLR. Just take it easy, frequent rests, & judicious use of pain meds and you'll be OK. I thought of a GAC but just didn't want to 'go there' because I didn't want to be stared at & 'judged' or hear 'comments'. This was my choice, others may feel differently.

    I wore an ankle brace & took my sweet time ambling about. I just made sure I walked far to the side of sidewalks & motioned people past me going up & down stairs (stairs are my biggest problem) so I didn't impede traffic. CMs seemed to notice the brace & gave me that little bit of extra time I needed getting in & out of ride vehicles. On SM I guess I took a wee bit too long loading on my first trip & we were pulled to the side, which was majorly embarrassing! Disembarking wasn't a problem. I seriously think the biggest help was taking a dose of pain meds (even if I wasn't in a lot of pain) and elevating & icing my ankle down every night when we got back to the Grand. I woke up pain and swelling free, ready for another day. Plan to follow the same plan next February during '2 Crazy Girls do Disneyland, Part Deux'. However, that being said, I always tried to keep an open mind as far as the potential need of getting a GAC or mobility vehicle rather than having my trip spoiled by not being able to do everything I wanted or having to drastically shorten my days. Luckily, I managed just fine. I'm sure you will too!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  7. #52

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    So in July I started my 6 days in Disneyland able bodied and by day two was in a wheel chair b/c i got nailed right in the knee with a tram door by some kid anyhoo so after going to the doctors b/c i couldnt put weight on it all and xrays he saw a hair line fracture in my femur and a really bad contusion that caused my knee to swell up like a softball. I wasnt going to cancel my trip. Disney was EXTREMELY nice and comped me a wheel chair and even the nurses would text me when it was time to ice my knee again. But i was confined to a wheel chair for the last 3 days which for people who are in a wheel chair i dont know how you do it! I got stuck in the tracks and flipped over, I got my glasses knocked off a few times by back packs. but we did have to get the DAC card for Disneyland and had to use it a few times in Cars Land but i had absolutely no problem with waiting in the fast pass line. There were people there though who were demanding to be put at the front of the line, especially on space mountain and Indiana Jones.

    There were definetly people taking advantage of the DAC card and even then cast members were as patient as could be. I think the new way is much more controlled and will help make sure people still get on all the rides you basically get Two fast passes at a time now!

  8. #53

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern Arizona
    Posts
    89

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Ouch! My toes are tingling just thinking of you.

    These injuries take years to heal. Be gentle with yourself. Obviously the braces, but there's no shame in using a wheelchair or ETV at this time with these injuries, or even a DAS pass that lets you get off the concrete. Pushing through an injury increases the chances that it will take longer to heal...

    It's about mixing up the options to make your DLR trip as physically comfortable as possible, and taking good care of yourself. Would love to hear how it works for you.
    Oh I've been dealing with my knee injury for quite some time now, and I've sprained the same ankle pretty badly in the past. It's just the unhealed/incorrectly healed fracture that's giving me problems. The sprain is alright, it's just that I can't run through the park to/from rides which is kind of a bummer.

    I'm quite the klutz, I've injured myself more than a dozen different times, all in varying degrees of severity lol...

    Thank you!

  9. #54

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern Arizona
    Posts
    89

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Pinned & plated Tri-malleolar fracture here with 2 post-injury trips to DLR. Just take it easy, frequent rests, & judicious use of pain meds and you'll be OK. I thought of a GAC but just didn't want to 'go there' because I didn't want to be stared at & 'judged' or hear 'comments'. This was my choice, others may feel differently.

    I wore an ankle brace & took my sweet time ambling about. I just made sure I walked far to the side of sidewalks & motioned people past me going up & down stairs (stairs are my biggest problem) so I didn't impede traffic. CMs seemed to notice the brace & gave me that little bit of extra time I needed getting in & out of ride vehicles. On SM I guess I took a wee bit too long loading on my first trip & we were pulled to the side, which was majorly embarrassing! Disembarking wasn't a problem. I seriously think the biggest help was taking a dose of pain meds (even if I wasn't in a lot of pain) and elevating & icing my ankle down every night when we got back to the Grand. I woke up pain and swelling free, ready for another day. Plan to follow the same plan next February during '2 Crazy Girls do Disneyland, Part Deux'. However, that being said, I always tried to keep an open mind as far as the potential need of getting a GAC or mobility vehicle rather than having my trip spoiled by not being able to do everything I wanted or having to drastically shorten my days. Luckily, I managed just fine. I'm sure you will too!
    Wow, you're situation is quite worse than mine! I've been going to Disneyland quite frequently ever since my knee injury, and I even went a few years ago after I sprained my ankle to first time. I always bring a bunch of extra strength ibuprofen and other pain meds for knee, and always pack the knee/foot brace in backpack just in case I need in throughout the day. I'm lucky that the people I always go with understand that I need help getting in/out of some rides, because I have a hard time getting out of a sitting position and then putting all my weight on one knee/foot and pushing myself up. They always make sure they're the ones that'll get out of the ride vehicle first so they can help me up if I need it.

