Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

Don't know the rules on cross board posting, but thought this was worthwhile for those planning to visit DL and anxiety on the DAS issue:

Share your personal experience with the new DAS program at the Disneyland Resort

Check out Post #3 by AVP.

----PLEASE keep this regarding information and experience with DAS and not going Meta.

The real interesting part of the article on MiceChat that I saw was WDW having only 250 CAG passes with x2 the volume vs the 1000s being issued on days when local AP holders have access to the park. I'm sure that I would be an AP given the opportunity for my child, but the disproportionate skew of AP with disabilities is palpable. Disney must have some data along that line beyond DAS changes.

So, for DAS, the significant additional information that I really was happy to see is that Disney has the Readmission Pass. This is the 'way out' that's the case-by-case basis which I applaud Disney on maintaining a step above the industry standard for those with true stamina issues and social context which cannot be controlled in a meaningful/reasonable manner.

My hope is that it doesn't get abused by the select AP/CMs that appears unique to DL, more than WDW.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: DAS - How is it coming? Is AP really the issue

If it isn't the AP than it must be that East Coast residents are just far more healthy and mobile than those living out West
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I think we should remember that many in disabled community have found Disneyland a place that worked for their needs, so it is possible that the California side may have more AP holders that are disabled as opposed to WDW.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Blew By You

It ought not be that simple. Disneyland attendance is more local residents visiting and not tourist driven. So we're not packing to visit Disneyland. But it shouldn't matter, if we visit Disneyland once a month with (or without an AP), or visit once a year. Disney can quantify all the statistics it wants, but still, a visit to Disneyland is a visit.

Clearly a lot more local folk accessing DL than WDW, and if the issuance of CAGs historically is accurate, SoCal AP have a lot of challenges compared to the rest of AP and visitors.

That said, as a non-local, non-AP holder, we still manage to visit yearly and look forward to accessing the DAS program as intended.

Anyone will any real experience with DAS to report? I downloaded a ride time app and surprised to see several rides <10minutes and others in the 15-20min range.

My hope is that DAS will modify that any ride with such short rides will allow for greeting CM to allow in instead of humping it to the kiosks all the time. -- perhaps I should get some heelies.

• Rock Star Minion

Answer: Yes, the existence of the AP Program is the issue. As it is for all Disneyland issues.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Answer: Yes, the existence of the AP Program is the issue. As it is for all Disneyland issues.
    I think in this particular case you may be confusing a symptom with the disease.

A lot of DL's attendance has historically been local revisits rather than tourist first or very infrequent tourist revists. Considering the basic percentage of people in the general population with disabilities that would require a GAC/DAS hasn't really changed over the years, there would be a level of DAS disparity based only on the basic fact that the number of repeat visits from DAS users would be higher at DL - every visit of which would tick the number of passes issued upwards.

There's nothing specific about an AP that would tag it as a lure for a disabled person any more than it would a non-disabled.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

There is only one way to find out.

If I'm wrong, they can reintroduce them.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    There's nothing specific about an AP that would tag it as a lure for a disabled person any more than it would a non-disabled.
    Not necessarily a tag but there are many AP's that frequent the parks on a regular basis and learned how to manipulate the system, even if they didn't really need the old GAC. So yes, theoretically the AP's could have been a big part of the issue purely because they are a larger % of the guests here versus WDW. Not saying that's accurate but it's surely a possibility.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Not necessarily a tag but there are many AP's that frequent the parks on a regular basis and learned how to manipulate the system, even if they didn't really need the old GAC. So yes, theoretically the AP's could have been a big part of the issue purely because they are a larger % of the guests here versus WDW. Not saying that's accurate but it's surely a possibility.
    I'm not saying APs brutalizing the system wouldn't have inflated the numbers - just that the basic attendance patterns predating the surge of local APs would produce a fairly radical disparity between the parks. Disneyland by virtue of being a locals park with a high volume of visitors attending multiple times a year is going to have a higher volume of DAS passes issued from that standpoint - every DAS-assisted revisit is another click, AP or full price media. WDW just doesn't get the same level of repeat visits.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Rock Star Minion

It's the AP Program that facilitates the multiple visits. So....

Actually, since it's a local park, driving there is not as big of a hassle for a disabled person than it is to fly to Florida from everywhere else in the country, stay in a hotel, etc.,
    20 million locally (Ventura County to San Diego County) vs 2 million locally in Orlando. That accounts for a tenfold difference, which is about the difference in GAC's issued.

Yes, disabled people do travel to places. Let's assume the distribution is about even between the two resorts.

So, the obvious solution is to move Disneyland to Montana.
    Last edited by sediment; 10-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.

"10,000 people out of an average Friday’s combined two-park attendance of 75,000 visitors is roaming the parks using a GAC" when the AP is in effect; the numbers are much lower on Non-AP days and nearly comparable to WDW it seems, so it's a local phenomena that's driving the issue.

It appears the CAG only magnified the issue due to abuse by local APs .

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if the new systems in place will dissuade the abusive practices.

Any AP holders accessing the program yesterday or today? Would love to hear your take on it. Good/Bad/Ugly. I'm hopeful that Disney isn't throwing out the baby here.

Bumping this to hopefully continue seeing reviews on how DAS is coming along and good/bad/ugly and how to avoid the pitfalls that occur (and how Disney may improve upon it).

Please DO NOT get into a conversation of merits of the system or personal attacks. Two threads already closed down and WE ALL LOSE WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE OF THE NEW SYSTEM.

Let's help each other improve on what's here and now.

If you're on FB, you can visit the DL page and there are a couple reviews. One is a very positive review from DL, another says CMs were confused about the procedures, but they visited WDW and posted on the wrong page.

And then there are a bunch of complaints from people who aren't affected by the policy anyway, but they "know someone", complaining about the new program before it took effect.

From DL's FB page: "Pleased as punch with the new system for accommodating those with special needs in the park! My family was in the park today with my youngest who has a form of muscular dystrophy and requires special care. After news of the changes spread in the Special Needs Community, I'll admit there was some trepidation about the new changes ruining our Disney experience. We found that really all that was required was some extra planning on our part in scheduling our day. We were able to do all the rides we aimed to, were met by very eager and helpful cast members along the way and all-around enjoyed a magical day in one of our family's favorite places. Thank you!"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast