• Banned User

tell me about space mountain

If you have to, use the spoilers, but I am so interested in this ride and how it works, and such. Is it a small roller coaster ? does it do loops? is it like big thunder mountain speed wise and just go incircles? Sorry to sound lame but I am so excited to try this ride and would like to know what the ride is like

• Rock Star Minion

Re: tell me about space mountain

I don't think anyone should tell you.

However, there are plenty of sites online that will tell you the top speed, the height, the number of left turns, right turns, and loops, the length of the ride in feet and seconds, etc.

Suffice it to say, it's prety tame statistically.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I don't think anyone should tell you.

However, there are plenty of sites online that will tell you the top speed, the height, the number of left turns, right turns, and loops, the length of the ride in feet and seconds, etc.

Suffice it to say, it's prety tame statistically.

well I did go look, but what I found was a roller coaster tycoon video LOL!

• Rock Star Minion

I think that Kevin Yee has a web site devoted to it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I don't ride it!! But I know it has no loops.
    I hear it's really smooth.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Die-hard roller coaster thrill seekers may find it tame, but for the average Disneyland guest, I think it's a pretty good time. As you leave the boarding area, you climb through a couple of futuristically lit tunnels up into outer space. Then you are "launched" into the cosmos via the first drop. Down and down, left and right and in a circular direction you speed along. The sensation is mostly of increasing speed and turns. It is dark inside with "billions and billions" of stars. You can see a bit of the superstructure but if you wear glasses, take them off... or squint a bit. All to a very spacey sound track. You can almost convince yourself it's real. The "re-entry" is a very fun effect I'll keep a secret from you. You're gonna love it!It's my favorite ride.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Wink Re: tell me about space mountain

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    I don't ride it!! But I know it has no loops.
    A CM told me that they were going to add a loop

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Space mountain is not really a "big" coaster in terms of speed (although it feels very fast), height, etc. It's comparable in size and speed to BTM. What makes space mountain special to me is that it is a unique, complete experience. On most coasters, you can see the track and and the real world around you. On SM, you're inside and it's so dark you can't see the track. What you can see is hundreds of swirling stars all around you, including below you. It's so smooth, and you get the feel of being whisked around and not knowing where you're going next. The music really completes the experience - I like it and feel it enhances the ride. On the practical side, the seats are very comfortable and it loads fast.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lady3jane
    Space mountain is not really a "big" coaster in terms of speed (although it feels very fast), height, etc. It's comparable in size and speed to BTM. What makes space mountain special to me is that it is a unique, complete experience. On most coasters, you can see the track and and the real world around you. On SM, you're inside and it's so dark you can't see the track. What you can see is hundreds of swirling stars all around you, including below you. It's so smooth, and you get the feel of being whisked around and not knowing where you're going next. The music really completes the experience - I like it and feel it enhances the ride. On the practical side, the seats are very comfortable and it loads fast.
    ohhhhhh I can not wait! I love the dark rides!! thank you so much.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Die-hard roller coaster thrill seekers may find it tame, but for the average Disneyland guest, I think it's a pretty good time. As you leave the boarding area, you climb through a couple of futuristically lit tunnels up into outer space. Then you are "launched" into the cosmos via the first drop. Down and down, left and right and in a circular direction you speed along. The sensation is mostly of increasing speed and turns. It is dark inside with "billions and billions" of stars. You can see a bit of the superstructure but if you wear glasses, take them off... or squint a bit. All to a very spacey sound track. You can almost convince yourself it's real. The "re-entry" is a very fun effect I'll keep a secret from you. You're gonna love it!It's my favorite ride.
    wow! so do I need to have my head held back so I do not get whipped like on the roller coaster In DCA? or is the take off pretty smooth? thisride soundsso exciting! I will definatly take my glasses off! thank you so much!

• It's a dead man's party!

^ In my opinion, you don't have to really worry about your head. SM is smooth. Before they redid it, it was getting pretty jerky.

The start is really slow, until you pass the large moon to your left (or whatever it is). That's when the ride starts going fast.
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    ohhhhhh I can not wait! I love the dark rides!! thank you so much.
    Karla...I admit that I'm not that big a roller coaster fan. I don't like Six Flags or now Cedar Point parks like Knott's that have the big scary ones that exist for just that purpose. Do I do enjoy a well-themed coaster such as BTMRR...and Space. Space is just loads of fun...and I take special pride in saying that I saw both Space and BTMRR built from the ground up when I worked there. You'll love Space Mountain.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Thank you!! I am not a thrills person though a ghood belly tickle is what I love. TOT to me was sooooo scary, but I did go on it 2 times. Ilove coasters if there is no huge drops. Iwas amazed with screaming, that was so unscary and so smooth that it was fun!! I amso excited about my up coming trip, this will be there very first time my daughter will acually have 3 days to ride what she wants and to experience it all for the first time. When we went in august 2004 we did not do much, the crowds were bad, the heat was horrible and we could not convince the 3 year old Disneyland was fun! ( we went in August) we spent 90% of the tme in the motel pool this time she is going to have a ball!! it will be here first time ever for 99% of the rides

SM is an awesome coaster. Ok, it won't scare the bejeezus out of anyone, I don't think, but it's fast and it's smooth and it's fun.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.