Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rides?

    The Zombie Apocalypse is here! And has now spread to Disneyland!

    They can be seen everywhere now even driving cars! Those mindless oblivious zombies, face down staring blankly, wandering aimlessly stumbling into people and things as they shuffle around, you seem them everywhere even at Disneyland. And now they have invaded the rides themselves, you can seem them on pirates, you can seem them in the Mansion and on the Doombuggies an unearthly glow illuminating their blank faces and lifeless eyes, where instead of enjoying and experiencing what is around them they would rather text about it or more likely the latest insipid celeb news. I have even witnessed a dad zombie reading the song lyrics of pirates on the ride from in the boat from his glowing zombie device holding it up so its glow blinded the people behind in the dark, to his zombie kids instead of actually listening to the song and signing along with it! If they are going to be lifeless and "not there" then maybe they shouldn't be there at all.

    Any comments?

    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney



    "Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

    "I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

    "The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

    "I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

    "I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

    "Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

    "Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney




  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lancaster, CA
    Posts
    157

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    It's sad that people can't unplug for a day. Granted my husband doesn't turn his phone off while we're there but he doesn't spend the whole time texting or calling. He uses the Disneyland App for wait times and maybe browses or posts a note about something we just saw while in line but that's it. Sometimes we use texts to say "hey, meet you at Pirates" or whatever if we decide to do different things, we have a 5 year old, sometimes mommy or daddy wants a quick break. But to be constantly attached to it so that you don't even acknowledge or enjoy your surroundings is sad.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    418

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    It's sad that people can't unplug for a day. Granted my husband doesn't turn his phone off while we're there but he doesn't spend the whole time texting or calling. He uses the Disneyland App for wait times and maybe browses or posts a note about something we just saw while in line but that's it. Sometimes we use texts to say "hey, meet you at Pirates" or whatever if we decide to do different things, we have a 5 year old, sometimes mommy or daddy wants a quick break. But to be constantly attached to it so that you don't even acknowledge or enjoy your surroundings is sad.

    When at the parks I use my phone to use the disneyland apps.... and to call my house sitter to make sure all is good. other than that its off

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    225

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    I take pictures of them. Is that wrong? I have pictures of entire families (large families even), sitting down for dinner in the Plaza Inn, everyone face down. I have pictures of large groups standing in lines, face down. I just find it infinitely interesting. My most recent (and controversial) picture was of a tiny finger reaching out of a stroller to play some iphone game, mom completely distracted. Its a really sad statement.
    Last edited by oodelally; 10-11-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: grammar

  5. #5

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin999 View Post
    It's sad that people can't unplug for a day. Granted my husband doesn't turn his phone off while we're there but he doesn't spend the whole time texting or calling. He uses the Disneyland App for wait times and maybe browses or posts a note about something we just saw while in line but that's it. Sometimes we use texts to say "hey, meet you at Pirates" or whatever if we decide to do different things, we have a 5 year old, sometimes mommy or daddy wants a quick break. But to be constantly attached to it so that you don't even acknowledge or enjoy your surroundings is sad.
    Yeah at the Mansion recently I saw (admitedly they were 3 teen girls) with their faces in their phones the WHOLE time from line thru the mansion on the doombuggies etc not once looking up or acknowledging their surroundings .... I guess this is our future..

    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney



    "Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

    "I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

    "The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

    "I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

    "I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

    "Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

    "Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney




  6. #6

    • Non-Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    435

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    To me its become one of the worst epidemics to hit the park, I remember as a kid going to the parks in the 80's and early-mid 90's (when cell phones were only for the elite) seemed more enjoyable because everyone seemed SOCIAL. These days it just seems like a mindless shuffle from the start of the line to the ride and once the ride is done back on the grind. Why instagram and facebook your experience when in actuality all you're doing is missing EVERYTHING. A lot of it comes from the constant need to feed ones ego or their constant need for attention. It truely is sad that this is what our society now is. You miss living in the actual moment only to tweet/instagram/facebook it for everyone else.

    When we go, my phone is off unless its absolutely needed. I don't want to be that person. ever. i want to enjoy every second there without the constant need to "share" it with everyone else, consider me selfish
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"





  7. #7

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    To me its become one of the worst epidemics to hit the park, I remember as a kid going to the parks in the 80's and early-mid 90's (when cell phones were only for the elite) seemed more enjoyable because everyone seemed SOCIAL. These days it just seems like a mindless shuffle from the start of the line to the ride and once the ride is done back on the grind. Why instagram and facebook your experience when in actuality all you're doing is missing EVERYTHING. A lot of it comes from the constant need to feed ones ego or their constant need for attention. It truely is sad that this is what our society now is. You miss living in the actual moment only to tweet/instagram/facebook it for everyone else.

    When we go, my phone is off unless its absolutely needed. I don't want to be that person. ever. i want to enjoy every second there without the constant need to "share" it with everyone else, consider me selfish
    Exactly!!

    remember those tamagoochi virtual creatures you fed to keep happy were a craze? Now WE have become the tamagoochi creatures feeding our own "happiness" virtually!!! Madness!