    This trip won't really be much different than any of my other trips, it's just the running from place the place that I'll not be able to do. And that's kind of a bummer, but it is what is it and the people I'm going with understand that. I don't limp or walk slowly and I can do stairs and everything. Nobody would know anything is "wrong" with me and that's why I feel I'd be judged with a GAC and I just don't think my injuries are severe enough to need one.

    I definitely think I'm going to take a page from your book though and ice and elevate my knee when we get back to the hotel room for the night. Not sure what to do about my foot though since it's a bone thing, and not muscle or tendons. Is there anything for bone pain? I'm more concerned about my foot than my knee or ankle.

  10. #55

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    4.1 miles from the magic
    Posts
    824

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    Oh I've been dealing with my knee injury for quite some time now, and I've sprained the same ankle pretty badly in the past. It's just the unhealed/incorrectly healed fracture that's giving me problems. The sprain is alright, it's just that I can't run through the park to/from rides which is kind of a bummer.

    I'm quite the klutz, I've injured myself more than a dozen different times, all in varying degrees of severity lol...

    Thank you!
    Of note, with the new DAS system you do not need a card to avoid stairs! Stairs are difficult for me with a major knee injury paired with wrist surgery that leaves me unable to grab railings, and you can just ask when you get to the stairs to take the elevator and they will let you. Typically this ends up taking about the same time as stairs or sometimes a little longer, but it takes some of the major strain off the knee which will hopefully make the rest of your day easier!

  11. #56

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, Out there
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    I definitely think I'm going to take a page from your book though and ice and elevate my knee when we get back to the hotel room for the night. Not sure what to do about my foot though since it's a bone thing, and not muscle or tendons. Is there anything for bone pain? I'm more concerned about my foot than my knee or ankle.
    Well, Vicodin works for any bone pain I experience in the evening & seems to prevent my waking up the next day with bone pain (and I know what you mean by that. It is different than muscle pain). If I just have muscle/tendon pain Ibuprofen seems to work fine & I usually take Ibuprofen during the day to help prevent swelling from happening in the first place. The icing in the evening takes down any swelling &/or prevents further swelling. It seems to help prevent or ease the bone pain, too. Maybe it numbs the nerves? Since the ankle bones are close to the skin surface maybe the cold temperature gets to the bones? I just elevate the foot on a couple of pillows, put a bag full of ice around it (I bring gallon baggies) for 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for about 45 min-1 hour.

    I know what you mean about friends helping you in & out of ride vehicles. I really like the ones where you enter from one side & exit from the other. They get in first & can give me a steadying hand entering AND exiting. Otherwise it's a steadying hand-hold entering and a hand on the rump for balance exiting LOL LOL.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  12. #57

    • "What? What?"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    470

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Sounds to me like Disneyland fans have bad knees.

    (as I do too)

  13. #58

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern Arizona
    Posts
    89

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Well, Vicodin works for any bone pain I experience in the evening & seems to prevent my waking up the next day with bone pain (and I know what you mean by that. It is different than muscle pain). If I just have muscle/tendon pain Ibuprofen seems to work fine & I usually take Ibuprofen during the day to help prevent swelling from happening in the first place. The icing in the evening takes down any swelling &/or prevents further swelling. It seems to help prevent or ease the bone pain, too. Maybe it numbs the nerves? Since the ankle bones are close to the skin surface maybe the cold temperature gets to the bones? I just elevate the foot on a couple of pillows, put a bag full of ice around it (I bring gallon baggies) for 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for about 45 min-1 hour.

    I know what you mean about friends helping you in & out of ride vehicles. I really like the ones where you enter from one side & exit from the other. They get in first & can give me a steadying hand entering AND exiting. Otherwise it's a steadying hand-hold entering and a hand on the rump for balance exiting LOL LOL.
    That's what I was afraid of, that only prescription pain medication would help with bone pain. I can't take prescription pain pills as they make me incredibly nauseous. I've learned that the hard way throughout my various broken bones and injuries that I can't tolerate that kind of medication. I'd rather deal with the pain than feel nauseous.

    Oh well, I'll just stick to the ibuprofen, icing, elevating and taking frequent breaks like we already tend to do. The rides that are the worse for me to get in/out of is Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. Guess you can add RSR to that as well, as they all have you step up/down to get in/out of the ride vehicle. Haunted Mansion isn't so bad, it's just that I'm sometimes worried that my left knee will buckle will I step out of the car, but it hasn't happend yet *knock on wood* lol!

  14. #59

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern Arizona
    Posts
    89

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    Sounds to me like Disneyland fans have bad knees.

    (as I do too)
    LOL! It does seem that way doesn't it! I'm just a klutz, so that's pretty much how all my injuries have happened. I fit the stereotypical "dumb blonde" image!

  15. #60

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

    I went yestorday to dca I rode almost every ride in not that much time if u olan ur day right u can still do the park like u were able to before. I only got a return time for rsr and screaming.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] How Much power does John Lasseter really have at the DLR?
    By DCAfanatic in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 06:05 PM
  3. It's Back, coming in September... Jackass the Movie, Number Two
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 05:20 PM
  5. how much time do you spend on the mice chat boards?
    By migitmouse88 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •