Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Oh, no! Not the ewoks!!

Ewoks are badass

• Heavy Breather

I still think after all these years, ET is one of the most expressive puppet/animatronics out on screen.

• I'm from Canada eh!

The Ewoks are far form Lurdo's. I never had an issue with them, nor did I understand the hate that they generated.

• formerly very helpful

I'm guessing that poeple didn't like them, and their hate intensified since the Ewoks, and ROTJ marks a shift in the Star Wars movies to more family friendly fare. That said, I'd much rather see the Ewoks in Disneyland than Marvel super heroes. Not trying to restart that debate. Just my feelings.

• Artistic integrity

But we can think of other Star Wars worlds that look more exciting .. worthy of DLR's limited amount of space ... to a series of straw and tree branch huts hanging midpoint from tree to tree.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...wokvillage.jpg

Welcome to your new views in and around the submarine voyage, and Monorail!

I can see more clearly now .. if this is what they have in mind .. why execs are pushing for this:

Shouldn't cost too much to build!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 10-11-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Ewoks for life. I loved the Ewok movie as a kid. This new Speeder Bike Ride through the Endor Moon is going to be the greatest thing ever. Tomorrowland has been dead to me since they took out the people mover. I welcome the change to Star Wars Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    The Ewoks are far form Lurdo's. I never had an issue with them, nor did I understand the hate that they generated.
    This^

Kids will love the Ewoks, they will be a major hit with guests.

• Planning my next trip

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I've never found the Ewoks cute so they never bothered me (look at their faces, eesh -- wookies are cuter). And the Ewoks didn't bring down the Empire, they only caused, at most, a distraction so the rebels could destroy the shield generator.

Now if I never saw Salacious Crumb again in my life I wouldn't complain...
    Agreed.

They were losing that fight until Chewbacca commandeered the AT-ST.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I do feel apprehensive about Star Wars taking over Tomorrowland, but hey, haven't we all been trying to get to Endor ever since 1987 and Captain Rex led us astray?
    Bravo

• Non-Minion

I grew up on the original trilogy and loved every single one of them, I was born in 81 so maybe that's why? The ewoks never seemed out of place to me and I loved them, in fact, one of my all time favorite stuffed animals was a Wicket ewok where you could take his cowl off. My uncle gave it to me and I never let it go...

I agree with bigcatrik on this one as well. They provided the distraction to allow the team to destroy the shield generator, not too mention we never knew how many ewoks there were on Endor. Could've been thousands! Also, it's worth mentioning that George Lucas originally had planned to have that battle be on the Wookie home planet of Kashyyk instead of Endor but he loved the species so much and was unsure that he would ever get to tell the ENTIRE story so he chose to have at least one Wookie in the first movie. So for ROTJ he just made mini Wookies and called them Ewoks.

I also like the fact that with all the "advanced" weapons that the Empire had they were still not enough for the "guerilla" type warefare that the Ewoks used. Yeah they had helmets on, but even so, getting hit by a rock is still going to disorient you long enough for someone to move in and do some damage. Oh and I'm sure those booby traps were already set up, it was their planet and I'm sure they had some sort of way of defending themselves.

-nerd rant over
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    And how in hell did they win that fight with the stormtroopers? How are bows and arrows better weapons than blasters? How does a rock hurt someone wearing a helmet? How does a spear go through armor? How did they set up those booby traps so fast? They did it in about ten minutes! A squad of twenty troopers could've wiped out that whole village before lunch. Or they could've dropped a bomb on the village and wiped it out in one minute flat; why didn't the troppers call in air support? Were they afraid of hurting the trees?
    Well, if we're going to go into it... a heavy object impacting your helmet from above can cause compression fractures in your spine (helmets do nothing to protect vertical motion of the spinal column). Football players, despite wearing helmets, routinely get knocked out and get very damaging concussions from head impacts. A helmet only protects your skin and skull bones from breaking, it doesn't protect from injuries relating to inertia.

Armor is not some "stop everything" magic vest that you wear. Armor must be designed with a specific purpose in mind. By the look of it, the storm troopers armor is an ablative ceramic material. It is designed to absorb high energy and flake off. The weapon it is most likely designed to stop is energy pulse weapons, like a blaster. Though film evidence shows it does a poor job at this as well leaving me with the conclusion that it is merely for effect and not real armor. That said, a sharpened point projectile weapon wouldn't have much difficulty piercing armor designed to ablate energy weapons.