    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney



    "Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

    "I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

    "The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

    "I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

    "I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

    "Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

    "Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney




  8. #8

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Every time I see something like that in the parks I thank god that I just barely missed that when I worked at the park. I had a hard enough time as it was pushing heavy dollys full of stock through the parks and having people mindlessly step in front of me that I had to dodge. I'm sure it's a thousand time worse now with everyone having their heads buried in their smart phones. When I worked there cell phones didn't work at all in the parks so I never even had to deal with people walking and talking on their phones. The biggest problem we ever had was when a family would try to bring walkie talkies to the park so that they can communicate with each other. Inevitably, they would be on the same frequency as one that a department at Disney uses, and we'd have to ask them not to use their walkie talkies in the park.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

  9. #9

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    15,190

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Makes one misty-eyed for the days when people lugged these onto the rides.......

    http://homepages.dordt.edu/ddeboer/B...r_8_Camera.jpg
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  10. #10

    • Singing Drinker
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,167

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    It's been an ongoing problem since they first came out with portable TVs. I clearly remember watching some neanderthal in line backhand his significant other for daring interrupt him while he watched the Superbowl on his handheld back about fifteen years ago. Before that you'd see the occasional walkman or such, even back into the seventies and earlier you'd see portable radios, usually for the sports nuts.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    I have never understood why it bother people so much. What's the difference between reading a book, taking pictures with a camera which is a electronics device, using a cell phone, a radio or anything else for that matter. Should we outlaw everything? I myself use my cell phone for a lot of things in life (Take pictures, read books, look up something I can't remmeber, call my GF, text a friend look up the weather). It is the way it is and i don't think it should really interfere with someone else life one bit what i do in the park. How one person enjoys life is different than the other. Just because people or me in this case use their devices at disneyland doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the atmosphere. Just my opinion.

  12. #12

    • Singing Drinker
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,167

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I have never understood why it bother people so much. What's the difference between reading a book, taking pictures with a camera which is a electronics device, using a cell phone, a radio or anything else for that matter. Should we outlaw everything? I myself use my cell phone for a lot of things in life (Take pictures, read books, look up something I can't remmeber, call my GF, text a friend look up the weather). It is the way it is and i don't think it should really interfere with someone else life one bit what i do in the park. How one person enjoys life is different than the other. Just because people or me in this case use their devices at disneyland doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the atmosphere. Just my opinion.
    My personal issue with it starts when you're causing an issue with other guests. Most commonly it's on rides like the train through the Grand Canyon/Primeval World section where there's glass between you and the exhibit. All the lit up screens can become a serious distraction. It can also be incredibly distracting on the Subs due to the enclosed space - someone anchored to their phone/pad hammering away next to you is both a distracting light as well as usually inadvertent elbows to the ribs. Mansion's also a rather irritating place - nothing like looking at Leota and having your eyes snagged because someone's on their tablet providing the brightest primary light source in the room.

    This is also without considering the issues present with people recording at shows, fireworks and such. It's one thing to capture a memory - it's another when your upthrust recording device is blocking everyone else's first and only shot at the memory.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    My personal issue with it starts when you're causing an issue with other guests. Most commonly it's on rides like the train through the Grand Canyon/Primeval World section where there's glass between you and the exhibit. All the lit up screens can become a serious distraction. It can also be incredibly distracting on the Subs due to the enclosed space - someone anchored to their phone/pad hammering away next to you is both a distracting light as well as usually inadvertent elbows to the ribs. Mansion's also a rather irritating place - nothing like looking at Leota and having your eyes snagged because someone's on their tablet providing the brightest primary light source in the room.

    This is also without considering the issues present with people recording at shows, fireworks and such. It's one thing to capture a memory - it's another when your upthrust recording device is blocking everyone else's first and only shot at the memory.

    I can see that but how is it any different than a crying kid on a ride? Or kids on parent shoulders. Or baloons in my view. Elderly people who are slower than me. To me I go and have have a blast and try not to let the little things take away from my enjoyment of the parks. Cell phones crying kids ECV, DAS cards etc don't ruin my day i guess.

  14. #14

    • Singing Drinker
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,167

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I can see that but how is it any different than a crying kid on a ride? Or kids on parent shoulders. Or baloons in my view. Elderly people who are slower than me. To me I go and have have a blast and try not to let the little things take away from my enjoyment of the parks. Cell phones crying kids ECV, DAS cards etc don't ruin my day i guess.
    Children crying on the ride are hopefully not a conscious choice of the parent in possession of said child, and aren't the majority of children you run into. There ARE tablets, iPhones etc. lit up on rides that don't present a risk on a majority of trips through the ride.

    I don't have a problem with using them in line and in places where the use of the device doesn't affect those around you or otherwise on the ride/at the show. It's when the user decides that their lighting up the area around them is more important than anyone else's experience - same issue I have with flash pictures on the rides, honestly.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

  15. #15

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    3,093

    Re: The Zombie Apocalypse is here! Anyone with experience with texting zombies on rid

    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Children crying on the ride are hopefully not a conscious choice of the parent in possession of said child, and aren't the majority of children you run into. There ARE tablets, iPhones etc. lit up on rides that don't present a risk on a majority of trips through the ride.

    I don't have a problem with using them in line and in places where the use of the device doesn't affect those around you or otherwise on the ride/at the show. It's when the user decides that their lighting up the area around them is more important than anyone else's experience - same issue I have with flash pictures on the rides, honestly.

    I agree there. it's the whole generalization of people on their phones always that stirkes a cord with me In my perfect world there is no flash pictures, or crying children, or IPAD recordings on attractions but when it happens I still enjoy my times in the parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Anyone have experience with Fox rental cars
    By Disney Magic in forum So. Cal. Travel Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
  2. [Question] Anyone here involved with Club Benevole/VoluntEARS?
    By Sosai X in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM
  3. Anyone have experience with going to WDW in mid-April?
    By Nom in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
  4. Anyone with Pictures of the Matterhorn with its Christmas Star?
    By A Disney Dreamer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •