Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Oh, no! Not the ewoks!!

I learned the other day, to my horror, that there may be Ewoks in Tomorrowland in a few years.

I CAN'T STAND THE EWOKS! They were my least favorite part of Ep 6. I cringe whenever Lucas does cute. (Young Anakin in Ep 1 was too cute.) It's not just that they're like teddy bears, it's that they are ridiculous. Their faces don't move; they're so obviously masks. They're creepy; they were planning to EAT Han, Chewbacca and Luke! And how in hell did they win that fight with the stormtroopers? How are bows and arrows better weapons than blasters? How does a rock hurt someone wearing a helmet? How does a spear go through armor? How did they set up those booby traps so fast? They did it in about ten minutes! A squad of twenty troopers could've wiped out that whole village before lunch. Or they could've dropped a bomb on the village and wiped it out in one minute flat; why didn't the troppers call in air support? Were they afraid of hurting the trees?

Okay, I'm done. Do you agree or disagree? Is this the greatest thing Disney can do to the DLR, or will you close your eyes when your speeder bike passes through Endor?

BTW: Did you know that the name "Ewok" is never used in the movie? Only in the publicity were we told their name. And there was a cartoon series and a made-for-TV movie with the name in the titles.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Oh, no! Not the ewoks!!

I have to admit they weren't my favorite part of the movie, but I'm not as against them as many are. That said, I don't have a problem with the Ewoks being in Disneyland any more than any Star Wars stuff. They are family friendly and would work well for Disneyland. That said, I'd love if they put in some original Star Wars environments. It would almost be like a compromise between revisiting what we've seen before, and being original. There's countless environments in the Star Wars universe to explore. Why limit it to what's been in the movies?

• Seeker of Fun

The thing that kind of entices me towards to the Star Wars Tomorrowland, is the fact that it's still futuristic. As it exists now, much of Tomorrowland is dated.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• keh!

Well, that was a healthy rant.

I'm neutral on the idea of Ewok characters in Tomorrowland. But changing a major part of TL to Star Wars, no thanks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    Well, that was a healthy rant.

I'm neutral on the idea of Ewok characters in Tomorrowland. But changing a major part of TL to Star Wars, no thanks.
    this

Ewoks = merchandise. Hence the sole purpose of the Star Wars makeover.... merchandise sales.

• Queen Elsa

I like the Ewoks so I welcome them to Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    Ewoks = merchandise. Hence the sole purpose of the Star Wars makeover.... merchandise sales.
    Sadly, I think you're right.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Unhelpful User

How I Met Your Mother did an episode on the Ewok rule, that if you were over a certain age when Return of the Jedi came out you hated the Ewoks, but everyone under likes em fine. I was born several years after Jedi so Ive never had an issue, just recently learnt some older folks think theyre the Jar Jar of the original trilogy.
    But really, you can't complain about something being too cutesy in Disneyland, can you?

• Evil is Sexy

I was born in 1980. I HATE the Ewoks. I didn't know it at the time. I was a kid. As I got older and rewatched the movies, my developed brain finally understood... and I LOATHED them.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Are they planning to make the ewoks huge? I can't really seeing ewoks being at Disneyland based on their size. I know there is a rumor of wookies (Chewbacca) and that is more doable because you an always have somewhere wear a suit that makes them taller rather than wear suit that makes them as small as children.

• Heavy Breather

I don't hate the Ewoks, the same way I don't hate the "Gungans" as a race. Notice I said Gungans and not Jar Jar. I grew up watching the original trilogy first, and then the prequels.

As a kid I didn't mind Jar Jar, my family and I make fun of him all the time with phrases like "You'sa in big doo doo dis time". As I got older, I began to dislike Jar Jar due to the fact that he adds nothing to Episode I (as if that movie contributed anything). All he does is act all silly for the kids and make poop jokes.

Now the Ewoks I always liked. I loved them as a kid, and I love them now. I never found them annoying or disruptive. That and Warwick Davis was a great Ewok. They always reminded me of dogs the way they tilt their heads side to side when curious. Some people may argue that it is silly for the Empire to be defeated by a bunch of fur balls with sticks. But I don't mind. I could go on for hours. But I'll spare all of you the blunt of my rant. That being said, I don't see anywhere thematically correct to place the Ewoks. Maybe they could say they traveled from Endor on Star Tours or something (shrug). I don't know.

I was seven when I saw Return of the Jedi during it's inital release. I loved the Ewoks. I remember the collective "Awww" in the theater when Wickett first appeared on the screen.
    I seemed to recall the Random House movie storybook said that the Imperials had somehow conveyed to the Ewoks that the Rebals were the enemy. So the Ewoks, would have wanted Luke, Han, and the others dead. And being carniverous (assumption) they probably figured they would taste good too. Good thing C-3PO was there! ( Can't find my copy to check this.)
    Another interesting Ewok tidbit :George Lucus tried to keep images of the Ewoks secret. I have merchandise catalogs and some action figure cards with the Ewok images blacked out. Oh how things have changed!

• Minion

I've never found the Ewoks cute so they never bothered me (look at their faces, eesh -- wookies are cuter). And the Ewoks didn't bring down the Empire, they only caused, at most, a distraction so the rebels could destroy the shield generator.

Now if I never saw Salacious Crumb again in my life I wouldn't complain...

I had some Ewok merch when I was a tot. A plush, I think, and a book or two based on the (probably direct-to-video) movie in which two very 80s-looking kids get lost on Endor. Because of this, I grew up liking them by default. Plus, the Star Wars trilogy were some of the only "grown up" videos we owned that I was allowed to watch when I was very young. I still think they're cute, in that bad special effects kind of way. Kind of like how E.T.'s face wasn't very expressive, but at least it looked better than the cartoony CGI overlay they threw on it for the re-release. From what I've read, Return of the Jedi was criticized in its time by some who thought the Ewoks were too commercial and appealed to the lowest denominator (read: preschool kids), and I know they had a valid point. I guess it's just nostalgia on my part...

I do feel apprehensive about Star Wars taking over Tomorrowland, but hey, haven't we all been trying to get to Endor ever since 1987 and Captain Rex led us astray?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast