Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Closed Account

Re: California Screamin'

Yes, the G-forces when you go into a vert loop actually press you into the seat.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    A friend of mine said his lap bar unlocked on Peter Pan's Flight. So he was hanging on to the ship trying not to fall off. He didn't report it either.
    Peter Pan's Flight? I haven't been on that one in about a year (line is always to long) but I remember just being able to sit and not fearing falling off.

I'm glad you did tell someone but really, that kinda worries me.

• The Candidate

That was before they added the loop.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    That was before they added the loop.
    hahaha!

yeah, the loop is awesome!
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by dontbecheekin
    I used to work at a roller coaster and sometimes the locking mechanism is inbetween latches, so to speak. It may have just been it got pushed to a looser notch, then when you pulled it tight, it locked back into the tighter notch.
    also, did you have somebody sitting next to you? sometimes the latches are connected. I mean the lever to unlock the latches are connected and both seats unlock at the same time. If yours had come completely unlatched, the person next you would have done so too.
    This is my understanding as well. That you might have positioned it inbetween clicks. Actually, I also understand that they are always locked--and that they have to be unlocked in the station.

Not to say what you experienced wasn't valid! I'm thinking what happened to you is more serious then we can really understand. That train would have to be dismantled to fix the problem--and they better get on it. That park has had enough undue negativity.

Thanks for reporting it.

Peace out,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

Which train were you in? If you were in the green one, in the row with only one seat, the that's why the other restraint didn't come up

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I've always thought that coasters with this type of restraint system would benefit from the addition of a small strap attached to the front of the seat that would buckle to the bottom of the restraint. Actually, I've been on some coasters that have this feature. This extra "fail-safe" strap is probably not really necessary and would be a slight added expense but it provides a small extra psychological sense of safety to those who mistrust the restraint locks. You see a lot of people pulling for that "one extra click" and nervously checking and rechecking their restraint at the beginning of the ride. (Actually... I've been known to do that too!) You can't see the restraint locks so it's easy to mistrust them. You can see a little strap. Now you can relax and enjoy the ride. (...or is that sense that you might actually fly out of the train part of the thrill?)

I agree that California Screamin' seems to be designed so the g-forces tend to push you into your seat rather than try to fling you out of it. After realizing that, I don't worry so much how tight the restraint is. A little bouncing around can be fun... particularly on the "bunny hills."

That said: I also know that no one has ever been flung off of "X" at Magic Mountain... but I ain't gettin' on that sucker!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• CM for 4 years!

Heh, I rode Screamin' and tried to have my restraint be loose so I could fly out of my seat on the bunny hills... and then when we went through the loop-- CLICK CLICK! Two more clicks and OOF! my stomach! Yeah, that restraint told ME who's boss! haha
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Disney Prince

now that's a thrill ride.

As far as the bunny hills go, last time I was on Screamin' it went so slow on that section that nobody was going anywhere, no air-time at all. Wouldn't have needed a restraint at all.

I'm sorry you were scared by the restraint behaving oddly.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• No marbles to begin with!

LOL. I rode it on friday and I had a similar experience! We were in the loading station and I lowered the harness down pretty close. When the guy came buy to pull on the harnesses he pulled hard on mine and it popped up about one of two clicks(most likely one). It freaked me out, but I went ahead with it holding on much harder than usual. I was also surprised the train had the music. That train was one of the two green ones running that day and i sat on the top right side in either the 4th or 5th car.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

^ That's it, no way am I going on this ride again! O_O

• Banned User

It was kind of scary today because I was riding in the yellow train in row 9 and the ride was very rough. Each time I heard the yellow train launch and go around the turns and through the loop especially, it was making a real loud and rough, "rattly" sound. It was just riding rough and rattled a lot. You can tell the ride needs a good refurbishment.

It is one of my biggest fears to have that bar come open. I'm glad you told us about it after I was there this weekend, otherwise I don't know if I could have gone on it. I was also extrememly happy that the music was playing!!! It is the first time that I have ever heard it in the 5 times I've been there since March and had never been on it before that. But it was only playing one time. When we rode the green train (3x Fri. and Sat. day) it didn't work, but the blue train on Sat. night did. I wanted to ask the CM about when it works, but he wasn't too happy with me because I dropped my Minnie ears and they had to use their long claw thing to get them out . I felt really bad since I was holding up the line. I don't know if the bunny hills are better up front or if it was the train, but on the blue train Sat. night it felt like we didn't have the brake right before the bunny hills. They were so much better! So, good bunny hills and music. Who could ask for more?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12