Some of those booby traps were more than likely already set up as a defense of their village. If not, then it's a movie and not meant to be taken quite so literally. The only one that appears specifically tailored to the AT-ST Walker is the two logs swinging down and hitting it. Considering that their village is built entirely of logs, they probably have a pile of them sitting around for repairs. Taking two of them and hoisting them up a tree would probably be the work of an hour or so.

Sun Tzu would disagree with you about the Ewoks not being able to take out the Stormtroopers. The element of surprise is formidable in battle, as is having the enemy completely disregard you and underestimate you. Pride in one's own fighting force has been deadly to many armies over the millennia. This is why no bombs were dropped on their village before hand. Dropping one during the battle wouldn't have made any sense as their was no clear and separate Ewok "position." The forces were entangled quite significantly and the bombing of Ewoks would have been the bombing of Imperial forces as well. Not to mention proximity to the shield generator and the risk of causing damage to it.

Ewoks are actually mentioned in the end credits for Episode 6.

Totally respect you not liking the Ewoks. That's cool. I think they're fine to have around. Regardless of their intentions upon their initial meeting with the leads, they become friends and adopt them into their tribe and help them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Well, if we're going to go into it... a heavy object impacting your helmet from above can cause compression fractures in your spine (helmets do nothing to protect vertical motion of the spinal column). Football players, despite wearing helmets, routinely get knocked out and get very damaging concussions from head impacts. A helmet only protects your skin and skull bones from breaking, it doesn't protect from injuries relating to inertia.

Armor is not some "stop everything" magic vest that you wear. Armor must be designed with a specific purpose in mind. By the look of it, the storm troopers armor is an ablative ceramic material. It is designed to absorb high energy and flake off. The weapon it is most likely designed to stop is energy pulse weapons, like a blaster. Though film evidence shows it does a poor job at this as well leaving me with the conclusion that it is merely for effect and not real armor. That said, a sharpened point projectile weapon wouldn't have much difficulty piercing armor designed to ablate energy weapons.

Some of those booby traps were more than likely already set up as a defense of their village. If not, then it's a movie and not meant to be taken quite so literally. The only one that appears specifically tailored to the AT-ST Walker is the two logs swinging down and hitting it. Considering that their village is built entirely of logs, they probably have a pile of them sitting around for repairs. Taking two of them and hoisting them up a tree would probably be the work of an hour or so.

Sun Tzu would disagree with you about the Ewoks not being able to take out the Stormtroopers. The element of surprise is formidable in battle, as is having the enemy completely disregard you and underestimate you. Pride in one's own fighting force has been deadly to many armies over the millennia. This is why no bombs were dropped on their village before hand. Dropping one during the battle wouldn't have made any sense as their was no clear and separate Ewok "position." The forces were entangled quite significantly and the bombing of Ewoks would have been the bombing of Imperial forces as well. Not to mention proximity to the shield generator and the risk of causing damage to it.

Ewoks are actually mentioned in the end credits for Episode 6.

Totally respect you not liking the Ewoks. That's cool. I think they're fine to have around. Regardless of their intentions upon their initial meeting with the leads, they become friends and adopt them into their tribe and help them.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Foolish Mortal

I had the Ewok Village toy and Ewok figures as a youngster! They should turn Innoventions into a life size Ewok Village!!! j/k.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

For those who never quite got what Mr Kurtz's (Heart of Darkness) final words were referring to.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1tZmGvFfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXKKKFQWH9k
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 10-11-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Former Churro Jockey

Okay, so I hate the idea of Star Wars in Tomorrowland, but IF they're going to do it, then I have no problem with Ewoks. I don't hate or love them, they're just kind of there. Yes, you have to overlook the fact that they would get massacred in a real fight against Stormtroopers when you watch ROTJ, but that doesn't affect any potential ride. So if we must have Star Wars in Tomorrowland, then riding on a speeder bike racing through Endor does actually sound like a lot of fun.

Oh, and as someone else pointed out, Ewoks have already been in Tomorrowland since the first Star Tours, so that's not really anything new.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast