• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Disabled wheelchair user with Haunted Mansion experience during Halloween Party?

Are there are any disabled people who must stay in there wheelchair out there with actual experience of how they are handling the Haunted Mansion during a Halloween Party night? (or HM CM's for that matter that work during the party)

The reason I am asking is normally at any time in the past wheelchair bound guests that have to stay in them all the way to the doombuggies (not those that can then leave the chairs outside and walk in) would go up to the wheelchair area where they put in a line of wheelchairs to get in, during slow times you either dont have to wait or you wait for the people ahead of you in wheelchairs that have to stay in them all the way to the doombuggies. But on busy times like during the Halloween party that wait time can be pretty long up to 30 mins. This is because they can only let like 3 wheelchairs go all the way in at a time. (Pirates is similar).

I would assume during the longer lines of halloween time that they use the new DAS (no comment) at the Mansion during the Halloween Party, this would mean waiting to a DAS, then waiting to get a Mansion access time of maybe more than an hour (based on standby line time) and after waiting for that they say you are supposed to wait in the fast pass line which is usually from the gate to the front steps. Now the regular non disabled fast pass people can just go in in stages at that point but I assume the wheelchair bound people have to go to the wheelchair waiting area and wait there for what can be a long time with all the more than usual number of wheelchairs for such an event.

Is this how they are doing and what sort of wait times are people experience for 1. DAS 2. wait time to get into mansion (line) 3. fast pass line wait time with DAS and 4. wait time at wheelchair area.

Again this is only for disabled people who are in wheelchairs but cannot get out of wheelchairs and have to take them all the way to the doombuggies only.

thanks.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    Ś Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." ŚWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." ŚWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." ŚWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." ŚWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." ŚWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense Ś has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." ŚWalt Disney

• SORCERER

Re: Disabled wheelchair user with Haunted Mansion experience during Halloween Party?

You will enter just as you previously did. a DAC will not be required:

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
      No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

• Batman with a Gun

Bel Air, California, United States, United States

Re: Disabled wheelchair user with Haunted Mansion experience during Halloween Party?

So you are asking these questions after cancelling your AP and after sending a complaint to the ACLU?

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    You will enter just as you previously did. a DAC will not be required:

• Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
      No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.
    Correct. This quote comes from the official fact sheet on the Disney Parks blog relating to DAS: Disney Parks Disability Access Service Card Fact Sheet ┬ź Disney Parks Blog

The Haunted Mansion does fall under the category of attractions listed above, where a guest using a wheelchair receives a return time. When they come back to the attraction, there is a small wait because of the number of guests using wheelchairs that can be inside the attraction at any time.

So even though you are waiting in line, by receiving a return time you are not physically waiting in the line. This is actually super helpful during Halloween Parties, since once you receive a return time you can go and get candy
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• #bringevilback

Also, they have not yet been using FP, so there is no mixture of lines that might extend your wait time

Hey Gothic Manor,
    Everyone here on MC understands your not happy with the change from GAC to DAS. However, your constant attempts to search out flaws only make you sound like one of the people that the new system was attempting to thwart. I am certain that this is not the case. So my advice to you is go to the park and assess the situation yourself. Then you can make a decision on the merits of DAS and inform Park management through City Hall or in writing of the problems you may be encountering.

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    Correct. This quote comes from the official fact sheet on the Disney Parks blog relating to DAS: Disney Parks Disability Access Service Card Fact Sheet ┬ź Disney Parks Blog

The Haunted Mansion does fall under the category of attractions listed above, where a guest using a wheelchair receives a return time. When they come back to the attraction, there is a small wait because of the number of guests using wheelchairs that can be inside the attraction at any time.

So even though you are waiting in line, by receiving a return time you are not physically waiting in the line. This is actually super helpful during Halloween Parties, since once you receive a return time you can go and get candy
    Just to clarify this are you saying that to ride HM during Halloween Party and your in a wheelchair and have to use it all the way to the doombuggies that you DO NOT need a DAS you just to the HM entrance and get a return wait time card of some kind? Has anyone done this? How long was the wait time they gave you?

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    Ś Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." ŚWalt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." ŚWalt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." ŚWalt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." ŚWalt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." ŚWalt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense Ś has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." ŚWalt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    Hey Gothic Manor,
    Everyone here on MC understands your not happy with the change from GAC to DAS. However, your constant attempts to search out flaws only make you sound like one of the people that the new system was attempting to thwart. I am certain that this is not the case. So my advice to you is go to the park and assess the situation yourself. Then you can make a decision on the merits of DAS and inform Park management through City Hall or in writing of the problems you may be encountering.
    This was a general question to help anyone trying to go to the mansion during the party that is disabled. I see no reason to be personal about this as I am not being personal about it. It really is no one business whatsoever what my plans are but here is why I am personally interested for those that seem to be so concerned about my personal plans, Yes my AP expired a month a go and I am not renewing till they cancel DAS or radically change it. However I did buy one ticket for the Halloween Party for late Oct and it was my plan for this to be my "farewell" visit to DL after 50 yrs of going to the park, since halloween and the mansion are my favorite things I was only going to go on the Mansion once as the only ride I was going to go on on my party visit since I can only be there for 3 hrs. I hope this satisfies anyones curiosity as to my personal plans and motives!

Ś Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Also, they have not yet been using FP, so there is no mixture of lines that might extend your wait time
    They often do shut down the FP line when the mansion gets too crowded, odd but they do do that.

Ś Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by M3wThr33 View Post
    So you are asking these questions after cancelling your AP and after sending a complaint to the ACLU?
    This was a general question to help anyone trying to go to the mansion during the party that is disabled. I see no reason to be personal about this as I am not being personal about it. It really is no one business whatsoever what my plans are but here is why I am personally interested for those that seem to be so concerned about my personal plans, Yes my AP expired a month a go and I am not renewing till they cancel DAS or radically change it. However I did buy one ticket for the Halloween Party for late Oct but this purchase was BEFORE I heard of the DAS and it was my plan for this to be my "farewell" visit to DL after 50 yrs of going to the park, since halloween and the mansion are my favorite things I was only going to go on the Mansion once as the only ride I was going to go on on my party visit since I can only be there for 3 hrs. So I am trying to see what hoops they want me to "jump" thru to get on the mansion this one last time, I have even considered trying to get a refund for the ticked or just going and not going on any ride rather than being subjected to the DAS and having to sign that I agree with a document that I do not agree with, just sit in my wheelchair outside the mansion and look at it one last time rather than use the DAS. I hope this satisfies anyones curiosity as to my personal plans and motives!

Ś Walt Disney

• Indiana Scott

One does not have to "sign that I agree with a document that I do not agree with".
    One is asked to sign that they understand the rules and conditions of DAC.

Also as someone pointed out in another thread, people in wheel chairs don't automatically have to get a DAC. They can use the WC entrances that are provided at every ride in DL.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, let's not end up where we did yesterday with the previous thread on DAS. It's important that the DAS questions are addressed, and those who head for personal attacks in the back-and-forth between members, will find themselves removed from the conversation, and perhaps facing a cost for their behavior.

Keep it respectful. Keep it on topic. Lose any personal asides or attacks. This is a conversation we are capable of having. If it's too much for you to put on your grown-up hat, then do not post in this thread.

Thanks for your understanding and for your follow-through going forward!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ś Ernest Thompson Seton